can i install turbo without engine lift?

imshirazy

Nov 3, 2005
I'm getting a turbo kit soon because i will need it since i am in an amateur racing league and have been losing often. I usually do my own car modifications oil changes etc, but i was wondering would i be able to install a turbo for a 2000 honda civic ex without an engine lift? because that is something i don't have in my garage

edit: any suggestions or tips for anyone who has installed their own turbo?

double edit: i think i put this in the wrong section :frown:

Last edited:

white_bird

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2005
puchong
lift the engine??? oh i forgot ur k series engine right?? the exhaust is at the back huh.. i suggest u better let an expert to do da job la.. the piping also hav to calculate again...

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
How are u able to access/remove the oil sump to tap the Turbo lubrication return line without a car lift/jack?

Trying to remove the nuts/bolts of the extractor from above will be next to impossible.

USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB. You definately need a car lift.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Oppssss.....I did'nt read correctly.

You don need engine lift because you don need to remove the engine.

You defitnately need a car lift though.

imshirazy

Nov 3, 2005
white_bird said:
lift the engine??? oh i forgot ur k series engine right?? the exhaust is at the back huh.. i suggest u better let an expert to do da job la.. the piping also hav to calculate again...
nah the headers are at the front, but it seems impossible to do it
here's a picture of a turbo attached to more or less what my engine looks like it's close enough
http://www.edelbrock.com/media/news/2004/automotive/images/092704.jpg
the only reason i think i may need to lift the engine is because it will be really difficult to install piping if i dont

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Joeker said:
Oppssss.....I did'nt read correctly.

You don need engine lift because you don need to remove the engine.

You defitnately need a car lift though.
sorry bro.....newbie here...hehe

wat the diferent between engine lift n car lift?

izzit car lift = car jack?

then engine lift = engine jack?

k3vi3

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
ss3 pj
car lift - lift up the whole body by the chassis
engine lift - usually the 3 ton pulley assembly ah...that one la

trancebum

Known Member
Feb 17, 2004
you dont need engine lift. the piping can be installed without taking the engine out. it's not easy..but can be done. u'll have to take off the front bumper as well to put in the intercooler n pipings. if u're using the original bumper, u may have to shave off some inside parts of the bumper as well (this was installing a DRAG stage 1 turbo n intercooler into a civic EK coupe). as for removing the oil sump, as joeker said, u'll probably have to use a car jack to jack up the car to remove the sump.

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
you can do it -- as long as you can remove your head from the block without lifting the engine block out from the engine bay, then you shouldn;t have any problem installing the turbo kit. AND you actually do not need to remove the head unless you want to change the gasket & compression.....

the most difficult part is the fitting the turbine without relocating the radiator, if you have enough space to fit the extractor with turbine without relocating your radiator, you will save a lot of time.

cos normally the header of NA car is already very close to the radiator (& fan), after you add the new extractor with turbine, it may get stuck with the radiator fan.... this is the main concern.....

and since it is a track car, so i guess you will not have problem cutting your bumper to fit the i/cooler also.... good luck....

*i've seen someone fitting turbo to a DC5 without removing the engine from engine bay also.... so your case should be able to be DIY....

imshirazy

Nov 3, 2005
ok well thanks for the help so far, now i need to know can i get a turbo kit for under 1000 bucks?

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
imshirazy said:
ok well thanks for the help so far, now i need to know can i get a turbo kit for under 1000 bucks?
custom made the piping also cost most of your 1000 already.... somemore your kit has to be custom made...extractor, intake, i/cooler, etc..... dont dream with 1000....heheheee