My suspension dilemma

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Then I call BC shock dyno bullshit, because even Koni shocks have +/- variance between the left and right when it come in pairs. In manufacturing its called tolerance.

NASIOC - View Single Post - BC Racing ER series coilover comprehensive review!

The reason why a shock dyno is important is because the variance. I don't want to explain in my own words since by reading the post I linked gives a pretty good example.

To assume 10 clicks on right and 10 clicks on the left is the same is crap shoot at best.

That's like praying your left ball and right ball is balanced simply because they came in a pair. Guess what? They aren't balanced :rofl:

I must have missed in my post. I was trying to say that for the 1-way adjustable from BC, the shock dyno graphs look all the same, be it for honda, toyota, mazda etc. the valving looks similar across the board :biggrin:

the case is different for their ER series because the compression and rebound have separate adjustment.

As for different clicks on either side, oh well.. we only have our butt to feel :biggrin: we do not have the luxury of shock dyno tests :rofl:

Front because it's inverted looks like this ..

attachment.php

Have to turn the wheel to reach it.

Oh! then front more difficult to adjust.....:smokin:

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

That's more convenient. If adjust from inside the car, isnt that something like air suspension as well? Since can lower it and increase whenever we like.

That's better if can adjust within the car itself.

I think pro & cons, if it is difficult to access to adjust the damping rate, then at least u have no worries of people meddling with your damping rate.

I remember vr2turbo told us that his was meddled with and realised it feels weird and found out that someone adjusted his adjustables when it was parked.

Right vr2turbo?

Yah! suspect at mechanic there someone fiddle when bonnet is open....:banghead:

Yah! suspect at mechanic there someone fiddle when bonnet is open....:banghead:
Less chance of someone's itchy fingers if these knobs have rubber covers. My butt dyno not that well calibrated/sensitive. Might take me some time before I realise settings have changed.

Wish mine had rubber covers. My front knobs located at the bottom. Worried if mud gets in there.

Less chance of someone's itchy fingers if these knobs have rubber covers. My butt dyno not that well calibrated/sensitive. Might take me some time before I realise settings have changed.

Wish mine had rubber covers. My front knobs located at the bottom. Worried if mud gets in there.

Mine on top and have cover but one went missing......:banghead::banghead:

My wira has their GT Series road-touge package which includes HLSH front inverted monotubes (8K) + rear monotube (4K).

First time user of coilovers. So until such time I am familiar enough, I will refrain commenting about their performance.
After making such a statement, I feel I owe a little review.

Recently drove to Genting in this car. The drive up was really nice. Nice because the car handled really well. On previous trips, I had to slow down when the car understeered at corners. As a result of that, the engine lost momentum & had to downshift and struggle to bring up the revs. Compared to my other car, the Preve with a CVT transmission coupled to fair amount of usable torque, was faster going up Genting. This time round the new coilovers enabled me to go around the same corners without losing much or any momentum. Never for one moment worried that the car might lost control. Maybe the new extractor had a part in it but the trip up was zippy and so much more enjoyable. Had one of those (self-imagined) 'king of the hill' moments. :biggrin:

Now that I have said good things about the coilovers, it's time to look at the downside. The drive down was the total opposite of the drive up. Left the peak at 7am. Not much trafffic going down at this time. As mentioned before in another thread, Genting has all these new speedbreaker lines. It was thud, thud, thud (multiply by a few hundred times).. all the way down. Each time I go over one of those lines, I kept thinking to myself if my dashboard will fall off. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't speeding down. Far from it, I was on low gear and on the brakes all the time. Since the car is now lowered, you won't want to go into any road humps with speed. Regarding those speedbreaker lines, when you pass a corner, keep to the outer lane as the lines are spaced further apart. The highlight of the day was when I kena cucuk by another vehicle. It was a one tonne lorry laden with rubbish collected from the peak. I guess the lorry driver must think I am a road hog for going so slow. Not much longer, the fella to overtook me. Not that he was fast. I was that slow :slug:

To summarise, I am still in 2 minds over these coilovers. Call it a love/hate relationship.

U want good handling then comfort definitely will be compromise. You CANT have best of both worlds.

U want handling then forget comfort, U want comfort, forget handling.

Edit:
Just wanted to add .. you don't feel you're going that fast with these coilovers. In that respect, they are really that good.

Last edited:
Nice review parakey. Really appreciate it as not many f tuned owners give the review.

I guess that is the inherent problem of coilovers. Bumps.

On the up shot i'm glad that the performance is on par/above your expectation. Good coilovers are a must i guess when driving through a touge course.

Maybe i need to go up genting to test my coilovers also. Ulu yam-goh tong jaya.

This sunday morning anyone?? :P :P

Maybe i need to go up genting to test my coilovers also. Ulu yam-goh tong jaya.
To better appreciate your car's handling, go all the way up to the peak. There are tighter corners up there.
This sunday morning anyone?? :P :P
Yeah, I would advise a really early time. You may get overtaken by the lorry on the way down. :biggrin:

Itulah. Maybe i should try going uphill,then maybe i appreciate my coilovers better instead of cursing all the time going though the cyberjaya-putrajaya-puchong route :D

I x berani bro nk go to the top alone. Even my friend said 'ko noob lagi xyah nk genting sempah-genting, ulu yam - goh tong je :(

I x berani bro nk go to the top alone. Even my friend said 'ko noob lagi xyah nk genting sempah-genting, ulu yam - goh tong je :(
Go up 2X. The first time, go slower to familiarize yourself. Then come back down to the mid-hill for the second ascent. No need for gila gila speed. Stay within your comfort level.

Last edited:
See first bro how. I try the ulu yam goh tong dlu. If feel confident, then maybe on way down i lalu genting sempah.

After making such a statement, I feel I owe a little review.

Recently drove to Genting in this car. The drive up was really nice. Nice because the car handled really well. On previous trips, I had to slow down when the car understeered at corners. As a result of that, the engine lost momentum & had to downshift and struggle to bring up the revs. Compared to my other car, the Preve with a CVT transmission coupled to fair amount of usable torque, was faster going up Genting. This time round the new coilovers enabled me to go around the same corners without losing much or any momentum. Never for one moment worried that the car might lost control. Maybe the new extractor had a part in it but the trip up was zippy and so much more enjoyable. Had one of those (self-imagined) 'king of the hill' moments. :biggrin:

Now that I have said good things about the coilovers, it's time to look at the downside. The drive down was the total opposite of the drive up. Left the peak at 7am. Not much trafffic going down at this time. As mentioned before in another thread, Genting has all these new speedbreaker lines. It was thud, thud, thud (multiply by a few hundred times).. all the way down. Each time I go over one of those lines, I kept thinking to myself if my dashboard will fall off. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't speeding down. Far from it, I was on low gear and on the brakes all the time. Since the car is now lowered, you won't want to go into any road humps with speed. Regarding those speedbreaker lines, when you pass a corner, keep to the outer lane as the lines are spaced further apart. The highlight of the day was when I kena cucuk by another vehicle. It was a one tonne lorry laden with rubbish collected from the peak. I guess the lorry driver must think I am a road hog for going so slow. Not much longer, the fella to overtook me. Not that he was fast. I was that slow :slug:

To summarise, I am still in 2 minds over these coilovers. Call it a love/hate relationship.

Edit:
Just wanted to add .. you don't feel you're going that fast with these coilovers. In that respect, they are really that good.

As they say you can't have the cake and eat it too....hahaha
Pros and cons as mentioned many times. Better handling at the cost of comfort.
I once saw a very low modded car zooming on the road, then when came to speed hump he had to drive sideways and real slow too to cross it.....lol:biggrin:

If I still had my Wira I'd offer to buy over your coilovers.

Itulah. Maybe i should try going uphill,then maybe i appreciate my coilovers better instead of cursing all the time going though the cyberjaya-putrajaya-puchong route :D

See first bro how. I try the ulu yam goh tong dlu. If feel confident, then maybe on way down i lalu genting sempah.

Uluyam is nicer to drive imho. Sempah is quite trecherous so if you go, make sure you go during the day. At night you might miss patches of sand and slide into longkangs.

Genting Sempah very narrow and morning got lots of cyclist if u r late. Need to go earlier before the sky is bright. Cuz is a 2 way road but fit about 1 1/2 cars only at certain part.

Genting Sempah very narrow and morning got lots of cyclist if u r late. Need to go earlier before the sky is bright. Cuz is a 2 way road but fit about 1 1/2 cars only at certain part.

Chased by cyclist before, guess my group lead drove too aggressive.

Chased by cyclist before, guess my group lead drove too aggressive.

Wait what did I read.. you were chased by cyclists? Just how slow were you guys going to be chased by those slow-poke 2 wheelers?