Brake upgrade, Lancer CS3A

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Hi

Since my Lancer Engine swap I feel I should do a brake upgrade.

I am lucky that my lancer already has fairly good brakes, with rear disks but I now have about 60% more BHP.

On the back I think I can just put upgraded brake pads but I would like to go bigger on the front.

Current standard set up is 276 MM vented as per here:

I am running 16 inch wheels (which I would like to keep), although the stock wheels were 15 inch, there is still not much clearance on the stock single piston brake calipers:

I take it if I went for different calipers such as 4 pots (maybe from a skyline R32) or 2 pots (maybe from a FTO or Spacewagon, would I have more clearance?

Has anyone done a similar upgrade and what did you do?

cheers

Attachments

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If you used 4 pots, you'd probably have smaller clearance but still ok as long as there is still clearance.

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
why not just get a twin pot caliper from an evo instead of going 4 pots? :driver:
Hi, Which model EVO use twin pot calipers? most EVO calipers I see use Brembo 4 pots but expensive,

Sounds like that would be a good compromise do you know the brake rotor size for this set up?

cheers

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
why not just get a twin pot caliper from an evo instead of going 4 pots? :driver:
Hi, Which model EVO use twin pot calipers? most EVO calipers I see use Brembo 4 pots but expensive,

Sounds like that would be a good compromise do you know the brake rotor size for this set up?

cheers
Yes agree, should be enough just using 2 pot calipers from Evo I-III. But of course if can afford 4 pot and can fit then no harm either.

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Yes agree, should be enough just using 2 pot calipers from Evo I-III. But of course if can afford 4 pot and can fit then no harm either.
Thanks for the reply, will look at the front brake set up used on the Evo 3, do you know the size of the brake disk rotors and the PCD of the wheel studs they use?

My car uses 114.3 PCD with 4 wheel studs, the later Evo's 4 onward have the same PCD but 5 studs as far as I know. Expecting to have to go to a shop to get caliper mountings adapters made, and possibly re drill the rotor holes if I have to, but the less fabricating the better.

I have read the Nissan Skyline r32 gtr uses 296mm rotors as stock and runs 16 inch wheels as stock so I should I guess I should be able to upgrade close to this size for the rotors depending on how much more room the calipers need, my current stock single pot ones do seem to take up a lot of extra clearance as per the pics I posted.

cheers

Last edited:

sanekit

1,500 RPM

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya

cheers
Evo 1-3. I think evo 4 also use 2 pot. Rotor should clear nicely on your 16"

sanekit

1,500 RPM

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Thanks for the reply, will look at the front brake set up used on the Evo 3, do you know the size of the brake disk rotors and the PCD of the wheel studs they use?

My car uses 114.3 PCD with 4 wheel studs, the later Evo's 4 onward have the same PCD but 5 studs as far as I know. Expecting to have to go to a shop to get caliper mountings adapters made, and possibly re drill the rotor holes if I have to, but the less fabricating the better.

I have read the Nissan Skyline r32 gtr uses 296mm rotors as stock and runs 16 inch wheels as stock so I should I guess I should be able to upgrade close to this size for the rotors depending on how much more room the calipers need, my current stock single pot ones do seem to take up a lot of extra clearance as per the pics I posted.

cheers
4x114.3 pcd

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

cheers
Street version of Evo I-III were using 4x114.3 PCD. If R32 then 5x114.3.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Twin ports should do, but get better pads. Also try getting those that can plug and play rather then need to mod further, less headache.....lol
My VR are twin ports, pads same as Pajero V6, probably same as in Evo 1 to 3 also....:driver:

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Twin ports should do, but get better pads. Also try getting those that can plug and play rather then need to mod further, less headache.....lol
My VR are twin ports, pads same as Pajero V6, probably same as in Evo 1 to 3 also....:driver:
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I will get performance pads all round, and look at getting twin pot calapers

Do you think there is much advantage in getting upgraded rotors like the drilled or grooved ones for road use?

cheers

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Do you think there is much advantage in getting upgraded rotors like the drilled or grooved ones for road use?

cheers
You can groove them but do not drill! Coz drilling actually does not do anything to improve your braking but actually makes your rotors more prone to cracking.

Other things that will further improve your braking are:
- change your brake hose to stainless steel braided ones. This will firm up your pedal feel a bit more as it reduces the flexing/bulging of the brake hose when under pressure.
- use DOT 5.1 brake fluid (do not mistaken with DOT 5 ya, that's not compatible!). Can use Bendix 5.1, much cheaper than Motul 5.1. This will reduce the risk of fading on hard driving as the fluid can withstand higher operating temp.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

cheers
Performance pads for street will do, don't get racing pads, those that are real high temperature ones, as for street use you don't need that high. Most high temperature pads needs warming up and do not bite when cold. Of course if you can find high temperature pads that bites when cold then get them but should be costly......lol

samngcheesan

500 RPM

samngcheesan

500 RPM
Jun 13, 2005
pj ss2
i got a direct plug n play wilwood 4pot, call me if u interested , will clear 16"

call 012-3200032

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
pajero v6 is slightly bigger then evo 3..consider it as oversize brake kit..but twin pot...using at your lancer should be better..lancer lighter than pajero..

cheers
better groove then drill..

You can groove them but do not drill! Coz drilling actually does not do anything to improve your braking but actually makes your rotors more prone to cracking.

Other things that will further improve your braking are:
- change your brake hose to stainless steel braided ones. This will firm up your pedal feel a bit more as it reduces the flexing/bulging of the brake hose when under pressure.
- use DOT 5.1 brake fluid (do not mistaken with DOT 5 ya, that's not compatible!). Can use Bendix 5.1, much cheaper than Motul 5.1. This will reduce the risk of fading on hard driving as the fluid can withstand higher operating temp.
this..dont just upgrade the caliper and rotor only...but most important is good tyre set, no matter how good your brake are..thats the only part of your car contact with the road..:driver::burnout:

unless turn turtle, diff story:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, recently bought a new car, would like to ask few general question and get experience from you guys .

Questions​

1. I'd like to modify the exhaust system so I don't suffocate my engine at all. Read that most stock car suffocate the engine a little even if it's stock to avoid sound pollution to pass all countries law. What part should I change? Tail pipe etc. And how much roughly for a good one and any good place to recommend?

2. Sunroof installation...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience