Best Automotive College in Malaysia?

Nov 13, 2013
Sabah
Hey guys,

There are a few friends of mine who are interested to learn automotive engineering/technology. They said they're interested to work in a tuner shop or motorsports team someday. Any local college/university that you guys can recommend? :smokin:

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Then it's x d college that's x good it's d graduates...d college only prepares u for what's waiting outside but end of d day it's d graduates choice whether can adopt or x...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hey guys,

There are a few friends of mine who are interested to learn automotive engineering/technology. They said they're interested to work in a tuner shop or motorsports team someday. Any local college/university that you guys can recommend? :smokin:
There are no degree courses in Malaysia for automotive, only diploma courses.

There is icam which is under DRB-Hicom, Despark Auto Academy and TOC that I know off.
At TOC, the courses are taught in English. One is Automotive Technology and the other is Motor Sports Technology.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Then it's x d college that's x good it's d graduates...d college only prepares u for what's waiting outside but end of d day it's d graduates choice whether can adopt or x...
I agree fully. What you learn is theory and what you do outside are practical. The engine you work on in college is new and clean, the ones outside is stained and dirty. The engine you practice on is totally different from the ones sold.
I know of mechanic working in one car make and do not know how to do a car of another make, so is the person not the school. You learn the basic and theory then you have to make it on your own outside....:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Heard about TOC before but some people say that the college not good because of the graduants are usually clueless and blur when doing things in the real world? :confused:
Usually we don't blame the teachers if the students don't get straight A's what.

There are no degree courses in Malaysia for automotive, only diploma courses.

There is icam which is under DRB-Hicom, Despark Auto Academy and TOC that I know off.
At TOC, the courses are taught in English. One is Automotive Technology and the other is Motor Sports Technology.

I agree fully. What you learn is theory and what you do outside are practical. The engine you work on in college is new and clean, the ones outside is stained and dirty. The engine you practice on is totally different from the ones sold.
I know of mechanic working in one car make and do not know how to do a car of another make, so is the person not the school. You learn the basic and theory then you have to make it on your own outside....:driver:
Agree, some they may score Full A's but not necessary they can do well in the outside world.
Some are just good in memorising or studying. Comes to practical. Is different story.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
My friend got full scholarship for TOC but dropped out instead and transfer half of it to another college.
Reason being, lecturers don't know how to teach.
But then, if your passion is high, there should be no problem. But VR said to me before it's 65k now, 2 years ago 35k.

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
My friend got full scholarship for TOC but dropped out instead and transfer half of it to another college.
But then, if your passion is high, there should be no problem. But VR said to me before it's 65k now, 2 years ago 35k.
Harga petrol,sugar etc increase so fees oso go up la bro.....

dking91

Known Member
Mar 26, 2013
pekan
ICAM fees 60k++..if want sponsor by hicom, then got contract for 7years and salary start at 1.1k :)
better choose SKILLS CERTIFICATE...like IKM at PEKAN... or just start from zero by working at workshop :)

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
For me, that time no TOC or Despark...I graduated from Tafe College....3 years course...full course only 9K that time....pay monthly one got uniform somemore...so no glamour stuff....the lecturer was from India (well verse and knowledgeable) facility that time well the basic things you have....we have engine rooms, and a mix of Proton and Toyota and Honda engines....Got Carb and injection. My course not just all time on cars...we also have welding classes we learn how to weld steel and also machining class...all practical....theory class also have like advance maths, thermodynamics, Automotive electrical and electronics and technical drawings....etc...I enjoy the practical class a lot even the theory ones....

I see it as a whole package because I not just learn about engines, transmission, how to rebuild them, but I also learn how to do welding and machining job....I can weld roll cage and custom chassis...machine parts out of a block of Alu, or steel..etc...well my college is not the most pretty one or the ones with sport cars or very high tech stuff but it's all hands on basic and some advance stuff.....best part is after I finish I have actual field experience in KIA, Toyota...I also got offer letter from Ford HQ and some other car companies....

From my experience, finding a good college is important, then is the students themselves....whether you study the course because of passion for cars or just to follow the trend.....I have some friends who enter the course at the same years as me but only graduate after another 2 years after me.....I enjoy my course back then, don;t mind getting my practical attire dirty or sweat...and sometimes to learn more you have to do extra than what the lecturer tells you....like my 3rd year project, lecturer gave my team a old 4G15 EFI engine. He just told us to rebuilt the engine from bottom to up.....as I was the team leader I opted to do more....we not just rebuild the engine we do a full balancing for the engine on the lathe machine full PnP on the cylinder head, increase the CR, PnP the TB...in the end our engine sounds the the best and loudest in the project with a custom side exit exhaust from the block built by my course mate....the engine was not in a car so the exhaust can be done in anyway he likes....Hahaha We did more than our lecturer ask us to do but we enjoyed and in the process learn stuff that was not thought because knowledge is asset.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It was almost RM50k, not 35k, now more expensive...

TOC Lecturers mostly from Philippines. So they don't know how to teach, or your friend cannot pick up...:confused:
Not easy to get through also. I heard many repeat, just like what bro. TR mentioned, instead 2 years becomes 3 to 4 years...

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
VR2, actually if really pay attention to class...no need to re-sit exams or refer the same subject...most of the time re-sit or refer the same subject is because students problem.....if the 20 ppl in the class can pass why not the other 2 to 3 person right? if find the subject difficult then ask more and more discussion in or out of class.....my time when recess or have few hours time before next class....some of my friends go out lepak or drink while I sit in the library for the few hours trying to understand the subject, calculation and refer to other books....Engineering is not easy by nature so one need to put more effort into it...I'm a good example where my maths and add maths fail big big time during secondary school and everyone knows it even my teacher when I told them I go into engineering they were quite shock since my maths so damn lousy how to go....but I go on...1st year I took advance maths in my subject because it is required if yu need to go into engineering course....it was difficult for me but I grip on...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
VR2, actually if really pay attention to class...no need to re-sit exams or refer the same subject...most of the time re-sit or refer the same subject is because students problem.....if the 20 ppl in the class can pass why not the other 2 to 3 person right? if find the subject difficult then ask more and more discussion in or out of class.....my time when recess or have few hours time before next class....some of my friends go out lepak or drink while I sit in the library for the few hours trying to understand the subject, calculation and refer to other books....Engineering is not easy by nature so one need to put more effort into it...I'm a good example where my maths and add maths fail big big time during secondary school and everyone knows it even my teacher when I told them I go into engineering they were quite shock since my maths so damn lousy how to go....but I go on...1st year I took advance maths in my subject because it is required if yu need to go into engineering course....it was difficult for me but I grip on...
Exactly brother. If don't understand should ask, do more research and so on not lepak...:driver: