DIY Voltage Stabilizer

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Made with RM 50 worth of components, about 30 capacitors both electrolytic and ceramic to enable filtering of both high and low frequency interference...

Works better than a Pivot Raizin (I have one, so I can compare). Ignition is harder and cleaner, and my sound system sounds real sweet... :smile:

Not my best work...was rushing...but my next one will be a masterpiece... :smile:

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
wah lau .. defcon .. interesting .. can make ur own side income & sell it in ZTH

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
I can help to do some soildering work too!!!! pls pls pls....let's build this!

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Heh...it's too easy to do... :)

Soldering is the key...everything has to be soldered to...well...military grade?...cos of the vibrations.

Also, I am still refining the design a little. Original design came from a Japanese webpage...copied to an Indo webpage...but is flawed... (this one is already improved. It filters both high frequency and low frequency interference)...

a) They used only electrolytic capacitors - good for filtering of low frequency, high amplitude interference, but useless on high frequency interference. For high frequency interference, you need a whole bank of ceramic capacitors.

b) Original design was fused. Not really required on a Voltage Stabilizer. Actually, basically useless. A good Voltage Stabilizer should be surge resistant... :smile:

c) Original design was a pure Voltage Stabilizer. I want a design that incorporates a tangible pool of power for those situations that require it...like big bass woofers... :) For this, I need a capacitor storage bank. Currently researching the different types of capacitors used to see what I can use.

d) Final design should incorporate a pair of external connectors so that you can fabricate cables of different lengths required by your preferred positioning. Anyone can get me some simple copper bolts and nuts?

e) Wires. The ones I used were good, but damn difficult to manage cos they were too thick. We need some about the thickness of the pivot wires.

f) And now, for the flash part. How does a digital voltmeter sound to you? Plus a window that will allow you to see all the components in any colour LED you choose? Only prob is...the only digital voltmeter I could find cost RM 75...not a worth while investment.

Actually, I've already designed this new, improved VS in my mind. I can guarantee that it will work. And I have no intention of selling it to fellow members of the Cefiro Club. Get me components and I will make them for you. Or, we could organize a "Build your own VS weekend"... well...buy me some capacitors and I'll be happy...:smile:

The size would depend on the type and capacity of the VS you want. A simple pivot type VS (but with double the effectiveness) would be about the size of the pivot. BUT a full 'powerbank filter" would be about 10"x5"x3". Fits perfectly sitting on top of the relay box in front of the battery. I didn't even tape mine down cos I'm still playing with it. Just put it there and it sits... :smile:

Interested? How about this Sunday? Saturday afternoon to get the components. Sunday to assemble. I have 2 soldering irons, so if anyone has some good soldering skills (sorry, but with the vibrations in the engine bay, "decent" isn't good enough). I estimate that it would take about 2 hours to solder things together. Can probably fabricate 3 - 4 units in about 3 hours then test drive and TT... :laugh:

Interested, let me know... :smile:

Last edited:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Damn...I just found out that Zaptor Silver has only 4 caps and Zaptor Gold has 7. Mine has 42!! No wonder it works better...lol... :laugh:

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
hope you guys dun mind a toyotarian snooping in here.. but..

the only digital voltmeter I could find cost RM 75
what do you mean by this? izit the same as those diginal multimeter where you can measure alot of things? well, it got a big screen and its fairly accurate, made in china, the one i got cost me rm20++ only, works perfectly until i do something stupid and measure something over 1000volt and it burned (well, my bad actually, said so in the manual i can't do that).

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
rollakid said:
hope you guys dun mind a toyotarian snooping in here.. but..

what do you mean by this? izit the same as those diginal multimeter where you can measure alot of things? well, it got a big screen and its fairly accurate, made in china, the one i got cost me rm20++ only, works perfectly until i do something stupid and measure something over 1000volt and it burned (well, my bad actually, said so in the manual i can't do that).
:rofl:
lucky its only rm20...

get another 1 la...:smile:

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
i'm very interested in the diagram/design also.. the thread in the DIY section gone too long and its tired to read every page and people just talk random stuff inside too.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Hi Guys,

Actually, I don't have a circuit design. I'm building them as I go along. Just connect all the positive legs together and all the negative. Currently working on a 88 cap VS. I'll draw the diagram and post the components required when I finish, which should be in about a day or two. Also thinking of incorporating some more flash features such as a transparent window, and a digital display. If I go a little crazy, I might build in a few more features...like an AF ratio indicator...depends on whether I have the time to build it.

The digital voltmeter I am talking about, I found at Sunway. Small little component with 4 wires...RM 75. The device you are talking about is a multimeter. Cheap from China. Heh...maybe I'll buy one and strip it for parts... :smile:

Btw please disregard my comments about Zaptor. It's a nice product and certainly much better priced (and works better too) than a pivot raizin. Good for people who don't want to spend hours soldering bits and pieces together.

I got a note, I assume, from the guy who makes them, and I can understand that he was a little offended. They DO incorporate some nice design features. My appologies to Zaptor and I hope that they will take a more active role in our forums... :smile:

Last edited:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
ongteckweng said:
deffy...those zaptor fellows pm u ah? trying to sue to u? :biggrin:
Nah...just asked me not to refer to Zaptor in my thread. A fair request since this is a diy thread and they are in it for the business... :smile:

In future, I shall refer to these products as Brand "Z" and Brand "P"... :rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello there, sirazul if i'm not mistaken?

Recently my car has been acting up. I'm having problems engaging 1st and 2nd gear even when i have stepped on the clutch (manual 1.6 proton). This occurs only to 1st and 2nd gear. What could be the problem? The clutch doesn't seem to be acting up.

Somebody has told me it could be the synchros. However being a regular car user, I wouldn't be too sure of it. Which is why i'm seeking your advice.

How much would it cost for you guys to do a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience