FD2R vs Golf TI - Reliable vs Cost

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I would consider FD2-R wins hands down. Reliability comes with less cost of maintenance. The following 2 things are always of the most concerned of all, strictly make comparison by reliability and cost.

Engine: K20A wins
Simply because GTI has one more animal under the hood to take care of: the snail

Gearbox: traditional manual transmission wins, ie FD2-R
Though not the fastest, but it is the most tested, easiest and cheapest to maintain.

Spare parts: Jap wins.
I think this is very obvious to many. Besides not all mechanics know to handle German cars. But those can repair Jap cars are surely many time more. And Japanese spare parts are easy to source.

Besides, maybe the price parity between RON95 and RON97 makes FD2-R less attractive but I would still say Civic FD2-R is at the top of the chart.
The other downside of the FD2R is the comfort as the ride is very stiff.

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
With all the talks of DSG mecha failure.. just wondering.. how much to repair/replace if no more warranty?

Malaysia got no mechatronic sifu to fix? like replacing the solenoid instead of the whole unit?

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
I would consider FD2-R wins hands down. Reliability comes with less cost of maintenance. The following 2 things are always of the most concerned of all, strictly make comparison by reliability and cost.

Engine: K20A wins
Simply because GTI has one more animal under the hood to take care of: the snail

Gearbox: traditional manual transmission wins, ie FD2-R
Though not the fastest, but it is the most tested, easiest and cheapest to maintain.

Spare parts: Jap wins.
I think this is very obvious to many. Besides not all mechanics know to handle German cars. But those can repair Jap cars are surely many time more. And Japanese spare parts are easy to source.

Besides, maybe the price parity between RON95 and RON97 makes FD2-R less attractive but I would still say Civic FD2-R is at the top of the chart.

haha bro, it should fall under insect category.

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
they are invertabrae's...no bones and shell as exoskeleton. slug category...its a snail if it leaks juice/oil....LOL

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
they are invertabrae's...no bones and shell as exoskeleton. slug category...its a snail if it leaks juice/oil....LOL
If the snail under the hood leak juice..very expensive to fix...

dkny

Known Member
Jul 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
agreed, I try to ask around with those mechanic plp, they said they never service overhaul GTI b4, or can say no knowledge to fix that snail ...
I still think FD2R more reliable(less problem/headache, more durable) and less cost (less cost of repair/maintenance)
only down side is to bumpy & FC a bit higher.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
agreed, I try to ask around with those mechanic plp, they said they never service overhaul GTI b4, or can say no knowledge to fix that snail ...
I still think FD2R more reliable(less problem/headache, more durable) and less cost (less cost of repair/maintenance)
only down side is to bumpy & FC a bit higher.
Degrade suspension then. :o
Wanna go tracking then swap back.