Drive Shaft Leaking

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi

I've got a problem with the front drive shaft (left side).

1) Anyone know why there's a some sort of an oil leak at the front drive shaft?
2) Can be repaired or need the replace the shaft?
3) Dangerous to continue driving?
4) What happens if the condition is being left as it is?

Some pictures below. Thanks.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
the rubber boot is torn, and the grease inside bled out. the boot is used to keep sand, dirt, and water out of the cv joint, to prolong its life. when the boot is torn like in this instace, determine if the cv joint is still good in its operation eg no vibration on corners, no noise coming from it, etc. if its still in good condition, just change the boot je, if its not or in so-so condition, its suggested for u to change either the cv joint alone, or replace the whole drive shaft (this wud be the easier but more expensive way). things like this is better to repair or at least be inspected asap

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
u can change the rubber.. if it doesn't make any sound..

if there's sound, change the CV joint or driveshaft..

the cause of that is either the rubber cover broke or poor workmanship

better repair it b4 u take it for a ride..

Gudluck :burnout:

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi D7zul,

It doesn't make any sound. I think the rubber cover broke due to wear and tear. Just curious to know, where does the oil comes from?

Thanks.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
there isnt oil in d rubber, just grease. if the grease is sumhow splashed on a hot area, then it will melt and seems like oil, maybe.. but, on a more serious note, if u really see oil in the engine bay, then there may be a leak sumwhere in the engine, which i dont think is the case here by looking at the pix. oh, i suggest u use high temp high pressure grease the next time u fix this up

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
yeah.. i think it's grease u looking at..

to be safe.. look around that area.. got oil leaking or not..

if not, u're lucky :wink:

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi,

just curious to know:
1) if it made sound, what does it mean?
2) if there is a oil leak, where does it comes from?
3) reconditioning - cv joint and boot kit, any mechanic to recommend or it can by done ordinarily by any foreman?

here's a look of the the right side of the front drive shalf, seems the grease is leaking but not as severe as on the left side.

thanks.

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
better get the drive shafts boots replaced asap, where financial allows. driveshafts are very important where replacements can get very expensive if you not diy, however be reminded that if you want to diy, this is one of the most greasy work there is. haha!be prepared to get dirty!!

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
hi,

just curious to know:
1) if it made sound, what does it mean?
**yr car will judder when pick up, in the long run the driveshaft 'gigi' will be haus.2) if there is a oil leak, where does it comes from?
**its the grease, its normal.3) reconditioning - cv joint and boot kit, any mechanic to recommend or it can by done ordinarily by any foreman?
**should be an easy job. the cv joint could be bought at any spare part shop, quite common if u using proton la.
here's a look of the the right side of the front drive shalf, seems the grease is leaking but not as severe as on the left side.

thanks.
replies in red bro.

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi leynye yamin,

haha, this is way too "sophisticated" for me to diy.

hi DanzEterna,

i drive a nissan. so, the cv joint and boot kit are direct replacements? replacements are better than servicing/repair coz these parts looks worn out. my mileage is about 140,000km now. do i still need to get the high-temp grease?

thanks.

thanks.

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
thanks huakenny. will ask the mechanic to check the joint while he's at it too :)

when i first saw the grease, it didn't strike me at first that it was grease and i thought where did i did ran over a huge pill of some "organic" matter! haha

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi,

spoke to my mech, he says need to remove tyre, and then front drive shaft for a new set of boot rubber cover and grease. a week ago i've made a front wheel alignment, and i know it's inevitable that the shaft needs to come out in order to get the replacements in, my question is, does this work affect the wheel alignment and do I need to redo the alignment again?

hi huakenny,

do you know the rough estimate of the labour work for this replacements?

Thanks.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

'(00): Plastic Headlight lenses become dull, pitted and frosted over time, much contributed by weather, road debris, wash chemicals and other bad stuff. Replacing entire units are always a pain so why not recondition them with your own hands? All you need: Sandpaper in multiple grits, some compound, polish, rotary buffer, pads an a couple of hours :)

I was requested by my GF's parents to buy...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience