[DIY] Replacing A/C Compressor Belt

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
Didn't take any photo due to time constrain.

Basically, the belt started to give me the annoying "chet chet chet" sound whenever it gets hot. SC says no need to change since it will cost a lot if I let them touch it.

It's been a year or so. Tried tightening the adjuster bolt, adding lubricant (top glide), silicone grease but non of them seems to be able to solve the problem for more that a hour drive.

Finally gave up so decided to take the belt out to clean it.

Simple, but since it was the first attempt, I took about 1.5 hour to remove it, with the aid of a RM15 LED torch light, at night.

Tools: 12mm spaner, 13mm spaner, 8mm spaner. Better if you have the sockets and rachet as well.

Steps:
(applicable to S-VDO wira with Patco compressor)

1. loosen the 13mm tightening bolt on top of the compressor.
2. loosen the two 13mm bolts at the bottom of the compressor.
3. loosen the 12mm adjuster bolt (long one) sufficient enough to let you push the compressor towards the engine block, to loosen the belt.
4. remove the 8mm bolt securing the crank pulley magnetic timing sensor, remove the sensor from it's bracket.
5. the belt can now be taken out.

-----------------

So, washed the belt as well as the compressor pulley. Found out that the belt had a small crack. But was too late to get a replacement. So tighten back everything without the belt (leae the adjuster bolt as it is). My wife just need to drive the car the next day without the a/c lar..

So, the next day, got the belt (BANDO SP-RAF, 3290) from the sparepart shop I know quite well. Did a fast replacement job in 30 minutes. Basically just reversing the procedures above.

You need quite a lot of strength to push the compressor towards the engine, an at the same time sloting the belt into the pulley. Did it alone as there isn't much space for 2 person to work together.

It's as quiet as a baby. But I can hear other noises clearer. Some are from the injectors, some are from within the cam cover, some (I hope not) are from the timing belt. Got to tackle them one by one (except those from the injectors). Still noisy, but much quieter.

Cost? RM8. :D

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
applying lubricant of any sort to the belts are a big no no. I tried that last time and it made my problem worse. Not even STP's belt dressing, it screws up the belt big time. But once i did use a water hose and simply washed the belt with the engine running, no prob after that.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My dad's friend who owns this Cefiro has been looking for someone to fix his so called "scratches" around his car. For me, i see swirls, RIDs, and alot of abuse...

So as for today ive only slept 6 hours since my last detail. abit worn out abit tired, i had to push my passion to the limit and give this babe a big big smile to her owner! :love: Passion Rules!

Before i start the prescription..some teasers =p...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience