DIY Caliper Painting

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
As chnace would have it, i'm painting my calipers before they're installed. This is going to take approximately 1 week so be patient.

Tools
Dremmel with Wire Brush attachment
Polishing Bit

So after some time removing oil residue and scrubbing with wire brush i hooked i the dremmel and results are good thus far. The brake dust is stubborn and will not come off even with really harsh degreaser. ~becareful not to use harsh liquids as they may damage piston rubber boots.~

jasonlel

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
phat7,

check PM... :)

phat7 said:
As chnace would have it, i'm painting my calipers before they're installed. This is going to take approximately 1 week so be patient.

Tools
Dremmel with Wire Brush attachment
Polishing Bit

So after some time removing oil residue and scrubbing with wire brush i hooked i the dremmel and results are good thus far. The brake dust is stubborn and will not come off even with really harsh degreaser. ~becareful not to use harsh liquids as they may damage piston rubber boots.~

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/fd3s7007/caliper005.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/fd3s7007/caliper006.jpg

SideWaysGrey

500 RPM
May 12, 2004
Seremban, NS
Visit site
bugger went on and on about it la...
but yeah, gota admit, nice finishing to it dude
think I'll do the same for mine too

saru-kun

Known Member
Jan 4, 2004
PJ
saru-kun.blogspot.com
Hiee Dev,

Since your calipers are out, I hope you don't mind, but could you measure the diameters of the pistons for me?

Thanks in advance and cheers.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
dev,

what color are you putting on ? gold color like ur whole car ?

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
red. sure adrian. i'll get the ruler out and take a couple of pics for verification. I got your pm dude. How are things?

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
ok Adrian- the front caliper piston size is as follows:

Larger- 32mm and Smaller - 27mm (mind you it was very hard to get pictures. Hope this helps. I measured from outer dimension of each piston ring.

Updates:

The finishing prior to painting should be like this-

Spot the difference-

Yup- SUMITOMO-NO MO :)

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
the overall scheme is going to be red but MAZDA will remain polished. To achieve this i had to grind down the metal and buff out to shine. Note- You want to make it as smooth as possible-

After of which you give the calipers a good cleaning prior to masking.

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
bro. would like to ask.. SUMITOMO brake pads good?.. im thinkin of getting a new set of brake pads.

* i also wanna spray my caliper. hehe.. waiting for ur result!

saru-kun

Known Member
Jan 4, 2004
PJ
saru-kun.blogspot.com
Alright cheers mate Dev...

By the way its Alex, not Adrian :_:

Things are alright, classes starting tomorrow and by the looks of it, I'm going to hate early mornings hahaha. One of my cooler modules would be intro to manufacturing technology where I'll get to play with a mean as hell CNC machine as well as fabrication and machining facilities wheee~ ^^

Thanks again for the measurements. Didn't know that the FD had differential bore calipers...

Cheers

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
alex,

do u know what's the advantage of differential bore ? this is the 1st time i see also....

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
mrbear said:
bro. would like to ask.. SUMITOMO brake pads good?.. im thinkin of getting a new set of brake pads.

* i also wanna spray my caliper. hehe.. waiting for ur result!
Hi Mrbear,

I've not tried Sumitomo brakepads but i can safely say if its manufactured by Sumitomo there's no doubt its going to be good. With that said, what is the application? Are you normally on street or track? I'll post up pics soon of finished calipers. There's a suprise ;)

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
saru-kun said:
Alright cheers mate Dev...

By the way its Alex, not Adrian :_:

Things are alright, classes starting tomorrow and by the looks of it, I'm going to hate early mornings hahaha. One of my cooler modules would be intro to manufacturing technology where I'll get to play with a mean as hell CNC machine as well as fabrication and machining facilities wheee~ ^^

Thanks again for the measurements. Didn't know that the FD had differential bore calipers...

Cheers
Hi alex, my bad. I've been talking to this guy Adrian that my wife says looks exactly like you. Go figure. I'm getting old mate.

I've wondered as well if there is any sort of difference with different bore sizes? I'll be removing my old calipers and i'll re-measure the dimensions. We'll have to determine exact difference between the two.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
dev is not old..... old man can't handle 300 over hp :P

saru-kun

Known Member
Jan 4, 2004
PJ
saru-kun.blogspot.com
GAAAHHHHHHHHHH :angry_smile:

I wrote the reply down a couple of hours ago and the server crashed when I clicked submit...wtf

Nyaahhhh *bitch bitch bitch rant rant rant*

Abang Dev not old laaaaa.... (polish kasut...cos I wanna ride in your Vios coloured seven when I come back next time ^^)

Anyway, not sure if I've gotten all my terms correct but here goes. Differential bore caliper pistons are designed to even out taper wear. When the pads clamp down onto the rotor, the spinning rotor's torque sort of 'drags' on the pad and 'pulls' the trailing edge of the pad away from the rotor...resulting in more wear up front on the leading edge (of the pad). Hence piston diameters are larger where the trailing edge of the pad is.

Crap...brain isn't working now...my apologies if I gotten the trailing edge and leading edge mixed up, please do correct me, someone.

This is sort of like how you adjust some toe in on your bicycle brake pads. Ultimately it is to maintain uniform pad wear.

Cheerios :shades_smile:

EDIT: That Adrian wouldn't be one boonyloh with a black rx-8 from Penang...would he?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum but I've seen a lot of great stuff going on here especially in the DIY sections. Truly Malaysia Boleh SPIRIT!!!

I've been wanting to install a engine start button for my car (for the cool factor ). Sorry in advance as I know that this DIY has been done on this DIY section before. I'm adding pictures to my post thru the process of installing the start button.

Here it goes...

1. Engine Start Button...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience