1.5 Siemen VDO to 1.8 Siemen VDO Problem

cheng_Y

Aug 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi All,

I need an advice from those who experience before.

Situation as below.
1.Wira SE 1.5 Siemen VDO Throttle body damage.
2.I replace it with 1.8Siemen VDO Throttlebody (Purchase new from Proton Part Center @ RM556.36)
3.When I install it, the car idling not stable and sometime engine die/off itself.
4.What could be wrong? How to solve this problem?
5.I saw a lot article said the 1.8TB can Plug & play on 1.5 Siemen VDO engine, but now......(Never ending story):bawling:
6. Got ppl said, left the 1.8 throttle to calibrate itself for few minutes. And it will run in good condition.

Tai Kooo / Sifu:adore:..... Please help. I dont want waste the RM556.36......

Many thanks

Last edited:

S16

Known Member
Nov 17, 2010
Melaka
1st of all, what are the things that have u changed? Is it the ECU or throttle body?

nyantong

Known Member
Jul 26, 2008
Is the throttle body electronically actuated or via cable? While physically the 1.8 throttle body can be fitted onto the 1.5 engine, the electronics may not necessarily be able to adapt to the different throttle body. You may need to have a diagnostic machine to reset and calibrate the throttle body sensor. Hope this helps.

klywh1

Mar 11, 2009
to operate a 1.8 VDO TB u need a 1.8 VDO GTI ECU & dun expect a 1.5 VDO ecu can handle 1.8 VDO GTI TB even u can look for a half cut condition GTI1.8 ECU CEL will on due to no knock sensor detected so keep your new GTI TB & buy a new VDO 1.5 TB anywhere I am a 1.5 vdo user too cheers

Last edited:

klywh1

Mar 11, 2009
it's okay 1.5 VDO are self adapt to simple mod like PnP head, mild cam,IHE(air intake, header/extractor & exhaust system) even a stroker kit but not for extreme mod lah Izso & me both are vdo user may u join us at Log In for more info , happy joining 4g1series

cheng_Y

Aug 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
To get the answer correctly, I think need to open up the GTI Siemen VDO for some investication.

But, before do this. I heard ppl said TB need to be calibrate or reset before use. I think only this problem cause my car idling problem. Isn't????

Total of 7 pin out from the VDO TB - should have some article posted online.:confused:

Can any sifu share thier experience? many thanks.

klywh1

Mar 11, 2009
cheng,

pls join in 4g1series as member, then look for topic vdo throttle body modification, me lazy to type again, look for ahchapp GTI vdo TB with GTI ecu mod in wira 1.3 vdo only :p

cheng_Y

Aug 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Izso- Already read the article from 4g1X.

Left is the 1.8 TB

Rupa rupa wira also using VW system. Try check your's. I'm proud with VDO VW in my Wira SE.:smokin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Izso- Already read the article from 4g1X.

Left is the 1.8 TB

Rupa rupa wira also using VW system. Try check your's. I'm proud with VDO VW in my Wira SE.:smokin:
What VW system you talking about?

The VDO ECU is very adaptive and can handle most mods you do to your car. Like in my case stroke, enlarged bore, injectors, cam, etc. Stock ECU. But there's a certain limit it can handle I think and I've reached a stage where I want more out of the car. That's when problems come in. Most Piggybacks don't work except for reportedly Unichip and some say Works EMS-1. Otherwise we'll have to opt for standalones.

Speeder

Known Member
Mar 15, 2009
Hello Cheng,

You need to change VDO ECU (code: 0658) and add knock sensor to adapt the 1.8 VDO TB. The problem still happen and It will not self adjustment If you still remain to use 1.5 Siemen VDO ECU.

Otherwise, you need to buy a new/2nd hand 1.5 VDO TB.