Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Water temp installation

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

gilos

Known Member
636586_43.jpg

636586_42_full.jpg

hello guys,

need some help here...
i tried to wire up everything but it seems that the meter doesn't get any signal from the water temp sensor :(

what i did..
1. tap ciggie lighter wire and connect to (+)
2. tap ciggie lighter ground wire to (-)
3. wire up the sensor
4. ground meter body to dashboard metal frame

when i turn key to ON, needle goes up a little bit....means power ok(i think...)
then i try to heat the sensor with my lighter... the needle does not move :angry:

anybody can help?appreciate it...thanks :)

hi there.

Many possibilities. Firstly the lighter flame is in excess of 120celcius (max on ya gauge) use hot water.

it didnt max the gauge...needle didn't even move.. :(
maybe i'm confused here...thanks anyway :)
any other possibilities?? :unsure:

maybe ur sender (sensor)unit not ground .eg. car engine, body ground.

just my 2cent

can i just tap ciggie lighter ground wire(black color) to ground the sensor unit??
is this correct?

or i have to ground it at the same point as engine ground?

yeah ,just tab the cigar lighter ground wire will do the trick.

simply find any unpaited nut/screw on the car body should act as a good grounding point

okie guys...solved the problems hehee :D

sensor didn't ground properly...my bad...heheh
wire sensor and ground wire touching...causing short circuit(i think) and then needle shoots up to max(120degrees)..lucky the gauge didnt spoil.. :P

then ground it again properly...heat it with my lighter and needle steadily rise to about 80-90degrees...woohoo..

thanks guys :lol:

u need use hot water to test la...and ur temp sensor will sense the temp slowly ma..... ;)

hmm..now i need to find an adapter in between the hose to screw in my sensor...
anybody know where i can find one?

where to install the sensor?n what do i need (eg.sensor,adaptor n etc)?

sensor is already got with the gauge...

the only thing u need to get separately is the adaptor in between the upper radiator hoses to screw in the sensor...which is what i'm trying to find now heheh... :rolleyes:

like this one..see
post-47-1104378022.jpg

fren... fitting the adapter with ur radiator hose is a good idea.. provided the size fits... and it shouldn't block the flow of coolant travelling to your engine... i would strongly suggest u try to get a NPT thread (-t- ) fitting to your original water temp sensor together with your aftermarket gauge sensor... thats the best place to monitor water temp.
btw, i have the adapter for sale.. the one connecting via the radiator hose... around RM60. better looking than the picture u provided. cheers.

Originally posted by ezwong2002@Jan 4 2005, 14:54
i would strongly suggest u try to get a NPT thread (-t- ) fitting to your original water temp sensor together with your aftermarket gauge sensor
there's two NPT thread given(1/8" and 3/8")...but both also cannot fit ngam2 to the original water temp sensor...sigh... :angry:

that's why i am looking for the adapter...may i know ur contact no. & location...thanks :)

i also got the meter aready , i guess the sensor can be placed in my car without doing an adapter . cause my car has a heater which has been blocked by a stopper , so i guess i need to take out the stopper and plug the sensor in there .

anyway im still puzzled with the wiring part , what is grommet ?. do i need to use an 18 gauge wire ? or any wire will do ?.

so reading the diagram , one wire to the sensor , one more need to be ground & last will be the ignition is that correct ?.

Originally posted by vestax@Jan 8 2005, 01:21
anyway im still puzzled with the wiring part , what is grommet ?.
grommet is the rubber cover on the firewall...u can see a few grommets on the firewall with opening on it, for wiring loom to go through in to passenger cabin...

do i need to use an 18 gauge wire ? or any wire will do ?.
aiyaa.. i just use ordinary wire...heheh seems ok to me :)

so reading the diagram , one wire to the sensor , one more need to be ground & last will be the ignition is that correct ?.
yup...pretty much like that...i just follow the diagram and it works.. B)

Originally posted by KeonG@Jan 8 2005, 18:43
the which NPT thread that fit for the wira 1.5?
sorry dude, not sure about 1.5... :)

oh groment is the hole at the firewall , i thought what , anyway i`ve installed the sensor aready , i`ve taken out the old stopper and pluged the sensor in there . the NPT fits just nice .

what i need to do is the wiring , at the moment i can't find the ignition wiring la , any idea what colour izzit ? black ?. izzit 1 wire to the ignition or there is alot of wires ?.

A Post Every 5 Mins

Guys need input....change my gti stock damper n spring with hot bit wan, need input any ideas wats d best spring rate n optimum set up for gti ? currently my car fr 50kg behind 30kg...dunno how to calculate d rate la :biggrin:... behind got 2 12 inch woofer. the thing is d car corner cun wan... stick la -potenza RE 711- err over slightly low speed. but i think can get better la, both spring n damper very firm...haiyo not much comfort la i tell u...but the thing is at higway cruising like...

Online now

Search

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom