2k PAINT?

Lancerboy1

Known Member
Jun 11, 2006
i just send my car to change color in a spra workshop.

was quoted RM@$2000

how do i know if it is really 2k paint or some cheapo paint?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Shouldn't this question be directed to your painter?

from my opinion, its hard to tell, esp the paint job is done very well. Anyway, I would not emphasis on the 2k paint, instead I would emphasize on the preparation of the paint surface before the spray work is done. Preparation work sometimes include ridding of oxidise paint layer, removal of paint altogether, cleaning surface, applying paint filler, anti rusting, masking work, workmanship, painting facilities... etc......Why? becoz all these would attributed to the paint quality and so that the new 2k (or other expensive paint that u pay with hard earn money) will stick to the surface and not peeling off in months......

Anyway, to make sure the paint is 2k, I suggest you check all the paint containers/chemical used for the preparation of the paint. Insist this from the painter. The labels/instruction on the container should indicate whether it is a 2k paint or not. Similarly, when sending for car repair, u notice why mechanic never throw the box/container of the new parts installed to your car? just one way to proof the items installed are new.....

Lancerboy1

Known Member
Jun 11, 2006
the painter quoted me RM$1400 to change whole car color, excluding engine bay and spare tire area.

then i told him i want good paint, then he quoted me RM$2000.

today just deliver car to him. he told me he will use 2k paint. and will complete work by sat morning. because i in the rush to take back my car. do u think by sat its possible for them to do a good job and yet complete spraying.

problem is i dont know if it was really a good paint work done in the end or not. this painter was introduced to me by my garage. so i guess what i can do is only cross my finger and hope for the best.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Lancerboy.......business is business. you ask 10 painter abt their job, 10 painter will tell u that they will do a very good job. Funny but true.

There are many ways to see if the paint job done is good or bad. Just look at the corners of panels, see the eveness thickness of the paint work, overspray (like paint near window rubber, tyre, light, wires, bumper, chrome parts, exhaust pipe....other area that should not be painted) There are a lot more I can tell u. There prep work before paint work is 80% to produce a good paint work on the car.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend u to use the car for at least a week after being spray painted as the paint isn't 100% cured (yes, some claimed that oven baking can overcome this problem, but I wanna play safe here than sorry). I know this could be a problem as many ppl depends on their car to cari makan.

BTW, what color change to what color of your car?

Anyway, where are you from? If needed advice, just call me. Give me a ring (phone number will be given thru pm, if reqired). Happy painting the car!

Lancerboy1

Known Member
Jun 11, 2006
bro, i changing from yellow to white. easy job for them? when i sid want to change black, the painter seems like not able to complete the car job on time.. weird...

anyway. pm me ur number. My car in Jb now

edwin_lcw

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2005
Setapak
if for me i won`t push them as painting is a job that needs time n skill .... whne u rush them u'll eventually find them doing not so up to the standard ..... 2000 ? for 2K ? wow ..... is he a very high skilled painter ? .... if yes its worth it .... if no then u better find someplace cheap ....

Sep 2, 2006
guys I have a question about changing the paint color..do we need to inform JPJ anything about our car's new color?

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
yes.. if the color if different than stated on the pink slip.. otherwise hassle for insurance claim n other report work

KCi

Jan 2, 2004
Hey Ken Yeang,

Good info. I'm having problem after 1 year with respray panels (bonnet, fender and spoiler). The paint oxidised after 1 year. The paint is so bad like old car. The painter must be using very low quality paint or lousy workmanship. I'm not sure on this. All my $$$ went to drain.

Anyway, can you recommend a good painter shop to us since you are knowledgeable on paints?

Thanks in advance.

Lancer4g93

Known Member
Jan 12, 2006
I Have Similar Case When Spraying Paint For My Baby..... Less Than 1 Yr, That Paint Started To Oxidised And Detach Piece By Piece, But Wut Strange To Me Is Why Cf Bumper Still Gud But The Plastic Things Cant Stand Longer? Do Have Idea Why...or This Thing Happen Because Of Bad Work By The Painter On Small Detail...

DR78

500 RPM
Aug 26, 2005
subang
edwin_lcw said:
if for me i won`t push them as painting is a job that needs time n skill .... whne u rush them u'll eventually find them doing not so up to the standard ..... 2000 ? for 2K ? wow ..... is he a very high skilled painter ? .... if yes its worth it .... if no then u better find someplace cheap ....

hi brother edwin..

jus need some advice?? do u know of any decent n reasonable place to paint my car?
thanks bro

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Guys,

Would like to share a practice work with the community on why you should never rush a paint job.

Below is a spoiler that has heavy oxidation on the clearcoat which should not have happen as the car is only 5 years old and well taken care of by the owner. Note that only the spoiler display such symptoms...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience