What's the grippiest tyre?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

azbro

Known Member
Sep 21, 2008
looking at the posts and reading tons of reviews..i keep on contemplating if i should try Kumho?

I go drags(friendly) about once a month...sometimes 2 ..i need a good tire in wet..not cause i speed..but cause i'm a bit paranoid when its raining...all the while i've been using T1R...and been really happy...buttt now...im just thinking if i should experiment another tire? since DRB,most ppl said its just ABIT better in dry...and about the same in wet...the price is around rm290 DRB 195/55/15 ...rm280 T1R same size.

Where else i can get kumho for much cheaper.....Whats the price going at now?they only got 195/50/15 right?but alot of reviews said T1R is better then Kumho XS...R1R too expensive for my budget.
I think you are looking for Ultra performance instead of Extreme tires. Dun mix them up, Extreme tires are mostly for the dry. Even if ppl say R1R good in the wet, there are many other lesser tires that are better than it when the sky opens. but between the Extremes, R1R is one of the best in the rain, worst is R-S2.
For UHP tires, between T1R, DRB, S Drive, V12Evo, GyF1, PP2 I would sure go for SDrive...Made in Japan. But if you using 17inch rims (driving in JB I dun think so...got many pot holes..haha) there are more tire choices.

How much you got yours?

---------- Post added at 05:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 AM ----------

Where to get Kumho in Jb?
Kumhos are the least capable tire in the Rain, but come dry it will equal the best tires.
Try JJ Rosmerah...Kumhos are open market stuff.

Is this how that Silverstone FTZ look like?

There is no "longkang" at all for it to disperse water quickly. Would be dangerous in the wet.
Get the FTZtypeRR..road legal..i think its the same price as the toyo888
Check to see what compound suits you.

I will give Silverstone a buzz next week to get some prices as they seem to have my size judging by the website.

What's the pricing like for Toyo R888 versus Yoko AD07 for the same size?

What about Dunlop Formula R, Yoko A048.... anyone have any experience with these two tyres?

Tks for the replies... valuable feedback always appreciated.
R888 is sure more expensive.

Depending on the car you drive and driving style, between Formula R, A048, R888 maybe no difference in performance. But if you like club racing and have a powderful car, then you have to try it out which is ngam for you. There is no 1 great tire out there.

Last edited:

skubv8

Known Member
Sep 17, 2006
this is a difficult one because you want lapping at Sepang and wet performance is a non issue.

gotta give up one to get the other. Perhaps purchase Kumho XS separately for track days?
Then for dailydriving may be Goodyear Assymetric made in Germany.

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
thx azbro for the clarification.

Yokohama S Drive how much bro? 195/55/15 in JB?

expenditious

500 RPM
Dec 31, 2004
UNDER THE SUN..
thanks az bro... great response...

tofu : yeap yeap... good value for money tires..performance also very good.. now japanese yen so highh...all japanese made tires increase price...ado8 sureeeee thru the roof...

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
luckily i re-read again only to saw TS intended to do some sepang runs... almost suggest MT ET DRAG wid L4 compound. haha...

oh ya.. my vote goes to toyo 888 for excellent consistant grip through out the thread.
and the dunlop D01j that i tried long time b4. do they still came out wid tis modeL?

azbro

Known Member
Sep 21, 2008
thx azbro for the clarification.

Yokohama S Drive how much bro? 195/55/15 in JB?
S drive price is almost same as other UHP tires...near to RM300 for that size.
In JB its a bit difficult to get Yokohama Shop that is giving good deal. The one at plentong don't trade with 2nd hand tires unless new. Price is also high.
Permas Jaya one trade in also low price. Better you check the price there and set it as a benchmark. Then go to a tire shop near your area and ask the price if you order from them include trade in old tires.
As for me, I go to BP to change. Save alot of money.

thanks az bro... great response...

tofu : yeap yeap... good value for money tires..performance also very good.. now japanese yen so highh...all japanese made tires increase price...ado8 sureeeee thru the roof...
If AD08 tire expensive I'll go for Toyo R1R (if there is stocks left) or still look for AD07.

Is FTZtypeRR new design?how much market?
Not new...been around for quite some time now. Silverstone actually started with the Proton Saga Cup with the Silvertstone Racing 14inch (can't remember, perhaps 13) tires (no more in production)
If I'm not mistaken FTZRR (195/50 R15) goes for Rm3XX. Marketplace has it.

luckily i re-read again only to saw TS intended to do some sepang runs... almost suggest MT ET DRAG wid L4 compound. haha...

oh ya.. my vote goes to toyo 888 for excellent consistant grip through out the thread.
and the dunlop D01j that i tried long time b4. do they still came out wid tis modeL?
R888 nice...D01j can get from members in the Marketplace. But Dunlop marketing in Malaysia is dead :(

Last edited:

kelvins3281

1,000 RPM
Mar 30, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
Not new...been around for quite some time now. Silverstone actually started with the Proton Saga Cup with the Silvertstone Racing 14inch (can't remember, perhaps 13) tires (no more in production)
If I'm not mistaken FTZRR (195/50 R15) goes for Rm3XX. Marketplace has it.
If FTZRR compare with R888 which better grip??

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
ftzR...? last time i used once. for my drag days... previously 1 havent play wid fat mickey mouse tires yet . the silverstone grip starts dropping when the thread is used 50% ... 40% it started to get worst and untill 30% its virtually useless... whereas for the r888. i was even been recommended to shave off threads to get max grip and obviously i wont do that (money wehhh)
it was consistant untill the last 30% where it start to drop alittle and need more warm up.

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
S drive price is almost same as other UHP tires...near to RM300 for that size.
In JB its a bit difficult to get Yokohama Shop that is giving good deal. The one at plentong don't trade with 2nd hand tires unless new. Price is also high.
Permas Jaya one trade in also low price. Better you check the price there and set it as a benchmark. Then go to a tire shop near your area and ask the price if you order from them include trade in old tires.
As for me, I go to BP to change. Save alot of money.
Bro, besides Yoko @ plentong and permas...got any other that you are familiar with?been following your posts in AW also...and very keen on getting this new rubber...The price difference between JB and BP big difference ah bro?Era maju all cant get la?

If AD-08 around rm300 can consider la bro....i dont have a bigger man wallet then rm300 :rofl:

azbro

Known Member
Sep 21, 2008
Bro, besides Yoko @ plentong and permas...got any other that you are familiar with?been following your posts in AW also...and very keen on getting this new rubber...The price difference between JB and BP big difference ah bro?Era maju all cant get la?

If AD-08 around rm300 can consider la bro....i dont have a bigger man wallet then rm300 :rofl:
The tire price is only slightly cheaper, but trade in price is much difference depending on the condition. I usually change tires if reach 50~70 percent usage. Cause for extreme tires like AD07, the wet grip is good until that only. So all year round I'm also confident of my tires handling well.
But if your tires are bold already, going to BP or JB dun make much difference.

Got how many size available for 15inch???:hmmmm:
Sorry, I meant was not only 15s, other sizes like 17inch, 18inch etc.

kelvins3281

1,000 RPM
Mar 30, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
The tire price is only slightly cheaper, but trade in price is much difference depending on the condition. I usually change tires if reach 50~70 percent usage. Cause for extreme tires like AD07, the wet grip is good until that only. So all year round I'm also confident of my tires handling well.
But if your tires are bold already, going to BP or JB dun make much difference.

Sorry, I meant was not only 15s, other sizes like 17inch, 18inch etc.
15s got 1 size only rite?

azbro

Known Member
Sep 21, 2008
15s got 1 size only rite?
I've seen only the 195/55/15...and it looks like 58 instead of 55..maybe the bland sidewalls makes it look taller than usual. I'm not sure if the 195/50/15 size is available or not cause never seen one before.

paranoid_android

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
just wondering if anyone have try bf goodrich g-force TA drag radial, for drag purposes of course..
can we get it in malaysia? I have read a lot good review about it.. they say better than nitto and r888.. planning to get those for drag purpose, if cheap la :hmmmm:

azbro

Known Member
Sep 21, 2008
just wondering if anyone have try bf goodrich g-force TA drag radial, for drag purposes of course..
can we get it in malaysia? I have read a lot good review about it.. they say better than nitto and r888.. planning to get those for drag purpose, if cheap la :hmmmm:

Its not available commercially from Michelin (BFgoodrich distributor) in Malaysia.
I've looked for a lot of tires with fantastic grip and none of the Bfgoodrich tires available locally up to my expectation.
The current top line Bfgoodrich in Malaysia is gForce Profiler
Only in the US to they have to extreme Bfgoodrich models.
Of course if you got a lot of money anything goes.

Most drag tires are used stuff they use during the drag battles. If you frequent such places, I'm sure you can get good contacts

However you can try the market place:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/chassis-and-wheels/292857-mickeythomson-drag-tyre.html

Prepare a lot of money.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my friend wanted to put on a sunroof for his wira sedan, any idea where can be done and how much? (roof-top + installation + wiring + respray)

is it advisable to do so?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience