Opti™Lens Coating : Epic headlights makeover

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
We have here with us a pair of severely oxidized headlights. It has been left outdoors for more than a year, exposing to rain, sun, and UV damages all year round. In result we have a fully hazed, blurry, rough surfaced headlights. The owner contacted us asking if we would be able to restore it. We took the headlights and started working on them for 2 days.
Here is severe condition of the headlight.

A closer look on the oxidation. Under certain angles it will show a fully yellowish headlight

Of course, we cleaned the headlight before we started the sanding process. For the sanding, we wanted to have a smooth finish and yet easy to remove the sanding marks. We started with 1800 grid and moved to 2000 grid then finally to 3000 grid. This process allows us to have a smoother finish but takes a very slow process.
Below is the headlight after completely removing all oxidation, so we tested by running the polisher over to see whats underneath.

To our surprise the headlight turned out very nice, As if it was new! All the pictures are not edited for lighting whatsoever.

Once there was a scuff here, but we were able to sand it down to a almost invincible finish, being a 1994 pair of headlights, there is bound to be some irreversible damages.

Only a small scuff and a small chip on both headlights.

After completing the sanding, polishing we wipedown the both headlights with alcohol and coated the both headlights with Opti™Lens Professional to keep the headlights as good as new.

We also inspected the headlights under the sun as if we were inspecting a car's paint to make sure there were no swirls on the plastic remain before we coated them.

On the third day, we did some water test on the lens and it turned out all nice and hydrophobic after the coating had fully cured.

Thanks for reading this short post.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Real superb job bro! Is like owner have bought new headlights! Save a lot than buying new headlights. :top:

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
haha something like that bro. but new one sure feel better touch,psychologically hahaha

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Splendid job! And you even care to take a 50/50 shot. That's double the work! And you already manage to source Opti Lens!!!! Sifu :adore:

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
Splendid job! And you even care to take a 50/50 shot. That's double the work! And you already manage to source Opti Lens!!!! Sifu :adore:
ok la not that bad la, small section resand only.I show what i can lo...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Lol since someone bumped up this old but epic post... Let me just say... Thanks for willing to do 50/50 for the sake of showing us how it's properly done. I myself am not willing to do 50/50 on headlamps as it is like double work.

SevenDust

Known Member
Feb 10, 2006
It's been a while guys! Now that is a perfect example on how headlight restoration should be! Cheers!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
What about headlights that have cracklines? (not exactly cracked, just when you turn on the light, u can see many fine cracklines)

I think those can't be save anymore right? Did ask around and usually many said because those cracklines are usually not on the surface. Is below the surface. To sand down also might have to sand real deep but then again.

Sanding it until too thin, they said it will break easily with any stones hitting it with enough impact.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What about headlights that have cracklines? (not exactly cracked, just when you turn on the light, u can see many fine cracklines)

I think those can't be save anymore right? Did ask around and usually many said because those cracklines are usually not on the surface. Is below the surface. To sand down also might have to sand real deep but then again.

Sanding it until too thin, they said it will break easily with any stones hitting it with enough impact.
Have to check properly. If the crack lines are inside nothing can be done. Headlamp restoration are usually damage to the top surface. Like this one I did for a friend, the surface like melted

Tough time sanding it, even use 100 grit then 400, 800, 1000, 2000 then plastic polish with rotary
Before

After

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya, then I guess after 10 years not yellowish like many others on the road, I think I have taken care of it quite well.
Time to change for a new pair then. Cost RM320. Kinda reasonable

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
It's been a while guys! Now that is a perfect example on how headlight restoration should be! Cheers!
Thanks bruh

I'll say those fine crack lines are from the inside, due to its age and constant heat expansion, the plastic itself had already fail, what I could have done for the top surface was to sand and remove all oxidation, then finish it off by removing the sanding marks. So far, I had not heard about the too thin and easily cracked part. Im meerely sanding away the original coating and reapplying my own coat.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks bruh

I'll say those fine crack lines are from the inside, due to its age and constant heat expansion, the plastic itself had already fail, what I could have done for the top surface was to sand and remove all oxidation, then finish it off by removing the sanding marks. So far, I had not heard about the too thin and easily cracked part. Im meerely sanding away the original coating and reapplying my own coat.
Thanks for the advice bro :top:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Part 2 of our 2007 Monash Motorshow coverage. Despite packing more booth girls, we'd like to apologize for the lack of cars throughout the coverage.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience