Budget Car Audio Set-up for All

tortis96 said:
wah... get so much good comments wor.....

but y hor... i see the barang..... like not original oni:P

cheers man. i got my stuffs from him. it was good in the beginning... but as time goes on.. u know la. we tend to get used to it and get bored.. i planning to change liao lor when i get my new car soon:) wana do the whole system again. that time my boot will be fiber glassed... did research at ACP.

anyway... mike sells good things and has a good price. tekan him more and he'll give a better price:) cheers.

barang good can liao although it may not look original... hor mike hor:P

cheers

so ur the guy that has been pushing for the price to rm800.00

ultimate student budget i believe?

Mike, if I were to have a budget of RM2k for amp, front speakers and subwoofer for example, which must include installation and all necessary hardware, what would you recommend?

Where are you located, btw?

wetsprocket said:
Mike, if I were to have a budget of RM2k for amp, front speakers and subwoofer for example, which must include installation and all necessary hardware, what would you recommend?

Where are you located, btw?

Working on it! Honestly, that is a super tight budget for a good system and install.

1) Labour + speaker and power cable - RM250
2) MB Quart DSD 216 - RM388
3) Precision Power PCX440 4ch amp - RM1000

That leaves you RM362 for a subwoofer and a pair of RCA cables. Can't even find you a second hand CDT subwoofer with enclosure. Hmm...

Helix stuff made in Germany, for the price? sure? How about the amp, China punya?
the RM2k setup seems like a bargain, if the speakers are German made.

this definately caught my interest.

bro mnkh0027, then if i want tweeter at the front and back, + those front back speaker+ those u mention..... then definitely over 3~4k lol..... :eek:
if i use back my stock speaker (front and back)....?
how much that i need to prepare?
and where u located??

offtopic... how bout these stuffs... http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=41071..... ok or not ar??

Last edited:
keep the rear stock la, no need to change, use your money for the fronts :biggrin:

how come we dun need to change the rear speakers once we have 2 front comps, an amp and a sub? curious... :hmmmm:

Rear speakers are playign very softly and it doesnt detract much from the SQ from the front speakers. Or do what most of us do, diconnecet he rear speakers

ok..point noted..but i thought by having the rear speakers it gives u like a surround sound kinda environment? then y do car manufacturers supply rear spkrs with the front ones?

Last edited:
when u go concert
the singer sing in front of u or sing in front of u WHILE singing at ur backside ;)

hmmm..why do the maunfacturer mount the rear speaker ... becos
the back panel is the best place to mount a speaker
and ..i wonder...which manufacturer provide a sub when buying a new car :secruity:

Last edited:
hehe s15..tat was a good one... i understand the concert layout but how come like in a home theater system u have rear speakers but in an ICE setup it is not needed?

to all u sifus out there, u guys might be laughing ur heart out at my ignorance but i really dunno and wanna learn... :fisheye:

if u watch movies in ur car that's difference case

most of us here listen to music oni ...

maybe u shud refer to spoon dc5 on the rear speaker setup..
his rear speaker can be connect/disconnect..depends on whether he's watching movie or listening to music

happy ICEing

AFAIK, Nissan, Lexus and newer Merc comes with built in subs... I think some Volvo's also have it.

i c i c...now i get it..thanks for the explanation s15... feel a bit smarter now.. :D actually the volvo s80 comes with a sub built-into the dashboard if i m not mistaken...

Volvo

Saw this KF audio tunning a Volvo the other day. He says it's a center speaker on the dashboard.

He was putting a device (something like a thermometer??) with lights and then doing some tunning. Don't know what he's doing.....

Bros, if you want rear and front speakers like home theatre, you CAN.. Dolby 5.1 surround sound. But make sure your player is capable of handling that 5.1 surround sound otherwise it's gonna sound weird in your car. Ie-get a digital processor. Your music CD will need to be surround sound capable too. I don't believe there IS such a thing. DVDs only have that capability. Of course 5.1 systems don't come cheap either. You want, CAN.. be ready to pay for it. And these systems aren't for the feint hearted.

If you want a good sound system, buy a good component set (like the ones Mike recommending) whether it be 2-channel (tweeters + midbass) comp set or 3-channel (tweeters, mid, midbass) comp sets, get a clean amp that produces at least enough power to run your component speakers at RMS value, and get a decent sub + amp to power it and depending on your preference, but it carefully (You wanna boom boom then get a boom boom sub. You wanna nice bassy but not boom boom get a SQ sub).

If you still don't understand, conclusion : BUY FROM MIKE! :D

Btw, Helix components are German made and they made fabulous amps too. If you can afford it, they are good buys. I know cuz I have one! Cheers calvin! :D

wetsprocket said:
Thanks for sparing the time :biggrin: . You wouldnt recommend going without the sub woofer, would you?

A sub is important, but if you can only afford less than RM500 for one (new) then it may be better to give it a pass and focus on your front component + amp.

Honestly, I never seen any sub below RM500 worth considering. Add an enclosure for it, you're looking at RM650 at least. A RM500-800 subwoofer will at minimum not give you the type of 'monotone' bass that ciplak, brothers, sisters and no brand subwoofer is very capable of.

Noticed that those subs sold in Brothers mostly uses ported enclosures? That's because it requires the box to produce the output through the port. You're hearing monotone bass which is hollow, undefined and not musical. Run them in sealed enclosures, you'll probably think why is that piece of thing sitting in your boot taking up space and producing so little output.

I'll explain in the most layman as I can...

A good subwoofer should at least be:

1) musical that you'll be able to listen to the different layers in the low and sub-bass frequency and not just monotone boxy bass

2) musical that it will be able to keep up with the front speakers in speed (or the speed gap is not that obvious)

3) musical that it will be able to blend in with the front speaker tonally to simulate a reasonably good up-front bass (and not just boom-boom from the rear)

A better subwoofer should be able to do all the above and be able to:

1) play lower so that you can reproduce the frequencies in music that other smaller or inferior drivers cannot reproduce

2) produce clean (not muddy), undistorted bass and sub-bass at all volumes without sounding strained

3) be more transparent and disappear in the system so that the up-front bass is more prominent and deeper in the soundstage

The best subwoofers can do all the above and ultimately be able to:

1) keep up with the front high-end components in playing wickedly fast tracks/music

2) play so terribly clean that it will not overwhelm or cover up the front soundstage (not even a bit)

3) play ultra-low frequencies without distortion

then if it possible not to install subwoofer?? or a normaL 1?
because actualli i wan those like clear sound and with a little bass....??
wer can i find u?

.:BreT:. said:
bro mnkh0027, then if i want tweeter at the front and back, + those front back speaker+ those u mention..... then definitely over 3~4k lol..... :eek:
if i use back my stock speaker (front and back)....?
how much that i need to prepare?
and where u located??

offtopic... how bout these stuffs... http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=41071..... ok or not ar??

Always concentrate on the front speakers as they are vital for good SQ and to build a strong soundstage above your dash (eye level). If your stock speakers aren't bad, you can continue to use them for the rear, driven adequately to create a sense of spatiousness/air/fill to complement that strong soundstage created by your front speakers.

If you have 3~4k to spend, I'd recommend splitting it up as follows:

Speakers RM1800-2000
Amplifier RM1500
Sub RM600

I'm in WP/Selangor.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom