Proton and Nissan to get in bed

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

It started off with Proton confirming that they will be rebadging Nissan’s luxurious Fuga as a replacement for the ageing Perdana for government use and now that tie-up seems to have gone a step further with a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the two parties to jointly conduct a feasibility study to assess new oppurtunities aimed at further strengthening mutual competitiveness in the global marketplace.

The MoU underlines a three month long feasibility study that will evaluate the incorporation of Nissan Motor Company technology and manufacturing expertise into Proton’s next generation of vehicles.

“This study we have agreed to do will focus purely on technology sharing, and in the pursuit of global competitiveness, the strategy of sharing technologies and platforms has today become an important and cost-effective process for all global car manufacturers,” said Proton Holdings Berhad Group Managing Director Datuk Haji Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir.

“It significantly reduces the time required to develop new products, extends tremendous cost savings in terms of development, and provides greater flexibility in being able to spin off a variety of vehicles from a common set of components,” he added.

“Successful collaborations between car manufacturers today are as a result of not only the mutual exchange of technology, knowledge and expertise, but also the capitalization of common manufacturing facilities, supplies as well as sales and distribution networks. This will accelerate the launch of Proton’s next generation of vehicles and models that are being designed to appeal to a more diverse and broader market segment both domestically and abroad.”

Don’t be expecting anything like the rendered image shows though as the study would most probably be focussed on passenger cars and the likes. In fact, the CVT transmission used in the Lancer, or Inspira as we know it now, is the same as that employed in some Nissan models and is manufactured by the same company but that is probably just a pleasant coincidence.

Attachments

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
Wow, really nice Neo GTR there... must be equipped with CPS-VVL engine, I guess :hmmmm:

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
hahahahah......Here comes Neo-line, Skypira, sagaline, Skygen. The sky's the limit!

Tech sharing? What does proton have that Nissan dont? Come on!!

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Oh shit...gonna see a Coupe Neo a.k.a. Neoline GTR.
GTR Emblem gonna get some good sales :rofl:

Charles

I brake very late....
Jan 7, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
00000ooooo my.....VQ and MR engines on future Plotongs?...NOICE!! more choices for hapcuts haha.

IketaniX

Known Member
Dec 8, 2008
JB
wonder will Proton ends up going back the old way by keep rebadging cars...

mdjames

Known Member
Aug 20, 2009
Petaling Jaya
proton is a failed government project... can only copy other cars and rebadge to proton logo... useless!

al0903

Jul 3, 2007
it's funny to see how people react on proton for that 'rebadge' word while other car manufacturers are doing the same thing too. lol.

example:
-Citroen C-Zero, a rebadge of Mitsubisihi iMIEV
- Mitsubishi Outlander rebadged as Peugeot 4007
- Lancia cars nowadays are basically rebadged from elsewhere i can't remember
- oh, that Subaru-Toyota-Daihatsu thingy

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i think this is for the new project of proton citycar concept (EMAS)....

where maybe proton ditching their lotus range extender engine to use drivetrain from NISSAN LEAF....

again...this is just my speculation...no documentation to support this opinion or whatsoever....

:adore: