Budget Car Audio Set-up for All

mnkh0027

Known Member
Jan 14, 2004
Pj, Selangor
www.audio-creations.com
Okay guys, I assume you read the ICE section because you have some interest in car audio or plan to get started with a basic system. After reading many of the postings here I noticed that many of you have no idea what to buy, where to buy or even where to begin. There are so many brands out there and you have no idea on them, on which are branded and which are not (cap ayam).

I'm going to make it easy for the newbies so that you won't get confused on what to buy. It becomes difficult since you can't judge the item by its looks or even the specification printed on the box. 2000w printed on the box does not mean anything because it could be rated at peak power to catch your attention. It's a marketing tactic to lure people that have no knowledge on car audio or at least the basics.

I understand that not everyone would like to get technical and all you want is a nice sounding system for the money you spend. Therefore, I'll do my best to help recommend a system for different budgets. You do not have to buy them from me. Remember that! If you have other ideas of a good system for the money, please feel free to contribute.

Remember that Knowledge that Will Get What You Want (and Not What the Salesman Wants to Sell You).

References if you need to increase your knowledge on car audio or even to get technical -

www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm - many articles to get you started

www.bcae1.com - for the more advanced

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would highly recommend saving up to at least RM2000-3000 for your first system unless you can find something similar cheaper secondhand. If you start with systems costing no more than RM2000 for the whole set, I am afraid that you may change them soon enough and by the end of the year, you'll calculate back and find that you've wasted money due to unnecessary upgrade or change of equipment.

Basic system - cost RM2100

Helix Blue 62MkII 6-1/2" component set
Helix Deep Blue 12" Subwoofer
Precision Power PCX440 4-channel amplifier

note: prices does not include wiring and workmanship as this will depend on the quality/level of cables and workmanship that you are willing to spend.

Last edited:

sta

500 RPM
Dec 26, 2004
brand new items i assume?
used stuffs will save one-third of the price

Pjam

Known Member
May 31, 2005
sj
kudos to mnkh0027 for helping out fellow icers, newbie or 'oldbie' alike.. :)
i think your recommended system setup is enticing, price wise good, brand wise reputable..
maybe icers or would be icers also need to know how much is the installation cost ie. workmanship, wiring/cables... for cables, it could be 'normal' reliable ones, need not be high end kinda cables; for workmanship, it could be on average..
then, interested forumers can factor in all prices b4 making decisions.. other factor to think of is which installer to go to.. workmanship is also important.. dun have to be famous or well known installer, it can be those with good workmanship & charges fairly for their services.. :cool:

SanTa_Clause

Known Member
Dec 21, 2003
kl
pics and details for this setup would be nice(technical specs,items included(woofer box,cabling,workmanship)....location??hp number n maybe got discount?

yobha

Known Member
May 17, 2005
KL
Hi

Wahhh from germany stuff :D

mnkh0027

Known Member
Jan 14, 2004
Pj, Selangor
www.audio-creations.com

SanTa_Clause said:
pics and details for this setup would be nice(technical specs,items included(woofer box,cabling,workmanship)....location??hp number n maybe got discount?
Choosing an installer is a personal thing. I wouldn't post or recommend a shop but if you're really lost you can PM me or call me for some suggestions.

As a general guide, workmanship can cost anywhere from a simple rm150 to rm500. A subwoofer box can cost between rm100-180 or even RM200+ for customized ones that requires fibreglass work. Cabling again depends on what you're looking for... really cheap ones, pasar road ones, a bit of brand ones, branded ones or exotic ones.

Thanks calvin for the links. Teh tarik on me! :)

cbkhoon and yobha: Just doing my little to help. Like they say, you get what you pay for.

I just got my DLS price list. I wonder if you guys are keen on DLS.

ahchun

Known Member
Jan 5, 2005
wanna ask how much is Precision Power PCX440 4-channel amplifier?
Thanks

Xbox

Jul 21, 2005
Cheras

I'm interested too. How much ?? Just Amp.

Brand new?
Original? ( a lot of mentioned about fakes lately)

Cheers

Spoon DC5 II

Known Member
May 21, 2005
Bedok
if i am not mistaken the price is RM1100

and pls...i can hardly find any fake amps but fake comp sets

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
mnkh0027 said:
If you start with systems costing no more than RM2000 for the whole set, I am afraid that you may change them soon enough and by the end of the year, you'll calculate back and find that you've wasted money due to unnecessary upgrade or change of equipment.
Heh, I went that way...lucky didnt lose alot of money.
You just need to learn how to find good deals:D
Sadly, that lesson is expensive.

OT,
Mike, thanks for the phase check last time.

Bert

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Muddy Delta
Visit site
The PPI amp is RM 1000. Its a new amp and comes with all connectors etc.

Good amp for starting out as if in the future you upgrade other components in your system, you can still keep this amp. You can brige it to 160x2 for higher rated component sets or to whack the mids or tweeters or even run the front active with the built in crossover which has the ability to do so.

GeneX

Known Member
Nov 4, 2004
-
r3gister.blogspot.com
How much does the Helix Blue 62MkII 6-1/2" component set cost?

BTW,how much does wiring and workmanship for midrange quality cost?

Last edited:

tortis96

Known Member
Oct 27, 2004
wah... get so much good comments wor.....

but y hor... i see the barang..... like not original oni:P

cheers man. i got my stuffs from him. it was good in the beginning... but as time goes on.. u know la. we tend to get used to it and get bored.. i planning to change liao lor when i get my new car soon:) wana do the whole system again. that time my boot will be fiber glassed... did research at ACP.

anyway... mike sells good things and has a good price. tekan him more and he'll give a better price:) cheers.

barang good can liao although it may not look original... hor mike hor:P

cheers

mnkh0027

Known Member
Jan 14, 2004
Pj, Selangor
www.audio-creations.com
tortis96 said:
wah... get so much good comments wor.....

but y hor... i see the barang..... like not original oni:P

cheers man. i got my stuffs from him. it was good in the beginning... but as time goes on.. u know la. we tend to get used to it and get bored.. i planning to change liao lor when i get my new car soon:) wana do the whole system again. that time my boot will be fiber glassed... did research at ACP.

anyway... mike sells good things and has a good price. tekan him more and he'll give a better price:) cheers.

barang good can liao although it may not look original... hor mike hor:P

cheers
Not original? Please elaborate. There's even a serial number and security seal for the amp. I think you're the only person that tekan me for a PPI PCX440 amp for RM800, giving me all kind of stories and I didn't give in isn't it? That's crazy pricing.

Btw, I've not met you yet, have I? How come you go all the way to ACP when you're in Melaka?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We’ve all wondered what it would be like, but few could actually get the chance to put it in practice. What are we talking about? It’s a direct comparison of between driving a course in real life and on Gran Turismo 5 with the same car and wheelman.

Denis Malevanyi is quite the driver and he’s hustled a BMW M3 around the Nurburgring with the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience