1.6 CamPro Persona hard to start

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Ok. Just found out my old thread. New Century Marathoner DIN55R battery.
Crank still long but not as bad. But still bad. :rofl:
I tot u are going to end your sentence with "but still ok"..heheh
I dont have any cranking problem with my 08 BLM.
Maybe "The force is with me".
Last time do heard Campro with hard starting problem which are solved by retuning the ECU.

Dunno if adding VS and grounding will help a bit.
Why dont u give it a try and if it does not work u sell it to me at 1/2 price?:biggrin:

driftkingII

2,000 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Bandar Utama
Visit site
Persona Elegance 1.6, not even fully 2 years yet, still under warranty although service outside.
Spark plug just changed, don't seem to be the problem. Battery normal voltage.

The thing is, my car is hard to start. Crank fastest also 2 second only it will start.
A few times, I cranked more than 2 sec it started at 500rpm, 'choked' then died.

Everytime before I crank, I will let the pump 'charge' itself. There is this sound that it makes.
"Yiiiiiiii" at the back seats.
Just now I cranked then I felt that it is hard to start, then I switch to acc again,
then I started the pump again, can hear watery sound, in this case I guess it's fuel, going through.

So any other CamProlers facing the same issue? SupraFanatics confirmed with me 1.3 BLM is hard to crank too, he said his mechanic said it's normal.

But isn't it crazy how hard it is to start a car? I started my GF's Myvi & Father's Innova,
started without hesitation.
The way it cranks for so long makes me feel that the engine is hurting itself.
Too bad not many friend using CamPros. All Myvis. -_- So I can't try.
This is worrying.
something like mine, but what they say in LYN true eh?
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=2961179&st=980&p=63388829&#entry63388829

have u all tried it?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
All you gotta do is, slam your forehead on the steering wheel, twist the key to START again. This time, hold on to START. It should sound like "Wuekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekeke..." Finally, "babababab beebababadopop bee bab bab ba da pop" and it start.
Scatman john!

Honestly I think this guy is trolling the newbie. The Protons probably don't have high powered starters and the issue is probably further compounded by a weak battery. Upgrade to a higher powered starter or a fast starter (ignition coil) and keep your battery healthy and I think you'll be fine. My old Wira was running a Perdana starter I think. Or was it a Evo one? Can't remember. Started very easily everytime until the battery died. But if you do opt for a different starter, if you can afford it don't buy half cut. Buy new. If you can't afford new, buy a properly recon one. But that's like the lucky draw, either you get it or you don't.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I read your whole topic again. Actually hard to start or hard to crank? Because you talk about weak battery and starter. Weak battery and starter the crank will be slow, but if crank is fast nothing to do with either.
To start a car, air/fuel going in and current going to spark plug.
Car start and die in the morning, usually auto choke problem, especially like it was mentioned engine low rpm and some choking before dying off. My Tiggo and Hyundai rpm is slightly above 1k, and drops below 1k, after they have warmed up. My VR a bit cranky, since FICD not working that well, sometimes cold rpm can be at 2k, then drop gradually....
However all 3 cars starting is good, mostly one crank is all it takes...

Last edited:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I read your whole topic again. Actually hard to start or hard to crank? Because you talk about weak battery and starter. Weak battery and starter the crank will be slow, but if crank is fast nothing to do with either.
To start a car, air/fuel going in and current going to spark plug.
Car start and die in the morning, usually auto choke problem, especially like it was mentioned engine low rpm and some choking before dying off. My Tiggo and Hyundai rpm is slightly above 1k, and drops below 1k, after they have warmed up. My VR a bit cranky, since FICD not working that well, sometimes cold rpm can be at 2k, then drop gradually....
However all 3 cars starting is good, mostly one crank is all it takes...
Sometimes one crank gao dim wo. Like this morning.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
i have a blm and my sis has a neo cps.
the cps engine crank and start easily.
the campro was previously hard to start,it needed a longer crank than the cps.
after sending to sc long time a go and they did something with the ecu.its still longer than the cps but not by much.

my 1.8 waja is hard to start when the engine is hot.it needs a longer crank than it needed when cold.maybe the ecu needs tuning as i havent done that for a while plus the battery was disconnected for one whole week when my mech replace some seals in the gb.his computer is unable to tune the ecu.just reset to stock setting.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
after sending to sc long time a go and they did something with the ecu.its still longer than the cps but not by much.

my 1.8 waja is hard to start when the engine is hot.it needs a longer crank than it needed when cold.maybe the ecu needs tuning as i havent done that for a while plus the battery was disconnected for one whole week when my mech replace some seals in the gb.his computer is unable to tune the ecu.just reset to stock setting.
Isn't it easier to start when engine is hot? :confused:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
thats why...
cold start like in the morning:kret...vroom
hot start : kret,kret,kret,kret,kret,kret...vroom

puzzling...
if its only left for few minute then its fine.if let say i am having lunch and then want to start back...long crank.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Some ECU cannot be tuned, reset then yes......

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Not really, it depends on your engine. Start when cold can be easy too, as got cold start choke. If your engine runs lean, it is harder to start when hot, the air/fuel mixture vaporizes, so harder to start.....

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Some ECU cannot be tuned, reset then yes......

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Not really, it depends on your engine. Start when cold can be easy too, as got cold start choke. If your engine runs lean, it is harder to start when hot, the air/fuel mixture vaporizes, so harder to start.....
the 1.8 can be tune.
when it was still new my dad gatal2 listen to the sc guy said can tune for power and he allow them to do so.
engine was like brup,brup,brup.like running high cam.
of course powerful but as they say...with great power comes crazy fc.
only uses is less than a week before going for stock setup.
i doubt the parameter can be pushed much be enough to have significant effect.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
the 1.8 can be tune.
when it was still new my dad gatal2 listen to the sc guy said can tune for power and he allow them to do so.
engine was like brup,brup,brup.like running high cam.
of course powerful but as they say...with great power comes crazy fc.
only uses is less than a week before going for stock setup.
i doubt the parameter can be pushed much be enough to have significant effect.
I only know the previous Satria GTi ECU can be tuned, as my ex colleague have one and he got the SC to do it, but just some minor upgrade only. However if the battery dies or change battery without power link, it gets erased like what we do when we reset the ECU.....:smokin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I only know the previous Satria GTi ECU can be tuned, as my ex colleague have one and he got the SC to do it, but just some minor upgrade only. However if the battery dies or change battery without power link, it gets erased like what we do when we reset the ECU.....:smokin:
could be the same case.
my ecu is siemens.forget the spesific model.

could it be that the stock setup is lean?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

For a company that only had a single core model in its lineup, one that’s based on a design from more than half a century ago, Caterham has done itself well to stay in the black and keep making light, fuss-free and fun to drive machines.

However, they have recently expanded their lineup with the more track-focused SP/300.R that has the likes...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience