supercharger need turbo timer?

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
my car has a toyota supercharger engine and i was wondering if cooilng down after hard driving is needed like puting in a turbo timer. if im not mistaken the supercharger has oil of its own. i normaly leave it about 20sec before turning the engine off.

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
yeah.it has alot of lubrication.ur running on a GZE rite?its a root SC.
i dont think u really need one.

coz the system is diff frm a turbo.ur SC has oil..but i doesnt need to "be somewhere else" (sorry,dont know the right term) where else for a turbo..the oil needs to flow back after running about..

i hope im right.:_:

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
SABAH
www.irs-asia.com
I was using Toyota SC engine for the past few years and I've never install any turbo timer. The Toyota SC is a self-contained unit and no engine oil is flowing through it so turbo timer will be unnecessary.

Turbo timer is only needed on turbocharged engine. The reason, exhaust gas temperatures can reach a very high degree, and during hard driving speed the turbo shaft may reach over 100k rpm. So proper warm up and cool down is essential. To ensure that proper cool down is achieved, that's when turbo timer comes to work. The low rpm idling allows oil to continue to coat the turbo's bearing surfaces and allow them to cool their temperatures to a point below which "coking" occurs. Coking is the primary reason for turbo failure.

Just my lousy 2cents. Hope that helps. :shades_smile:

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
thanks guys for clearing this up for me.
1298 said:
I was using Toyota SC engine for the past few years and I've never install any turbo timer. The Toyota SC is a self-contained unit and no engine oil is flowing through it so turbo timer will be unnecessary.

Turbo timer is only needed on turbocharged engine. The reason, exhaust gas temperatures can reach a very high degree, and during hard driving speed the turbo shaft may reach over 100k rpm. So proper warm up and cool down is essential. To ensure that proper cool down is achieved, that's when turbo timer comes to work. The low rpm idling allows oil to continue to coat the turbo's bearing surfaces and allow them to cool their temperatures to a point below which "coking" occurs. Coking is the primary reason for turbo failure.

johnnygsr

Known Member
Dec 24, 2005
1298 said:

Hi Bro,
What is the recomeded sec to set for turbo timer to cool down engine after hard drive for 4G93T? Thks.

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2005
Cheras , Sel
Get the turbo timer with full auto timer like Apex'i Pen type.It automatically detect how long it has to idle the engine before shutting it down.

johnnygsr

Known Member
Dec 24, 2005
TermiziYeoh said:
Get the turbo timer with full auto timer like Apex'i Pen type.It automatically detect how long it has to idle the engine before shutting it down.
Oh.. I currently using Blitz. But I set the time for 40sec. is it sufficient to cool down the engine after stopping my car?

johnnygsr

Known Member
Dec 24, 2005
40 sec for 5-6 month. So far so good, but I scare later will affect my engine if the time is short to cool down. Plz advise or any how to test it?

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
For me:

Daily driving with some boost: 30 sec
Long distance driving (KLIA > 100km): 2 mins
Long distance driving (PG > 300km): 3 mins
Long / short distance with a lot of boost (Genting Highlands): 4-5 mins

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
running daily boost of 1.5 bar, whack at every opportunity ( not 1.5 bar all the time). no timer. no problem.

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
khoyos said:
running daily boost of 1.5 bar, whack at every opportunity ( not 1.5 bar all the time). no timer. no problem.
no turbo timer yes... but I'm sure after whacking your engine at full boost, you don't straight away off your engine also right??

meaning got 'manual timer' loh... hahahaa.

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
SABAH
www.irs-asia.com
I set mine to 10 sec but I always slow down before I reach destination, and normally I don't turn off the key straight away after I park my car...so idling time + timer time, there will be around good 30 seconds or more, should be adequate I guess.

Besides, my radiator is from other larger cc engine (1000cc more than my engine), so I guess the motor oil temperature is keep well under control.

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
On the contrary, the engine gets more efficient cooling WHILE u're moving... So for N/A... just slow down before u come to a standstill (after heavy revving)... then off your engine lor.

If u leave your engine running... u're heating up the engine... not cooling it down.

The radiator fan turns on to simulate an estimate moving speed of 60km/h. So if u stop your engine, and the radiator fan is not turned on... then just off the engine lor... otherwise u leave it... the engine gets hotter and hotter and hotter till the radiator fan have to turn on to cool it down.
But if u stop your car... your radiator fan still running (quite unlikely laa)... then just leave it till the fan turns off before u switch off your engine lor.

Turbo timer not that necessary on n/a or root SC lerz... more of an accessory than a necessity.