"Malaysian government cannot control price of cars" - MITI

evolution9682

Known Member
Feb 9, 2008
Proton only able to sell in Malaysia,if export to other country no 1 will buy,some country selling price is even cheaper than we buy in Malaysia,so government keep the tax to protect Proton not to bankrupt....

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I read that the R35 sells at $60,000 in the US. In Malaysia, I heard that it sells at RM600k-700k. The huge tax imposed here means that for the average guy like me, my dream car will remain just that: a car I can only dream of owning.

People ask me, "Why spend so much money on your old car? 25 years old already wo. Not worth to dump in 20k la.:stupid: Better save up and get a new car. Full spec Saga or Myvi. Vios also not bad what."

Well, this is precisely the reason. For 20k, what am I gonna get? Half a Saga or Myvi? Based on the inflated car prices in this country, can't even get a quarter of a full spec Vios.:thefinger:

Oct 14, 2010
Kejung
very true. ordinary folks like me who owns an sm4 91 model cant even dream of getting a new car just yet, more with the petrol hike recently and the cost of living which is relatively high. lucky i love that old car of mine. LOL

Jun 22, 2008
no doubt is effing expensive in malaysia...
but hve u guys ever wonder d petrol prices here in malaysia..?
its da top ten cheapest in d world though..
other countries could die to fill up their petrol everyday.. but we're msians can easily rm1.85 per liter.. haha..
wat im sayin is.. high tax but cheap petrol.. other countries, low tax but expensive petrol..

balmung69

Known Member
Jun 20, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
what a load of bull man. if they reduce the tax. BN people like naza will suffer which is why they wont. its like the people are suffering by paying more tax with buying imported cars and still on local cars they are expensive too. they cant lower the tax for now . probably they will have to go in stages slowly in a time period of 5-10 years?

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Get rid of protectionism and let there be healthy competition all around. Not only in the automotive industry but other industries too. I'm sure somehow Proton and Perodua and other GLCs will learn to survive.

amonrei

Mar 19, 2009
Melaka
Tun M is a great man but as long as he lives, protectionism to the max. As for cronism and corruption, corrupt a bit enough la. No need to collect 100 supercars in your garage. Rakyat want to drive supercar too.:bawling:

Rex551

Known Member
Sep 11, 2009
Penang
Isn't it very clear that after all these years, those running the country haven't done the right thing....

We all know that higher tax alone is not subsidizing our petrol...

Look at Penang today,
Deficit accounts for the last 10 years have grown to surplass in just 1 year and still growing...

Think and stop the bullshitting laaa !. Only fools believe crap no matter who says it

VinPetrol123

Mar 4, 2009
no doubt is effing expensive in malaysia...
but hve u guys ever wonder d petrol prices here in malaysia..?
its da top ten cheapest in d world though..
other countries could die to fill up their petrol everyday.. but we're msians can easily rm1.85 per liter.. haha..
wat im sayin is.. high tax but cheap petrol.. other countries, low tax but expensive petrol..
I don't agree.. Say, an middle-income man, if he can get a Vios for RM55k instead of RM80k, he saves RM25k; how many litres of UNSUBSIDIZED petrol you can buy to feed your car? Do your math.

And, what's the savings when you buy a more expensive car? A Honda Accord at RM125k brand new?

Bottom line: Cars are priced too expensive in Msia, giving subsidized petrol to the Rakyat is not an excuse.

hafidz_moro

Audi 0000 Fanatics
Feb 13, 2005
Cheras
www.coroflot.com
All of you layman people mostly talk cock as well..dream of having sports car every day!
Be in common sense lah! This is all politicians...vote them out? what u think also can solve ka? short minded laa u all..

Any politicians, current government on opposition also will do the same thing..they will take advantage of your dreams for god sake! since you guys keep dreaming..dat means no matter who rule the government,dat government still want to make money out of your dream car..no matter how much percentage and all, duties and excise still be relevant in order to run the country..

blame me for talk cock? ahaa..yes now see this,their car is much way cheaper of coz! to those countries, car is like accessories..so not much tax kena bayar laa..but look at their living cost, income tax, GST tax, food tax and other misc tax which much more triple than us! their currency also high..and their petrol also very high coz dont have subsidy!

go and get to work!! u guys too much dreaming..or maybe go back to zzZzzZzzzz..dont talk bout politics and economy laa when u dont have the scale..read THE EDGE and BUSINESS WEEK!! dont read motor trader and top gear only laa ..maaa haii!

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
can someone correct me if i'm wrong but most cars are taxed 10% - sales tax and between 170%-300% excise duties depending on engine capacity with 170% excise duties on cars between 1600cc -2000cc which is basically what most Malaysians drive. take the FD2(civic) for example(2.0l) will have 10% sales tax + 30% import duties...means the price of a 2.0 civic untaxed will be about RM77k++ (i'm not sure what sort of duty excemptions Honda get for the civic so this is just an estimated but based on Honda US, the price will be about RM64K++)

lets just say the untaxed civic2.0 is 77k. we pay 130k. difference is rm53k(keep in mind that i dunno what sort of taxes US pays for their civic but their sticker price is rm64k!) 53k worth in taxes will equal to 28,648litres of ron95 petrol assuming that petrol prices remain the same thruout all 28,648l usage. i spend about rm500+ on petrol every month which equals to about 300 litres/month. in a year will be 3600litres. that would mean that i'd have to use the car for 7.95years to justify the taxes vs fuel subsidies but we all know ron95 wont remain at rm1.85 till even next year rite? and how about the interest for loan on a car worth rm130k vs interest on loan for a car worth 77k(big difference u know)? then there's insurance coverage which takes into account LOCAL vehicle market value which is of cos at rm130k instead of true value of rm77k. in the end and somehow...we are still on the loosing side.

i say let petrol prices float and reduce taxes on cars. i only used rm500/month worth of petrol once in my whole life...on avg i spend about rm300/month and that was pumping ron97 at rm2.05/l :banghead:

bangkai_jk

1,500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
m
"improve the quality of our cars and sell at a reasonable price"

haha nice. Dear P and P, did you guys ever get any improvement in terms of quality? and reasonable price?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

so my parents decided to sell their 2009 lancer ES and I was wondering if i can add a turbo to it.
It is a 2009 mitsubishi lancer es, automatic 4.0. Even if it is pricey, i would like to add a turbo to my car, would i need a turbo kit? can my car take a turbo kit? if so, what would be some reliable brands and sources?

Im not a car expert, but i would at least like to know the ins and outs of my vehicle.

my budget is about $2500
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience