Spring rates question/help

mamamia

Apr 23, 2005
Hello fellow Titan experts, I have some issues which I hope I can seek your expert opinion on.

Car : Nissan Sentra N16 2001
Suspension : Coilovers (not Titan)
Spring rates : 8kg/mm (Front) and 4kg/mm (Rear)
Tyres/rims : Stock 15" rims with GY F1-GSD3 195/55/15

I like the minimal body roll when taking corners hard, but on my way to work using highway (very bumpy highway) I find the coilovers too stiff and sometimes the car bounces too much causing me to jump!

I would like a setup such that it is still stiff overall (eg during hard cornering) but yet still comfy enough to not make me jump up and down on the highway.

Do you know if my spring rates are too stiff, especially the front? If so, what would you recommend? Noticed the Titan spring rates eg mentioned on Accoustic's very informative website for his Sunny car is quite low (<5kg/mm both front/rear)...

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
hi mamamia

my one not sunny lah :( - corolla lah :) KE70 but AE86 wanna be :)

now running 4.4 front and 3.3 rear

Always remember to balance the front and rear in such a manner to keep balance

1) car weight % front versus % rear helps to decides the ratio between front and rear.

i.e. if 8kg front versus 4 kg rear, would be for car 66% weight front 33% weight rear, no car is this bad. I think ......

2) the ratio between front spring versus rear spring - for KE70 I have listed above 1.3 is understeer, below is over and 1.3 is neutral

I don't know about Sunny, have to experiment a few times and keep record then can know.

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
mamamia

this one I also don't know lah .... you try asking the nissan kaki :)

integramania

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Hello Acoustic,

Hi there.

Just wanted to ask you what would be the best spring rates for a Perdana Sei (stock engine) on 17" rims. I got this set of HWLs and found out that its 14 front and 10 pounds on th rear. The car is really stiff. I plan to change the springs to make my ride more comfortable but yet maintain its performance.

Any idea what I should go by? was told to try something like 12 front and 5 back.

Actually not sure if this is in pounds or kg...really new to spring rates. Not sure how HWLs go by

Appreciate your help bro.

Thanks

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
forgot to say: -

Your car original springs only between 1.x to not more than 3 kg/mm.

That's for normal cornering hence normal G-force loads.

When hard corner G-forces will be more .... but due to car mass never change
and cornering speed never double... hence the spring rate should not
increase more than double.

Hence cannot use more than 6kg any where.

mamamia

Apr 23, 2005
Hi Accoustic,

I got it! 66/34 F/R weight distribution for an N16....what do you think if I try to reduce the front from 8kg/mm to 6kg/mm ?

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Dremel

1,000 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Ampng Nrdschlff
Visit site
any rough suggestion for proton satria ? i'm not sure whether mine is 6kg(F)-5kg(R) or 5kg(F)-4kg(R).. does there any label of spring rate printed on titan's spring? coz Richard seems doesn't have the record.. coz mine is 2nd hand. The only thing that he said was.. 'wah.. your spring is quite hard'

I assume mine is 6/5 or 5/4 is because i got 2 friend running on 4/3 which are sgti and putra. Theirs is abit softer than mine.. with same damping settings.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys,
please advice me here any of the Radiostar users having my problem :
- the alarm to sensitive till a small bump/thunder/loud exhaust from car passing by and some time jus small knock triggers teh alarm !
its quite annoying and disturbing me / other road users or its even dangerous at parking bays n its jus make people irritating and might damage my car !
- so users pls advice me n share this problem that anyone has faced before n solved it by ................(info pls) :secret...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience