Transplantation Reliability of Engine GSR,EVO.

sycay

Oct 26, 2004
In a current proton car, no matter putra, GTi, Wira. Suggested engine for transplantation are always GSR 4G93T, EVO I to III ...and VR4 series.

In the case of reliability, what do u guys think the most compatible engine to suit proton cars in the aspect to balance its curb weight and mounting stability.

In common, EVO engine will perform well and powerful over the other two engines, but..always people will remain the original 4WD gear box and they modify it by locking the gear box into 2WD. In the sense of that, people always meet with gear box leaking problems. Besides, the converted 4WD to 2Wd gear box will dinitely enhance the original engines' performance. Any consequences of transplanting these EVo engines into Proton curb?? especially in Putra and GTi.

VR4 engines will be preferably in most people's eyes,since it is offered in a economic prices while the power still at the up line. But, mountings changes will be surely needed. This is against the JPJ stands today. again, these kind of engines are getting lesser as well!!

In the case to transplant GSR, people would comment its limited modifications prospects. But, it is the most suitable engine to be transplanted in to Putra and GTi according to my friends as this engine will be well balanced with the Proton curb weight. In the case of remaining the original Putra and Gti gear box, this engine will perform better in handling compared with EVO and VR4 engines in Proton curb. Do u guys agree with that?? pls comment on this in the sense to let people know that we have to stress on the safety as well in the engine transplantation works.

Any comments are very welcomed!! This is the topic on "power, handling,and safety" of transplanting turbo engines in Proton curb.

Any false ideas that i gave, just default and forgive!! THANKS!!

GSR_X

Known Member
Aug 13, 2004
get watever also ..
main thing..
overhaul
dont be like me :P

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
all engine is the same .... :P

make sure that half cut condition is good by bringing a Mechanic dere to inspect...
before dump it into ur engine bay..Make sure u Overhaul the whole engine and change all the tear and wear parts like Timing belt, tensioner bearing etc etc....

I heard alot of ppl complain this engine lau yah la no good la....alway break down la...where in fact they just dump it in and boost it to 1.2 -1.5 bar ....crazy...

IMHO, GSR engine better suit wira, satria and putra.... :P

dolly

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
agree with evo3, 1.8T is damn nice! balance of power and handling

sycay

Oct 26, 2004
if i used GSR, then in the future i swap in the evo1 or vr4rs turbo, and vr4 rs intercooler, any turbo lag will occur??

and the horsepower will be somewhere which value approximately??

antonio

Old Member
Jul 27, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
we gotta look towards the car transplanted first....doesn't matter wira,satria,putra....bcoz 1.3,1.5,1.6,1.8 car bodies are all diff....not diff in mean of interior dashboard or seats...if u look closely u can see at the evo halcuts or GSR at their engine bay are being more weld(tap) n the material used a slightly better than our own protons....they r tougher n if u can weight then it is a bit heavier than our wira...all these in the end will be the result when u put a GSR in a 1.3 then having no to balance the car properly....

GSR is a perfect fit but what about those 4wd g/b???ok u got a solution by using back ur old g/b by sacrificing ur powerband ratios....n 1.6 n below g/b are not tough enough to be tortured like hell when using then on a GSR....but if normal driving with just kadang² drag no prob...

EVO's oso a perfect fit but the problem oso is the same as GSR where the G/b is 4wd...u can use the solutions same as GSR's but Evo's tends to be infact more powerful n torqueir than GSR's....can u g/b handle...

VR4's on wira is problematic where the L-mounting is not suitable to just cut and weld back to match the engine and body mounting....so VR4s on wira are advidce to sspend a lil bit of money n time to get evo's mounting....replace L-mountings with the Evo 3 screw wan and everything will fit like a charm...but that is just the engine...not aircond,but i wont go there since aircond system nowadays have two diff specs....if u put VR4 on a GTI then how u wan to use VR4 aircond comp which is the (gas lama) wif GTI(gas baru)...

it depends on who is transplanting and modify ur car...VR4 wirings are more hassle than evo's...that is oso a problem....but the if the person who does ur car is experianced enough then it will be no problem....

in terms of modification....i think any engine won't be a problem since it will be modified....if u put HKS power flow to ur standard 4g15 2001 above engine u will not be counted as modifiying ur car...modified is done bcoz the standard specs wont fit or changing to a slighly oversize stuff now thats modification.....if just filters,plug cable or bolt-ons la to be easy..dun worry...anything can fit wan...so does GSR....

wira,satria,putra, performances stuff is still alot in the market compared to saga/iswara,tiara,juara...so u wisaputra guys dun have to worry...handling parts such as absobers,springs are a lot..;

safety will be a major factor in modification...again it depend on u,ur mech and ur money....if got money can tap weld chassis,reinforce this and that,tar n anti rust all floor n doors too...all bushings are change...brakes system must be overhaul n so on....in is not enough to just put vr4 twin pot calipers to ur wira n expect formula 1 braking performance...even if just brembos oso wont do nothing if ur brakes system is not overhaul....an overhaul 1.3 wira brakes wif juz the change of bigger booster...will be better than just straight away change to VR brakes w/o overhaul the brake system.infact it will be worse if no modded properly....

dolly

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
vestax will soon come in and give his 2sen about the gbox topic...

jinkl-

500 RPM
Mar 3, 2005
Klang
hehe joeker is a joker maa..

my 2 sens ..
if u gonna keep the evo stock .. then evo la
if u gonna need a good FC then GSR its good performance and FC .. use back ur 1.8 GB also can ..
if u gonna get VR4 then need mounting modifications

antonio

Old Member
Jul 27, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
no need modify....juz get evo mountings...open up vr4 timing belt throw away the 2 bolt for the L-mountings...put Evo wan which is 3 bolt wan...sure tiada perubahan pada cagak enjin....hahahahahaha

sycay

Oct 26, 2004
now price of EVO1 and gsr around how much??

if i transplant GSR into putra, do i need to get letter from JPJ?? and how bout the procedures?? then, what about EVO1 in my putra?? which one less hassle??

the most important thing is which engine (GSR or EVO1) is more reliable?? i dont wanna really trouble up with many weird problems. pls advise.

thanks!!

Danny

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Originally posted by dolly@Mar 1 2005, 21:48
agree with evo3, 1.8T is damn nice! balance of power and handling
are u sure ah? then how come u not satisfied with 1.8T and transplanted to 2.0T ? heheh

I only recommend 1.8 for those who are easily satisfied and can control their passion for power within a limit. Upgrade options limited.

2.0T is more recommended for those with endless persuit of more power.

Nowadays 1.8 GSR and Evo 1 cost almost the same. Roughly 8k incl workmanship. Both also do not require mounting position changes. For the same price I'd go for the Evo if my car is a 1.8 and does not have any JPJ approval problems.

dolly

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
now i transplant liou, i regret!

1.8 oso not bad what, put in a td05 and you get quite abit of power already. then got the option of mivec head + standalone, i'm sure the power would come very close to 270-280, isn't that already close to what our weak protons and ff can handle?

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience