BMW confirm Sauber takeover

Mugenz

Known Member
Dec 19, 2003
no more sauber petronas ker?

-----------------------------------------
Taken from www.formula1.com
BMW will enter their own Formula One team in the 2006 world championship after buying a majority share in Sauber, it was announced on Wednesday. The German carmaker also wants to continue supplying engines to current partner Williams.

In a press conference at their Munich headquarters, BMW’s Motorsport Director, Dr Mario Thiessen, sat alongside team principal Peter Sauber, revealed details of the new agreement, which will come into effect at the start of January, 2006.

BMW is acquiring shares from Peter Sauber and will successively take over those held by long-time Sauber backers, Credit Suisse, by the end of 2008. Peter Sauber will retain a stake in the team and will assist BMW as an adviser, but withdraw from his operational responsibilities.

The new, and as yet unnamed, team will be run under a single BMW management structure, but from two bases - BMW’s Munich plant in Germany and Sauber’s existing base in Hinwil, Switzerland, The latter will operate as an independent Swiss company affiliated to BMW, and plans for expansion, in terms of both facilities and staff, are already in place.

"For Sauber, the partnership with BMW is an ideal solution as it supports the two goals which have always been paramount for me,” said Sauber, whose team first entered Formula One racing in 1993. “Firstly, to offer the team the possibility of improving their sporting performance, and secondly, to safeguard the site at Hinwil and the jobs of today’s 300-strong workforce.

”The involvement of six car manufacturers has resulted in significant changes to Formula One in recent years. For the private teams in particular, it has become increasingly difficult to secure solid financing which enables the achievement of sporting success as well. For some years, I have also been thinking in terms of succession planning - in the light of the very specific demands of Formula One that is no easy matter.

”The partnership with BMW guarantees continuity. For that reason, too, it represents an ideal solution, because I know it will give the workforce a very good outlook. Over more than 35 years, I have guided this company through often stormy seas, which is why it is so important for me to know that it will be in goods hands in future as well."

BMW admitted that their initial talks with Sauber had only concerned engine supply, but that negotiations quickly progressed to a more serious level. The German company stressed that their decision to buy into Sauber reflected their long-term commitment to Formula One racing.

"For BMW, Formula One is thus the right platform for demonstrating our competence as a car manufacturer,” said Professor Burkhard Goschel, BMW Board Member for Development and Purchasing. “Success in Formula One increasingly depends on the perfect interplay of all factors. That is why we have resolved to extend our involvement beyond our present role of engine partner.

“With a team managed by BMW we will, as of next year, take on responsibility for the entire package, which will include the key factors of the chassis, tyres and drivers. We do not expect instant success from the new constellation, but we are convinced that we have chosen the right path for the long term."

BMW also confirmed that Williams had been made fully aware of their plans ahead of Wednesday’s announcement. “Naturally this decision impacts on our partnership,” added Goschel. “We want to discuss the future options together with WilliamsF1 in order to find the right way forward for both sides.”

The new BMW team will be presented to the public at the beginning of 2006. In the meantime, the Germany company will be busy working out its new managerial, technical and driver line-up.
------------------------------------

exxelyx

Known Member
May 19, 2005
EARTH
so...bmw juz taken sauber..so how about petronas.....do they still participating in F1??????or no more petronas in F1???

Mugenz

Known Member
Dec 19, 2003
hehe.. who know may be BMW-Petronas..keke..
i think BMW want to make it's own team like Ferrari, Toyota..hehe..
so petronas balik kampung.. hehe

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
the new name shall be BMW Sauber Petronas or BMW Petronas Sauber ,
depends on who pump in more money.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
i think they'll still need sponsorhip fundings...but the color of Petronas Blue & Green does not match BMW Blue and White...how the heck they gonna manage this???

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
Now nobody knows whether PETRONAS will still be participating or not. Canot konpom. However, we could see PETRONAS' name on a DIFFERENT team.
PETRONAS would however like to maintain participation in this sport due to the high rate of technology transfer it offers.. at the same time carrying M'sia's flag on the global arena.
Another point is, I think BMW cars have Castrol as their OEM engine lube supplier (right??), so such strategic partnerships under an F1 team may compromise contracts such as these. Surely a conflict of interest would arise from having another oil co. as a motorsports partner in contrast to your OEM supplier.

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
lekalo said:
Now nobody knows whether PETRONAS will still be participating or not. Canot konpom. However, we could see PETRONAS' name on a DIFFERENT team.
PETRONAS would however like to maintain participation in this sport due to the high rate of technology transfer it offers.. at the same time carrying M'sia's flag on the global arena.

Another point is, I think BMW cars have Castrol as their OEM engine lube supplier (right??), so such strategic partnerships under an F1 team may compromise contracts such as these. Surely a conflict of interest would arise from having another oil co. as a motorsports partner in contrast to your OEM supplier.
Yeah BMW has long terms OE comitements with Castrol, just liek D-C and Mobil.

Lekalo, just a question, you mention tech transfer. When are Petronas really gonna put all to good use?

Making 150 Ltd bikes for a few rich individuals ain't enough man.

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
butthead said:
i think they'll still need sponsorhip fundings...but the color of Petronas Blue & Green does not match BMW Blue and White...how the heck they gonna manage this???
Colour matching was never a problem for Compaq (red) coz they simply change to Blue with a fine red outline.

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
faisal said:
Lekalo, just a question, you mention tech transfer. When are Petronas really gonna put all to good use?

Making 150 Ltd bikes for a few rich individuals ain't enough man.
its goes into the development of the lubricants (engine oil, petrol), motorsports development and even the EO1 engine, where the rights for it to be mass produced has been given to a foreign car maker... but thats a seperate issue....

not to forget all the engineering related tech transfer to petronas subsidiaries. Petronas has hundreds and hundreds of companies under it remember, mostly related to engineering. the tech transfer is not necessarily directly related to the automotive industry, other areas can also gain such as chemical engineering for example..... from here endless possibilities of what can be derived....

think the bigger picture here.....

Last edited:

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
minivan said:
its goes into the development of the lubricants (engine oil, petrol), motorsports development and even the EO1 engine, where the rights for it to be mass produced has been given to a foreign car maker... but thats a seperate issue....

not to forget all the engineering related tech transfer to petronas subsidiaries. Petronas has hundreds and hundreds of companies under it remember, mostly related to engineering. the tech transfer is not necessarily directly related to the automotive industry, other areas can also gain such as chemical engineering for example..... from here endless possibilities of what can be derived....

think the bigger picture here.....
Ah, So desu. Apologies for not seeing the Big Picture.

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
lekalo said:
That's not really true (the bit about OEM supplier). Auto Bavaria uses Shell oil here, and I think that's because there is no restrictions on lube brand on BMW dealers, even though Castrol is the preferred partner. Also, aside from Castrol, many other brands (such as Q8, Total, Mobil, etc) are also approved by BMW to be used. I think they are given the title "BMW Special Oil".