Which car should I choose?

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Hi Sifu - Sifu sekalian,

I need your guys input and opinion like what is the pros and cons of below cars.

My budget max is RM120,000 for my next purchase and I could fork out RM25,000 for down-payment. Why I've to think about purchase another car because recently my family car, a Corrolla Altis, around 3 years old got a minor accident and went for repair. Currently left a 11 years old myvi to ferry my family and I did not need to balik kampung due to MCO. The myvi cannot fit my family needs now as the boots space was too limited (previously when we balik kampung, the boots was filled up and including the front passenger seat for the Altis!). Normally I drove my myvi to work and only me alone. So now, my wife complaining the myvi like very insecure (maybe because she is too long never sit in a myvi), saying the car like shaking and floating here and there.

Before I listing the cars in my mind, I would like to share to you guys my needs and minimum requirements for my next purchase.

1. cabin and boots space have to be big enough. (I've a 10months old kid now and one of the rear passenger seat was occupied by the baby car seat. My wife and myself plan to have 2nd child within 2years time, thus the rear passenger end up will be occupied by 2 baby car seats.)

2. Safety and comfort level. Since I've a baby now, safety and comfort level is my main concern and objectives.

3. Decent maintenance cost.

The car in my mind and feel free to share your experience on buying a used car or a new car. Like why and why not?

1. A used Lexus ES250 (2014 to 2015 model).
2. A used Toyota Camry (2016 to 2017 model).
3. A new Honda City. (might be waiting for the new model).
4. A new Toyota Vios.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
based on your criteria, Camry suits you. You have already an Altis and you complaint not spacious.
i dont think City, and vios will help.

Reactions: Tom

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
based on your criteria, Camry suits you. You have already an Altis and you complaint not spacious.
Hi mate,

Thank you for your input. The thing pull me back for the camry (2016 - 2017 model) is a hybrid machine where the auxiliary battery need to change pretty frequent (like 2 - 3 years) and it costs around RM4xx.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
1. A used Lexus ES250 (2014 to 2015 model).
2. A used Toyota Camry (2016 to 2017 model).
3. A new Honda City. (might be waiting for the new model).
4. A new Toyota Vios.
Dude... you're listing down 4 very different cars man.

1. This is a massively big car. I like it but it's more of a passenger car more than a drivers car. So it kinda fits everything. Bring your family and go test it. But maintenance cost is not going to be cheap.

2. You already said you don't like the aux battery thing. The other big thing is prepare a small sum to install a good alarm system. Top most stolen car in M'sia for 2 years in a row.

3. Nice. But if you hate Altis size then City is small.

4. Same as City. And I personally hate the gaudy interior. The only thing worse than the interior of the new Vios is the interior of the new Altis.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Dude... you're listing down 4 very different cars man.

1. This is a massively big car. I like it but it's more of a passenger car more than a drivers car. So it kinda fits everything. Bring your family and go test it. But maintenance cost is not going to be cheap.

2. You already said you don't like the aux battery thing. The other big thing is prepare a small sum to install a good alarm system. Top most stolen car in M'sia for 2 years in a row.

3. Nice. But if you hate Altis size then City is small.

4. Same as City. And I personally hate the gaudy interior. The only thing worse than the interior of the new Vios is the interior of the new Altis.

Yo Izso,

I listed City and Vios because my wife want me to purchase a new car instead of a used one.

1. What would the maintenance cost will be? You mean the spare parts will be pricy?

2. Noted. I know the hybrid battery costs around RM6k but it could last at least 8 years.

3. I did not hate Altis size. Just I under estimated the stuff need to be carried around for a baby. City boots size is larger than Altis just the cabin Altis is wider.

4. Vios full spec is pretty cheap compare to City full spec.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yo Izso,

I listed City and Vios because my wife want me to purchase a new car instead of a used one.

1. What would the maintenance cost will be? You mean the spare parts will be pricy?

2. Noted. I know the hybrid battery costs around RM6k but it could last at least 8 years.

3. I did not hate Altis size. Just I under estimated the stuff need to be carried around for a baby. City boots size is larger than Altis just the cabin Altis is wider.

4. Vios full spec is pretty cheap compare to City full spec.
Ah ok. Here we go.

1. My cousin has the ES250 and she (yes... a lady) upgraded from the IS250 and regretted cuz it's so big behind. It's on par with the Camry if not slightly larger and it's more luxurious. It's a Lexus... so generally Lexus parts are more expensive. It's kinda similar to Camry plus minus a thousand or two. If you think Camry is cheap then this won't be too far off (in terms of maintenance).

2. The Camry Hybrid will have the best fuel economy amongst your 4 choices but most expensive roadtax and potentially insurance too.

3. City cubic ft is slightly larger but I'll bet it doesn't really fit comfortably inside. Wider is always better man. But the new Hondas are really good look with plenty of great tech and best thing of all : warranty.

4. Personally would avoid at all costs. It looks like a gulag inside the car oh and I actually got car sick while driving the car. Suspension is so wavy and now just thinking about it is giving me panic attacks and making me feel quesy. Go test drive it and discover it yourself. It's not a great car and the City ironically is cheaper.

Reactions: jerrysiow

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
I second this as well.
Camry or Lexus. "Safer and more comfortable" since that is your top priority. Maintenance costs can never match the life of your loved ones and the comfortable ride experience.

Reason being, I have been a rear passenger in some of the newer Vios and City (*age of at least more than 1 year old), it is so floaty and wavy at the back.

Apart from that getting a second hand car, you don't need to swallow the depreciation cost of the new car which is often more than 10k at least. Unless, you don't plan to sell this new car and use it until the end of its life cycle.

Last edited:

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
Tip: Do a pre-purchase inspection check with your familiar mechanic before committing to the purchase, this will ease your mind :)

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Ah ok. Here we go.

1. My cousin has the ES250 and she (yes... a lady) upgraded from the IS250 and regretted cuz it's so big behind. It's on par with the Camry if not slightly larger and it's more luxurious. It's a Lexus... so generally Lexus parts are more expensive. It's kinda similar to Camry plus minus a thousand or two. If you think Camry is cheap then this won't be too far off (in terms of maintenance).

2. The Camry Hybrid will have the best fuel economy amongst your 4 choices but most expensive roadtax and potentially insurance too.

3. City cubic ft is slightly larger but I'll bet it doesn't really fit comfortably inside. Wider is always better man. But the new Hondas are really good look with plenty of great tech and best thing of all : warranty.

4. Personally would avoid at all costs. It looks like a gulag inside the car oh and I actually got car sick while driving the car. Suspension is so wavy and now just thinking about it is giving me panic attacks and making me feel quesy. Go test drive it and discover it yourself. It's not a great car and the City ironically is cheaper.

Great input.

1. I need the "big behind" as I plan to have second child in the future. Maybe I need to prioritize around 8 to 10k cash for a used ES250 or a Camry.

2. Yes I know and the torque is very nice. Yes, I calculated for both ES250 and Camry. Both are 2,500 cc engine and included insurance will be cost me around RM2.2k per annum.

3. I will wait for the new Honda City and give a test drive on it.

4. Sure, I will give a test drive and definitely bring along my family to see both City and Vios able to fit my requirements.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
I second this as well.
Camry or Lexus. "Safer and more comfortable" since that is your top priority. Maintenance costs can never match the life of your loved ones and the comfortable ride experience.

Reason being, I have been a rear passenger in some of the newer Vios and City (*age of at least more than 1 year old), it is so floaty and wavy at the back.

Apart from that getting a second hand car, you don't need to swallow the depreciation cost of the new car which is often more than 10k at least. Unless, you don't plan to sell this new car and use it until the end of its life cycle.

Thank mate for your value inputs.

You're right! life of the little one is priceless. I will do more survey and some inspection on the car as you mentioned in another post.

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
Thank mate for your value inputs.

You're right! life of the little one is priceless. I will do more survey and some inspection on the car as you mentioned in another post.
Your wife is priceless as well since second child is coming :P

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
RM120k... why not consider a brand new CX5? surely big boot space, nice family SUV... easy to load/unload baby stroller... new car surely less problematic than used car.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Try Totota Topmark, seems their used car comes with 6 months warranty, but cost more. Maybe can find a good buy there......lol

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
RM120k... why not consider a brand new CX5? surely big boot space, nice family SUV... easy to load/unload baby stroller... new car surely less problematic than used car.
New I think cannot lah, I think should be RM140k above now......

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guy

did your konw why to buy this think,how if 2nd hand ?
or any comment for it

thanks

ftfong
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience