Engine Oil 10w40 - Recommendation?

FastEric

Dec 30, 2014
What brand would you recommend for Proton Wira car?

Currently using FUCHS but seems not as good as Castrol Magnetec I used in the past. Thinking of trying Shell or Petronas. What's your call?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Different individual, different car, different feel. If trying out different brands, just use them to find which you like best, then stick to that....:biggrin:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
i use Caltex 10w40 for my Honda which i use for track days.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
What brand would you recommend for Proton Wira car?

Currently using FUCHS but seems not as good as Castrol Magnetec I used in the past. Thinking of trying Shell or Petronas. What's your call?
Just go to Tesco or AEON and buy which ever popular brands (Mobil, Total, Shell, Castrol, Petronas, Mitsubishi Oil/Eneos) available there when on promotions (around rm80-90/4ltr) coz that's very good value for money. Should be good enough for your Wira.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Just go to Tesco or AEON and buy which ever popular brands (Mobil, Total, Shell, Castrol, Petronas, Mitsubishi Oil/Eneos) available there when on promotions (around rm80-90/4ltr) coz that's very good value for money. Should be good enough for your Wira.
agree

i actually just bought a 5L bottle of Total 10w40 for RM80

damn good value...

not gonna be using it on my Honda though...gonna be for the family ride :driver:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
No wonder Tesco sells, so much advertisement from us......hhahahhahahha:biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
No wonder Tesco sells, so much advertisement from us......hhahahhahahha:biggrin:
Hahaha, I'm not Tesco agent though, just another happy customer who is sharing so that people can get better value for their money instead of getting chopped by normal shops. :biggrin:

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Just wondering.....I am currently using Total 5w30....But then, Malaysia weather so hot couple with my engine being turbocharged, wouldnt it be too much heat for the oil grade to take? I mean i am just guessing la.

What do you guys think? Would the viscosity for the 5w be very thin and cannot protect the engine with the heat that its going through? :confused:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Just wondering.....I am currently using Total 5w30....But then, Malaysia weather so hot couple with my engine being turbocharged, wouldnt it be too much heat for the oil grade to take? I mean i am just guessing la.

What do you guys think? Would the viscosity for the 5w be very thin and cannot protect the engine with the heat that its going through? :confused:
dont worry abt the front fiigure as its for cold climate country which we arent.
only worry abt the rear figure.
why there is 2?
because its multigrade oil which is design work on wider climate.

nowadays all modern engine are recommended to run on x30w.
this is due to the near perfect tolerence the manufacturing process can achieve.
old engine are most suitable on thicker oilxw50 to reduces oil consuption and increase protection as the wear and tear is going to be huge.
its something like that.

however,castrol edge have xw60 for track purpose.
can u ised it daily,yes but with compromise on usable performance and ftankly its a total waste of money.

highest u can go in my point of view is xw40.if the current service center 5w30 is super expensive.
but sc wont do it as to avoid their so called warranty.
the current fill your sc uses are of api SN grade if not mistaken which supposedly has super eco friendly substance and quality and which is why its super expensive.
at tesco i doubt there are oil besing sold with high api hrade like that.

what important after yr oil grade is to change it on time as yrs is turbo engine.
even i'm on na,i change less than the so recommended oci as the oil at tesco are too cheap.
heck i used their fs oil for only 5k km.
so will be with the total energy my waja is on.

mc888

Known Member
Apr 8, 2010
Little HK
Valvoline 10-40 not bad but so far sumo 10-60 is really damn good.

Silky smooth & big contrast compare to 10-40.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
dont worry abt the front fiigure as its for cold climate country which we arent.
only worry abt the rear figure.
why there is 2?
because its multigrade oil which is design work on wider climate.

nowadays all modern engine are recommended to run on x30w.
this is due to the near perfect tolerence the manufacturing process can achieve.
old engine are most suitable on thicker oilxw50 to reduces oil consuption and increase protection as the wear and tear is going to be huge.
its something like that.

however,castrol edge have xw60 for track purpose.
can u ised it daily,yes but with compromise on usable performance and ftankly its a total waste of money.

highest u can go in my point of view is xw40.if the current service center 5w30 is super expensive.
but sc wont do it as to avoid their so called warranty.
the current fill your sc uses are of api SN grade if not mistaken which supposedly has super eco friendly substance and quality and which is why its super expensive.
at tesco i doubt there are oil besing sold with high api hrade like that.

what important after yr oil grade is to change it on time as yrs is turbo engine.
even i'm on na,i change less than the so recommended oci as the oil at tesco are too cheap.
heck i used their fs oil for only 5k km.
so will be with the total energy my waja is on.

Well, the oils sold at Tesco do have the same rating as others and they're the same well known good brands like Mobil & Total. The last oil I bought which is the Mobil 3000 5w40 is also rated as SN oil. Total 5w40 there is also SN, as well as the other brands like Castrol, Shell, & Petronas. I'm doing OCI in my Mark X at 10k km using oils from Tesco/AEON (Mobil, Eneos) for many years already and no problem what so ever. I think you're wasting your money changing it at 5k intervals but it's up to you what ever gives you your peace of mind I suppose. :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've recently installed exedy 4 puck sprung clutch kit to my 4g92. I've just reached 500KM on it. I understood that this type of clutch would be much more stiffer feeling and also it can cause the car to vibrate especially during a standstill start of in 1st gear.

after taking the car out from the workshop, it feels like expected on puck clutches. (jerks/vibrate during releasing clutch at 1st gear from a standstill). after driving it in for 400-500 KM, the clutch starts to feel much less...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience