Problem with my turbo

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Guys, I'm a newbie with Turbo. I sent my Frontier for service lately and after service the mech told me that my turbo is having problem. There's a slight sound I think is 'clicking sound' from the turbo and he told me the shaft might have bent so I asked him if the turbo can be repaired just by changing the shaft, impeller and the turbine. He said have to change the whole turbo..I can't believe it as I know turbo is serviceable and I asked him whether can source for a recondition turbo unit. He said better used back original. he told me the shaft bent because the car was raced when the engine was still cold. really?

What turbo is the Frontier using and would like to know if using ball bearing turbo the chances of a shaft bending is more or less?

He told me still can use but might lost some power but will the condition worsen over time? Another thing is, I notice I have boost spike every time I shift up from 4th to 5th with full throttle when the turbo is at full boost. It will go over 1 bar as my boost meter recorded. Will this boost spike cause more damage to my turbo? What can I do? my millage now about 80K I think it's a bit too early for a turbo to have problems at this millage. I always warm up the engine before I drive and I use a turbo timer to cool down the engine before it shut off.

Your help and feedback is highly appreciated.

Last edited:

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
Frontier uses IHI RHF4 series, which is journal bearing, non ball bearing. Most of time it's difficult to repair as it utilizes a divided thrust bearing system.

Good news is, there is a Core available for you.

Another good news is...the "click" sound might not be your turbo. Get a second opinion please.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
SDF, thanks for the info but I would like to know what is the Core that you mention?

Usually how to rectify whether the shaft has bent?

proPIPING

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
SDF, thanks for the info but I would like to know what is the Core that you mention?

Usually how to rectify whether the shaft has bent?
simple step is rotate the front fin with your finger,it should rotate freely...p/s hope you didn't have a big finger as your turbine is not very big...hehehe

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
well if the shaft was bent, it'll prob not be worth fixing.

a CORE is the integral parts , turbine wheel, bearing housing, compressor wheel. If u were to swap it in, we'll only re-use your compressor housing (aluminium one) and the turbine housing (cast iron one).

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Thanks Propiping snd SDF for the useful info.

about my 2nd problem about the boost spike. How to solve it? some say I can use wastegate but if I'm not boosting up of using a big turbo a wastegate is not needed at all since it's OEM turbo. other method?

proPIPING

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
Thanks Propiping snd SDF for the useful info.

about my 2nd problem about the boost spike. How to solve it? some say I can use wastegate but if I'm not boosting up of using a big turbo a wastegate is not needed at all since it's OEM turbo. other method?
how high is your boost...?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Popiping, 1 bar. Spike record at 1.1

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
boost spike for internal actuator turbo is normal..the pressure coming out of the wastegate flap is very high..therefore the actuator has to work very hard to try and shut it when the desired boost is reached, usually it'll spike a little bit then comes back down and hold's at prefixed level.

jo1

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
boost spike for internal actuator turbo is normal..the pressure coming out of the wastegate flap is very high..therefore the actuator has to work very hard to try and shut it when the desired boost is reached, usually it'll spike a little bit then comes back down and hold's at prefixed level.
I think it work in another way.... the flap will open when you reach the desired boost. The spike is cause by the delay in the opening of the flap or the wastegate hole is not big enough to leak the exhaust gas from the turbine wheel stream.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Jin, just now I got 1.3 of spike...can I neglect it ?

proPIPING

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
Jin, just now I got 1.3 of spike...can I neglect it ?
if i.3 can't laa,to much ...maybe your actuator diagfram is out alread...it supposed to open at 0.9bar maybe but the leak diagfram make it imposibble to open due to not enough pressure to push the rod to open your internal gate flapper...try to test the actuator first if the diafram have any leak...

Bump:
I think it work in another way.... the flap will open when you reach the desired boost. The spike is cause by the delay in the opening of the flap or the wastegate hole is not big enough to leak the exhaust gas from the turbine wheel stream.
agree with you j01

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Propiping, thanks for the info. Will have it check on the next service.

Gtiiiii_01

Known Member
May 28, 2006
hi guys... sorry to interrupt, but my turbo also got problem. blue smoke comes out quit a lot. but there's no smoke at all during idling n boosting only if the the throttle released after being press either low or high rpm. sifus out there thanx 4 ur help n feedbacks...

proPIPING

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
hi guys... sorry to interrupt, but my turbo also got problem. blue smoke comes out quit a lot. but there's no smoke at all during idling n boosting only if the the throttle released after being press either low or high rpm. sifus out there thanx 4 ur help n feedbacks...
can i know engine?

Gtiiiii_01

Known Member
May 28, 2006
it's 4g93p bolt on turbo. got levin piston,b8 conrod n t04e turbo. unfortunately the conrod came out from the block last nite. The engine blown... so sad... do guys know where 2 get 2L stroker kit 4 this engine.?

goo_61t

500 RPM
Nov 13, 2007
it's 4g93p bolt on turbo. got levin piston,b8 conrod n t04e turbo. unfortunately the conrod came out from the block last nite. The engine blown... so sad... do guys know where 2 get 2L stroker kit 4 this engine.?

aiyooo feel sorry for u mate..stroker kit got..but how much is your budget? if talking let's say 15K up..then magnus can custum for u..but if lower budget go for the 4G94 block..but that's unlikely to find in malaysia..huhu gud luck..y dun u plunk in 4G63 instead..or go for another 4G93 with duratech conrod and supercharge piston huhu..better combo i might say :)

Gtiiiii_01

Known Member
May 28, 2006
thanx 4 ur concern. can u giv detail bout the MAGNUS? is it a workshop? i'm quite interested. thinking of going 4 extereme project. got the mivec head adi. any other opininon from sifus out there?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

how it work?
izit can play with manual wira?
where to get this stuf?
LERC-attchan03
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience