Myvi 1.5 se with original suspension stiff ride

ericartman

Dec 31, 2005
Anyone can give me suggestion on what need to be changed for stiff ride of Myvi SE 1.5? Its quite stiff for me, not quite comfortable.

I was thinking changing front and back spring:

SUSTEC Comfort Sport Spring PERODUA MYVI - Car Accessories & Parts for sale Selangor - Mudah.my

or

ORI S RACING Comfort Sport Spring Made in Japan - Car Accessories & Parts for sale Selangor - Mudah.my

But im not sure on the comparison with the default spring stiffness. I can only assume that its more comfortable as it says comfort.

Then I was thinking on getting fully adjustable, like this one, cause im afraid that spring change only does not give the same height on front and back:

GAB ADJUSTABLE SS Series for myvi - Car Accessories & Parts for sale Selangor - Mudah.my

But planned budget is less than 1k rm, prefer not to take fully adjustable.

If there's anyone with experience with this, please let me know, thanks.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
If stock is stiff, everything else will be worst. True story.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Try getting a lower k value spring. Myvi 1.5 original suspension is really stiff, uncomfortable, and rubbish in handling. I believe yours is a new car, isn't it? Initially the suspension is very stiff but after awhile like 6-8 months, the ride becomes more comfortable. I don't know about the aftermarket comfort sport springs you mentioned, but as the name sport spring implies, it's gonna be a lowered one and might and might not be bumpy. Suggest you go through the reviews first.

Suggest you not to take gab SS. It's gonna be a hell lot stiffer than stock even on the softest setting. I personally using KYB RS Pro and I am very happy with it. The stiffness is comparable to stock or a little bit more. But with active valve system and lowered height, the handling is much more better and safer.

ericartman

Dec 31, 2005
Try getting a lower k value spring. Myvi 1.5 original suspension is really stiff, uncomfortable, and rubbish in handling. I believe yours is a new car, isn't it? Initially the suspension is very stiff but after awhile like 6-8 months, the ride becomes more comfortable. I don't know about the aftermarket comfort sport springs you mentioned, but as the name sport spring implies, it's gonna be a lowered one and might and might not be bumpy. Suggest you go through the reviews first.

Suggest you not to take gab SS. It's gonna be a hell lot stiffer than stock even on the softest setting. I personally using KYB RS Pro and I am very happy with it. The stiffness is comparable to stock or a little bit more. But with active valve system and lowered height, the handling is much more better and safer.
How do I determine K value on a spring by looking? By say looking at the gap between the loop?

I bought it close to 1 year ago. Still have the same stiffness.

Your KYB RS Pro, is it completely adjustable? Yours both spring and absorber right?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
How do I determine K value on a spring by looking? By say looking at the gap between the loop?

I bought it close to 1 year ago. Still have the same stiffness.

Your KYB RS Pro, is it completely adjustable? Yours both spring and absorber right?
You can't by just looking at it. Some manufacturers printed the k value on the coil but some don't. Just gotta dig deeper if its on stated on the product. KYB RS Pro isn't fully adjustable. It's only HI/LO but unlike other hi/lo adjustable, it is soft. If comfort is your priority, I don't recommend adjustable shocks. Perhaps you can look into other absorber brands and other OEM springs with lower k value.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Dear Eric,

I think you may not have to change the suspension at all...

You can opt for a set higher profile tyre for example if your current tyres are 55 series, you can change to 60 series

Another alternative is to change to softer tyres, example Michelin XM-2

Another is to lower your tyres air pressure, for example if its at 33psi you can down it to 31 psi.

Hope its a cheaper alternative than to change the whole suspension system which I think its wasteful as your ori suspensions
are still quite new...

ronaldindin

Known Member
Jan 14, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
www.12bet.com
what if add in a spring coil buffer. Heard that this product may make the ride more comfortable. anyone using?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
coil buffers are supposed to help sagging springs la, not to soften them.

ericartman : How much do you travel? Perhaps your absorbers is worn out. Trust me on this - nothing is more comfortable than stock. Changing to any of those springs you highlighted will make your ride even more stiffer. Stock is the softest you can get. It's most likely your spring and/or absorber is worn out so check for oil leaks on your absorbers. Kayaba is the OEM manufacturer so buy back the same Kayabas. You can probably try to opt for Monroe Reflex absorbers paired with stock springs too.

YYC : 1.3 will fit in the 1.5 car meh? Wouldn't the front dive since the engine is bigger/heavier?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
coil buffers are supposed to help sagging springs la, not to soften them.

ericartman : How much do you travel? Perhaps your absorbers is worn out. Trust me on this - nothing is more comfortable than stock. Changing to any of those springs you highlighted will make your ride even more stiffer. Stock is the softest you can get. It's most likely your spring and/or absorber is worn out so check for oil leaks on your absorbers. Kayaba is the OEM manufacturer so buy back the same Kayabas. You can probably try to opt for Monroe Reflex absorbers paired with stock springs too.

YYC : 1.3 will fit in the 1.5 car meh? Wouldn't the front dive since the engine is bigger/heavier?
I don't think his absorbers are worn out..coz originally myvi 1.5 suspension is really stiff and uncomfortable. I remember the first day I got my car, I felt that the suspension is stiffer than 1.3. So I thought to myself maybe the handling is better since it is revised. Cruised a 40-50 degree corner at around 50-60kmh...crap...feel like I'm gonna lose my new car by rolling it into the drain.

I'm not sure which part of 1.5 suspension is different from 1.3. The spring or the absorber. Probably the absorber as the bouncing rate is low, therefore it feels stiff.

1.3 can fit into 1.5...almost identical.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
put 1.3 suspension la then

ericartman

Dec 31, 2005
I don't think his absorbers are worn out..coz originally myvi 1.5 suspension is really stiff and uncomfortable. I remember the first day I got my car, I felt that the suspension is stiffer than 1.3. So I thought to myself maybe the handling is better since it is revised. Cruised a 40-50 degree corner at around 50-60kmh...crap...feel like I'm gonna lose my new car by rolling it into the drain.

I'm not sure which part of 1.5 suspension is different from 1.3. The spring or the absorber. Probably the absorber as the bouncing rate is low, therefore it feels stiff.

1.3 can fit into 1.5...almost identical.
You dont plan to change yours? Cause I started to feel uncomfortable, I dont drive fast that often.

There was a time that i drove to penang from KL through NKVE which shows the stiff ride advantage, the car felt tremendously stable at straight line. But dont do it quite often, prefer comfort normal daily ride.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

tinking of an doin n engine swap in jaybee pondering between visworks n speedworks any bros here any reccomendations cos price wise i feel jaybee more competitive but i dunno wat to do when inspection time comes cos they cannot help mi "pass" unlike some sg workshops where alot of ppl says can be done under table lol! some civics recc mi HV but heard pricing wise not much diff from visworks n they dun really do my type of car so pls advise...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience