What are the disadvantages of ECU-remapping?

• Thread starter badaveil
  • Start date
  • Replies 41
  • Views 16K
  • See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
accord21 : mapping is mapping bro , just like intercepting it using piggyback
doesnt matter turbo or n/a , ecu can be mapped to new settings and attributes.

accord21

Known Member
Aug 7, 2006
jinkl said:
accord21 : mapping is mapping bro , just like intercepting it using piggyback
doesnt matter turbo or n/a , ecu can be mapped to new settings and attributes.
ic...just now i went to bengkel..and asking for remap my ECU..then asking about piggyback stuff. the mechanic told me that, remap is enough and piggyback (Vafc) absolutely can't performace like the remapped ECU..is it true???

B

badaveil

MitonCT26 said:
the problem comes over time. if the chip is fried or lost its memory over time, the car felt sluggish and consumes tonnes of petrol. sometimes it wont even start. the only option is to change to another chip
You are the second person I read over the internet to make this statement but here you clarify WHY this is so. Very interesting. From what you have written it looks like ECU remapping is really serious and expensive business. While when things go well everyone's happy but when things go wrong it's tough and expensive for the car owner

cipan_supercas

1,500 RPM
Feb 4, 2004
Shah Alam
www.draxecu.com
MitonCT26 said:
let me support abit on khoyos' statement.

there are another way of remapping ECU especially on honda's.

by means of just exchanging the main chip with the "copied" ones flashed into the new chip. some sort of plug out, plug in.

the problem comes over time. if the chip is fried or lost its memory over time, the car felt sluggish and consumes tonnes of petrol. sometimes it wont even start. the only option is to change to another chip.
I think there is something wrong during reprogramming. The chip used is actually the same as what you have inside your ori ecu. If it can easily worn off, then your original ecu will always face that said problems too.

MitonCT26 said:
no2 of disadvantage. in japan, the chip is custom mapped according to your setup done at their workshop be it in mine's or spoon or mugen or whatever lah. but the problem comes when a dude in malaysia got hold of a chip from the halfcut ECU and then makes mass copies of it claiming to increase hp, well partly true also. but take into consideration their air temp over there, the octane of the fuel (japs have ron 100s) and their ignition timing etc etc etc. is just totally diffrerent than the conditions here in malaysia. well some have been working fine touch wood but it is still worth to buy programmable chip/ecu/piggyback/management with some sort of fiddling to compensate or to optimise your setup. some mugen chips are known to bypass ECU error codes/check light or just cancel any warning signs to extract more horsies out of their engines. one small error...then there might be a chance you see a piston or a conrod fly out from your engine. that's the worse case scenario lah.

that's why it is a risk and there is no guarantee that your car will become faster by just adding a chip. but, ultimately for the amount of money you spend for one (rm 300 to 500) for a non-programmable, why dont spend a tad bit more for some programmable, adjustable management to suit every upgrade or setup you want in the future?

my 2 cents. uncle getting old and grumpy already. hahahahaha.
That's why I do my chip the Jap ways. Tune to suit your car. Not just copy and insert into that slot.
Ecu chipping is a very serious business. I should buy a bangalow or open a well equipped workshop instead of buying these small items which actually equals to the price.

That's why chip copying is the only way to go here. Stand alone ecus are package with softwares but ori ecus ?? Buy the software somewhere else and it cost a fortune.

Last edited:

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
khoyos,
can help ask whether or not ur tuner can remap or retune mazda's ECU..
I've changed my ECU; but it seems that problme arises whereby FC is higher than normal and when I floor it, black smoke comes out from my exhaust.
It's a chop shop ECU as my previous ECU fried..

If he can, pls let me know; I'll pm u for the details.....

thanks

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
boon, khoyos tuner's post is just on top of urs. cipan supercas is the guy uve been looking for, hoho..

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
oohh...never noticed...
hahaha

Since it's a chop shop ECU, I'm afraid that the fuel map and everything is meant for Japanese rides.
I can always sent into C&C cos Mazda is under C&C; but I guessed the cost wouldn't be cheap. So wondering how much is the charges outside if I wanted to re-tune the ECU to suit my driving style.

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
mostly...older cars japan spec and local is same...
not a problem there...
one thing with chip remapping(change ecu)
fuel consumption increase
for modified cars...
more torque and power
engine will last longer as it has more fuel and control knocking...

alexklg

4,000 RPM
Feb 13, 2006
www.zerotohundred.com
Hi guys, i'm new to the world of ECU. Hoping can get some enlightenment here. hehehe...

Using the new Satria Neo, and from what i understand, it uses a Siemen's ECU, and apparently it is locked (not sure how true is this). Does this mean that i can't remap my ECU?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
doink, dats where u r wrong. remapping is to make the ecu run perfectly according to dat engine need ie changing mapped ecu on same spec engines doesnt mean dat particular mapped ecu suits d 2nd engine. get me? each engine, and i mean each (even if there r the same model), has different needs and a std ecu only operates roughly around all those engines' needs, and not being specific for each engine.

by mapping each ecu, u r actually making dat particular ecu to make dat particular engine to run at its best, hence operating optimumly. any device dat runs at its optimum capacity shud run on less power supply, in an internal combustion engine, it shud be running on less fuel, hence lower FC.

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
now the question is....how to remap the ECU??
I dun think standard normal ECU would gives u an output channel whereby u can monitor how much is the A/F; how is the combustion etc...
Thus the need of a piggyback or a standalone performance ECU.
So how was the tuning on normal ECU going to be done?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
boon : its not the ecu dat is tuned, but the parameters in the chip itself. tuning is done by the tuner using wide band afr sensor, etc and the new parameter is gonna be burnt into the chip the same way information is burnt on a ROM.

who says about adding a piggy device in the first place? hmm..

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
oh....
sorry lar bro...I know nuts about this thing...
maybe the hardware yes lar...
but the chips, ecus is like software already...
kekekekeke
I just need to know where I can get my ECU re-tuned at not a costly price...
=)

bomohymns

Known Member
Apr 27, 2006
padangbesardotcom.forumotion.com
just bought a civic sr4 b16a and found that the ecu already got mod...cant be tuned by standard tuner(kedai stended tuning)...and very2 kuat minyak...rm20 only for 70km....can i use vafc to overcome this problem..??

pifecto14

Known Member
Jul 28, 2005
PJ
Hi guys, i do not have much knowledge bout ECUs but is interested to remap my ori ecu, but where can it be done and how much would it cost??
How bout changing to performance chip?? Which wan is better??

UniqueTrader

Jul 30, 2006
i would like to know where to remap ECU and how much does is cost?? lets say the engine is a BOT ... would it cost more ??or the ECU remap doesnt work good in a BOT engine ?? hope all the sifus can helo me on that ... thanks

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
disadvantages is you need to spend $$ (if you are poor), then if you get wrong person (those ahbeng) to do the job you might end up getting alot trouble with your engine since ECU is the brain of your car.

Other then that, FC might increase since you sure tweak for power...powerband change...indirect might cause engine part life span shorter...just like you overclock on computer processor...

Hmmm...what else ar ? Let me think think first

A Post Every 5 Mins

hi,
i drive a suzuki ignis 1.3NA...
do u have a ready stock??

im planning to get a hi-lo kit with or without springs..
and how much would it cost ????

thanks!!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience