turbochargers or superchargers?

xingyu_tze

Mar 21, 2005
just wondering, which forced induction increase fuel efficiency + torque delivery? turbos or SC? I read somewhere, the advantage of a supercharger over a turbocharger is that SC got no turbo lag, meaning instant power?? but fuel comsumption?? die liao.. :eek:

simonchangwaimun

Nov 21, 2003
teamshadowrider.multiply.com
sc have high end lag
turbo have low end lag

daze

Mar 23, 2005
KL<>JB
ya, i would also like to know which one is more suitable for everyday car,. not that fuel consuming..like drinking water

raceengine

Saujana Impian
:)
alien said:
superchargers have high end lag?
what do u mean..?
and why is it so..?
That all depends on the gearing used. Superchargers are a parasitic way to increase boost to the intake charge because u r running it with belts that will sap a little power from the engine. There are quite a few types of superchargers around. If it is a roots style blower then yes it will have high rpm pressure drop because it has loss it's efficiency. But then if it is a compressor style supercharger like vortech then it won't have that 'high end lag' due to the gear mechanism that changes the gearing of the pulleys.

stock_kancil

Apr 19, 2005
Rawang
raceengine said:
:)

That all depends on the gearing used. Superchargers are a parasitic way to increase boost to the intake charge because u r running it with belts that will sap a little power from the engine. There are quite a few types of superchargers around. If it is a roots style blower then yes it will have high rpm pressure drop because it has loss it's efficiency. But then if it is a compressor style supercharger like vortech then it won't have that 'high end lag' due to the gear mechanism that changes the gearing of the pulleys.
argh!! cannot paham coz dunno what the meaning of "lag"

boggysv

Sep 7, 2004
google is your friend.

civic-r,
a maintainance free SC???
this I'm waiting to see...

over

Ampang
how much iz a supercharger kit cost for a 1.3 wira??

rollakid

Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
boggysv said:
google is your friend.

civic-r,
a maintainance free SC???
this I'm waiting to see...
hahaha.. this i want also... belt, supercharger oil... unless use centrifugal SC that feed oil from engine, but then you need oil cooler already.

got a friend imediately stay away from SC (or all force induction) after i tell him how much he need to spend replacing the puley belt and supercharger oil. :D

taqu

Dec 17, 2004
Small turbo with low boost (0.3-0.4 bar) also doesn't have turbo lag.

gsrTurbo9166

Apr 23, 2005
yup go 4 turbo
turbo engine juz need to change engine oil around 5k
gear oil only
service the intercooler oso

vadarius

Mar 20, 2004
Penang, Malaysi
yeah~! anymore turbo supporters???
u may find a lot of fun while driving turbo's car... for sure....
for engine's lifespend is depending on how u drive.... if u have the F1 skills while driving a NA, :rolleyes: the engine still can kong very fast... hehehe~! so go for turbo and have fun:D ...~!

zero_kool

Nov 17, 2004
vadarius said:
yeah~! anymore turbo supporters???
u may find a lot of fun while driving turbo's car... for sure....
for engine's lifespend is depending on how u drive.... if u have the F1 skills while driving a NA, :rolleyes: the engine still can kong very fast... hehehe~! so go for turbo and have fun:D ...~!
yup...turbo would be my choice...:)

just wondering, a car that came stock standard inline 6 converted to a powerful inline 4 (lets say cefiro A31 convert RB20 to SR20), will the handling be significantly improved? i heard that some SuperGT cars does this.