Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Need advice: Subwoofer setup

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

EG656

Sifus, I need your advice on setting up subwoofers in my old BMW 3-series(E30). Since I need the boot space I was thinking of free air subwoofers. Currently there are no subwoofers in the car, only 6" 3-way speakers in the rear and 5" 2-way speakers in the front footwells . I could see that the previous owner had 2 X 12" woofers installed as there are 2 large holes cut-out on the rear shelf.

My HU is a Pioneer 5750 and the rear is connected to a Prestige 100W amp. I intend to use this amp to run the 2 X 12" woofers and get another amp to run the pair of 6" 3-way speakers. My question is what type/brand of subwoofer is suitable and what else would I need to do so that I get a reasonably good set-up?

Your amp will not able to push 2 12" sub, even 1 also hard already. A good or middle class sub minimum power is 200watt rms and above. The brand I will not mention it here, all the decesion still is your money, not other people's view.

continue to use your prestige amp to power your front speaker... then buy the sub with the amp for the sub together...

eg656 bro..tumpang ur thread for a while..as i olso need help concernin subwoofer..hope u dun mind...my plan now is...to add 1 mtx 12" double voice coil sub and powered by a mtx amplifier..however..i m keepin the stock speakers...dunno wut speakers...oh yea..i m drivin hyundai sonata...2002 model..was wonderin if i install the sub + the amp..will it affect the ori speakers? like distort the sound...thanks in advance for all help..and reli sorry to eg656 bro..for tumpang ur thread...

kelvin--- said:
eg656 bro..tumpang ur thread for a while..as i olso need help concernin subwoofer..hope u dun mind...my plan now is...to add 1 mtx 12" double voice coil sub and powered by a mtx amplifier..however..i m keepin the stock speakers...dunno wut speakers...oh yea..i m drivin hyundai sonata...2002 model..was wonderin if i install the sub + the amp..will it affect the ori speakers? like distort the sound...thanks in advance for all help..and reli sorry to eg656 bro..for tumpang ur thread...

No laa... just your bass louder than stock speaker...

I was told by one accessory shop that using free-air subwoofer will not achieve a good bass sound as a sealed box type. I'm not looking for really loud SPL but more towards SQL. So normally for 12" woofers what are the power ratings and can someone explain how DVC is connected to amp?

EG656 said:
I was told by one accessory shop that using free-air subwoofer will not achieve a good bass sound as a sealed box type. I'm not looking for really loud SPL but more towards SQL. So normally for 12" woofers what are the power ratings and can someone explain how DVC is connected to amp?

For SQL no need 2 x 12" just 1 12" or even 1 10" sudah cukup ma. We looking for Deep sound of sub not too much boom boom.

For a very high end type sometimes 7 " woofer pon dah very deep enough ex scan speak revelator or 6/8 inche Focal mini sub pon dah deep enough.

free air will give u very low bass, but wont be as loud as box type. if u want to go loud ported is better, sealed box gives u a more linear response, good for sq, but not very exciting for those who like loud bass.

dvc sub is connected to the amp either parallel or series wiring, u can search for diagrams on the net.

EG656 said:
Sifus, I need your advice on setting up subwoofers in my old BMW 3-series(E30). Since I need the boot space I was thinking of free air subwoofers. Currently there are no subwoofers in the car, only 6" 3-way speakers in the rear and 5" 2-way speakers in the front footwells . I could see that the previous owner had 2 X 12" woofers installed as there are 2 large holes cut-out on the rear shelf.

My HU is a Pioneer 5750 and the rear is connected to a Prestige 100W amp. I intend to use this amp to run the 2 X 12" woofers and get another amp to run the pair of 6" 3-way speakers. My question is what type/brand of subwoofer is suitable and what else would I need to do so that I get a reasonably good set-up?
Bro, how much u bought yr Pioneer 5750? thinking of getting it...

EG,
since you're not going to change the amp, just buy any cheap subs. It will give you the bass for sure.
Dont buy a Ferarri sub since you will not be able to drive it fast on the highway.

Guys thanks for your input. Yeah, it looks like to get a proper bass I would have to get a box. Looking at my boot space I am now thinking of making a customised box to house 2 X 8" woofers. It would have to be a slim but long box. So, what should be the volume of the box if I put both woofers in one box? Should it be ported or sealed?

hey_guy: I bought the 5750 for RM700 last year in Puchong.

Since you have limited boot space, i think u should go for sealed box
Sealed box tend to be smaller coz will require less air space
But it also depends on what woofer you buy
Some woofer will require bigger air space
But if you want heart thumping bass, better to use ported box
But if you want bass for nicer music, sealed will be good

im thinking since the previous owner oledi did twin 12s in free air maybe u should try the same as well since the holes are there oledi, damn that'll be soooo lowwwww, better put subsonic filter or rear windscreen sure crack, hehe :shades_smile: :shades_smile:

If you want free air woofers
They are selling at Brother's
JVC subs
Not really a reputable brand in making woofers
But i have been told that this subs are quite good in free air
Maybe its good for its price
If i am not mistaken, they are selling it for 10"-RM158, 12"-RM188
I forgot the model but it is white in colour
And has the blue LED inside the cone and follows the bass
If u r in a tight budget and want to use a low power amp
They have kenwood 12" also
Old model but power handling quite low
Produces quite good bass
I think its worth buying coz its only Rm188

tuckz said:
If you want free air woofers
They are selling at Brother's
JVC subs
Not really a reputable brand in making woofers
But i have been told that this subs are quite good in free air
Maybe its good for its price
If i am not mistaken, they are selling it for 10"-RM158, 12"-RM188
I forgot the model but it is white in colour
And has the blue LED inside the cone and follows the bass
If u r in a tight budget and want to use a low power amp
They have kenwood 12" also
Old model but power handling quite low
Produces quite good bass
I think its worth buying coz its only Rm188

Definitely free-air woofers would fit nicely in existing holes in rear dash. Now i'm undecided whether to go for free-air 12" X 2 or sealed box 8" X 2. Dont want to make the wrong choice. Or should I go for a bass tube which is removable if I need the boot space. What do you guys think?

not necessary to go for tube for removability sake, a sealed or ported box can be removed just the same, as well as space saving, can design the box to be taller or thinner, etc. tubes dont really give good sub bass, just cukup makan only.

what type of music do u hear and what type of sub bass do u like, from there we can decide which type of enclosure u need: sealed, ported or free air.

A Post Every 5 Mins

i've been thinking of modifying my waja 1.6 into either 2 of these engines..so, i need u guys to help me to make some comment on it..whether in betterness, COst, petrol consumtion, power and etc..
cheers..

Online now

Search

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom