Should I get a EMS for NA engine?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

summer9uy

Aug 25, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Sifu,

Just want to some advice should I get an EMS for a CAMPRO NA engine?
Will it worth the penny?
Small modification done:
-4-2-1 Extractor plus whole set of exhaust system
-adjustable cam-pully (which been tuned)
-air filter remain oem, just change to K&N.

Please advice.

Thanks.

summer9uy

Aug 25, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
eightphantomz,

I do hear people says standalone is recommended for NA engine but I don't see the benefits?
As I know standalone are for NA with BOT.

Many Thanks.

eightphantomz

Jul 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
summer9uy, I see many thinks the same as u too. Cant really debate on that. Ppl's choice.

ECU is the brain of the car. Some OEM ECU has many limitations. And some are not tunable; only be resetted. This is when, the Standalone ECU is needed.

Sorry I'm not an expert but this is what I feel since I'm driving a not-so-likable-compact-car. LOL.

IMHO, Piggybacks are useless if the ECU is at low-par. Cant gain much.

summer9uy

Aug 25, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Thnx. But I really not sure whether the piggy/standalone will helps much on the NA engine.

Appreciate your advice.

Enslaved

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
It all depends what you are looking for out of your car/set-up. Most people use a standalone EMS for racing purposes as it is fully tuneable BUT may not be suitable if it is your daily driver. Piggys may be sufficient if you just want to make the engine a bit more efficient and gain some oomph from leaner fuel curve or slightly higher timing (all this depends on how well built the engine is too). Cheers.

eightphantomz

Jul 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yup agreed with Enslaved. If your concern is HP, standalones/piggies might not give much.
But for some, doesnt matter if its NA or Force Induced, its the pleasure of tunability.

Then again, it depends to your priority and the size of your wallet. ;)

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
Hi Sifu,

Will it worth the penny?
Small modification done:

Please advice.

Thanks.
hello bro,
i have seen and drove EMS on a satria neo campro n/a engine, i dont know the engine power output, but the result was impressive, 0-100kmh in 8 seconds, 0-120kmh i 9.5seconds, most impressive is 2nd and 3rd gear performs well, max rev 8000rpm. i believe any EMS will improve mid and peak power at least extra 15%. if you are on a learning basis as a hobby, then it's worth every penny, as time goes by, try porting the head + highcam + lightened parts + balancing, you will learn alot. but its a costly hobby BUT worth it! :driver:

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Yup agreed with Enslaved. If your concern is HP, standalones/piggies might not give much.
But for some, doesnt matter if its NA or Force Induced, its the pleasure of tunability.

Then again, it depends to your priority and the size of your wallet. ;)
But I believe, skills to harness the power, like launching the car 0-100kmh in the right rpm, double pedalling accelerator during gear change, understanding each gear max rev, is more important. EMS can make an engine performs alot better compared to it's stock ecu which is design for street/daily use in mind not performance. And actually to learn tuning a car as a hobby, not neccesary to always spend the big bucks, just require to do more research, meet n see more cars n ask the owners. this is very subjective until u try the real thing n see diff things

Last edited:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
in my opinion based on your engine mods standalone is not necessary
a cheaper alternative would be to rechip your stock ecu or get a piggyback like emanage
coz standalone is mainly used by people with quite extreme mods on their car such as high cams and high compression pistons for na vehicles coz these kind of mods would require quite a but of tuning when it comes to the air fuel ratio and the ignition timing and idling of the vehicle and many other factors
but with your mods you will not require such features
however a standalone would be optimal if you plan to go for some extreme mods in the future
in the end of the day is your money so the decision is up to you spend wisely and happy modding :top:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Hi Sifu,

Will it worth the penny?
Small modification done:

Please advice.

Thanks.
Based on ur set up... EMS are actually not necessary. If u are going to go for more, then u should decide ur targetted horse before u invest more..

eightphantomz,

I do hear people says standalone is recommended for NA engine but I don't see the benefits?
As I know standalone are for NA with BOT.

Many Thanks.
Standalones can benefit alot on NA, but not so much contribution to mild modification.
2 friends achieved 190-200WHP on a 1.8NA. What do u think..?

Thnx. But I really not sure whether the piggy/standalone will helps much on the NA engine.

Appreciate your advice.
YEs it does... They are sold at a price for a reason.

phantomRX8

Insignificant Fool
Mar 21, 2005
ISS
hello bro,
i have seen and drove EMS on a satria neo campro n/a engine, i dont know the engine power output, but the result was impressive, 0-100kmh in 8 seconds, 0-120kmh i 9.5seconds, most impressive is 2nd and 3rd gear performs well, max rev 8000rpm. i believe any EMS will improve mid and peak power at least extra 15%. if you are on a learning basis as a hobby, then it's worth every penny, as time goes by, try porting the head + highcam + lightened parts + balancing, you will learn alot. but its a costly hobby BUT worth it!

bro..this particular neo u talked about, using stand alone or piggyback? if piggyback, is it using unichip? coz i want to know how could the rev cut be at 8k..coz i am very interested hehe..do reply my post bro hehe

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

my suggestion is do a lot of surfing..researching websites on obd2 ecus..and also on closed loop ecus..find out their characteristics..and ways to cheat or should i say improvise on the cars performance without modding the ecus..especially on campros..research on why IAT is important if u want to more power from these siemens/continental ecus..i did that coz i juz dun have the money yet hehe..but i think piggyback such as unichip do get good reviews from campro modders..

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
hello phantom of the opera....hehehe

that satria neo is using standalone, but owner dunwan tell what he using, damned.....hehehe...
but what he said to me, the engine is stock (maybe hidden recipe, kanasai owner dunwan share)

but revs to 8000rpm, 2nd n 3rd gear really agile.....i was poisoned by him n i also have my revcut removed, the results are almost the same, just that my car was slightly faster coz big cc.....

DOHC engine with stock internal, actually remove revcut can do a big difference, coz DOHC engine is more focus on mid and top end power, most DOHC still have can rev freely up to 8000rpm. alot ppl might ask, why rev 8000rpm wherehence power drops at 6800rpm ? actually it does not seems to be that way, if able to rev 8000rpm you 2nd n 3rd gear can pull extra 20kmh ( 2nd pulls 120kmh, 3rd pulls as high as 170-180kmh ), can beat a stock setup by half to full car length. sometimes, even 2 car distance!

simply remove the revcut, then add fuel regulator + piggyback, already can do wonderful 0-100kmh and 100-160kmh result. a proper tune up, can even versus mivec and alot cars. nothing is impossible if tuning is right, with some right recipe inside ur engine.

can pm me if you interested to remove revcut, coz we are now doing VDO ecu's....we just take your ecu, reflash it and remove the revcut, richen your Air/Fuel ratio. I am driving my 3rd car with revcut removed, 3 are all diff jap cars.

Last edited:

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
i would rather delay/up my rev cut rather than remove/eliminate it.

rev cuts are for safety, its not about removing your rev cut, its about understanding the point where your max power is achieved.

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
hi mkmd,
shift up the revcut point also can be done. its entirely up to the owner preference. i have seen engine with piggyback safely rev up to 10000rpm too, ofcoz internal is aftermarket stuff n engine internal balanced

phantomRX8

Insignificant Fool
Mar 21, 2005
ISS
hello phantom of the opera....hehehe

that satria neo is using standalone, but owner dunwan tell what he using, damned.....hehehe...
but what he said to me, the engine is stock (maybe hidden recipe, kanasai owner dunwan share)

but revs to 8000rpm, 2nd n 3rd gear really agile.....i was poisoned by him n i also have my revcut removed, the results are almost the same, just that my car was slightly faster coz big cc.....

DOHC engine with stock internal, actually remove revcut can do a big difference, coz DOHC engine is more focus on mid and top end power, most DOHC still have can rev freely up to 8000rpm. alot ppl might ask, why rev 8000rpm wherehence power drops at 6800rpm ? actually it does not seems to be that way, if able to rev 8000rpm you 2nd n 3rd gear can pull extra 20kmh ( 2nd pulls 120kmh, 3rd pulls as high as 170-180kmh ), can beat a stock setup by half to full car length. sometimes, even 2 car distance!

simply remove the revcut, then add fuel regulator + piggyback, already can do wonderful 0-100kmh and 100-160kmh result. a proper tune up, can even versus mivec and alot cars. nothing is impossible if tuning is right, with some right recipe inside ur engine.

can pm me if you interested to remove revcut, coz we are now doing VDO ecu's....we just take your ecu, reflash it and remove the revcut, richen your Air/Fuel ratio. I am driving my 3rd car with revcut removed, 3 are all diff jap cars.
WTF?? hehehe i am really interested :burnout: UGPM hehe

bkf8660

Known Member
May 25, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hi newbie Nissan may i know what car are u driving
i am driving a HR 16 Small modification done like you too:
i never change the exhaust set because was fully imported blast || Impul
same like you-adjustable lighten cam-pully
-Hot Inazma VS

Im probably NA at the moment but now i am wishing to have ECU which i can gain few Horse and save few buck when i upgraded to Supercharger by still using the same ECU

many was recommended me like E-manage,Piggyback,Unichip,Shadow E-drive Throttle Controller..i am so confused which to choose

Please advice sifu !!

Last edited:

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
you latio was just introduced at nismoclub rite...? hehehe

e-drive throttle cntrler is not a piggyback.

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
ok im driving the 98 nissan sentra b14. done all the useful mod on engine respond that I could. for your latio, pretty sure its a modern car. as alot variable modern car with dohc engine,there are plenty of power to rev until 7000rpm n then revcut. one of the way to unleash power is still the same I would tell, "remove revcut, increase rev to 8000rpm"

this wont "give" you extra horsepower, but indeed helps alot for 2nd and 3rd gear acceleration, more wider power band to use.

alas, i recommend emanage blue for it's affordablity, agility and alot mec is able to tune it with an affordable price.

but if you can spend like rm1600, then get a Power Sport air-fuel controller, they do wonder n give super fast engine respond!

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

All sifus,

I plan to go with S90 @ 70mm throttle body and aftermarket aluminium intake manifold to match with my Deratech cam.
Meanwhile, is upgrade on air flow meter is necessary?
If needed, what is the air flow code number is good to upgrade?

Also, changing in bigger air flow meter will make the engine run lean ?
Please advise and educate... Thx.:adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience