Malaysian cars in the eyes of UK reviewers

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Why are some of you having preconceived notions that these UK reviewers are biased? Peel open your eyes. The City Rover got one star as well. Suzuki, Mitsubishi and Daihatsu got 1 or 2 stars.

Whats your conspiracy theory again?

alien

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2004
kuala lumpur
Visit site
proton and perodua fared terribly becoz it's being compared to better cars..
most of proton cars are years back in terms of technology,design and safety.
tat's y u can see a lot of reviews stating it's better to get a used car instead.
it's a success in malaysia becoz we love it's pricing.
it's the thing tat we wan.
it's not the thing tat those ppl in britain wan..
juz my 2 sens..
proton hav a lot of catching up to do..

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
Originally posted by Itab@Feb 1 2005, 05:40
watch top gear......its not juz proton....
in fact korean cars also they kutuk
but surprisingly in tht episode,Gen2 got the least critisizm,remember jeremy clarkson critisized its cheap interior only,otherwise i recalled him saying tht the car handles quite ok and performs quite ok
i think not jeremy critisize its interior.. its james. he say he quite like the design, with lotus tuned suspension its not that bad... but *knock knock* at the door and say something about toyota interior.. :angry: whats that supose to mean??

james also drove the kelisa in 2003, and he love it according to jeremy, but when they do the "handling test" in the kelisa, jeremy corner to the right and fall to the left side... duh.. he didn't wear seat belts..

so verdict: buy kelisa and put in a bucket seat with 4 point harness = perfect B)

btw my favorite part is.. KIA Rio..

*go up hill in 5th gear*
*vrooom...*
jeremy: "c'mon.. c'mon"
*groong grooong*
*krok krook krook..*
*KRUK! engine mati*
*car roll back downhill*
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

one thing i agree with them is that our national car and also korea's are made like its a tool for use, and doesn't have much passion built into the car (at least compare to continental car). remember their washing machine car? even got wheel spin :lol:

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
His point was the original seats in the kelisa dont offer any support ma. :)
May said he'd gladly trade the Lotus tuned suspension for some Toyota developed door trim.

But then Top Gear always kutuk bad cars one (even Rover, Porsche), everyone should take them lightly with a pinch of salt.

DJmobile

500 RPM
Dec 13, 2003
"the impian/WAJA is an spectacularly unfunny joke"

woh, that was harsh...

Deep$hi+$

Known Member
Aug 24, 2004
KL
Visit site
I am so happy that someone in this world did really comment on our proton FAIR AND SQUARE.
Some ppl think it is harsh, unfair to be compare with others car. PPl listen to me, out there a toyota corrolla or altis is not that extra expesnsive than a Waja. If you guys think Proton shouldn't compare with this big giants, then who should we compare to than? Perhaps china made car?
Sometime I really feel ashamed by on national car. Look at hyundai. Look how sucess there are. Both proton and hyundai start almost the same time(if my memory are right). Look how far Hyundai had gone. Did they get any governemtn support to push the sales up -NO. BUyt just look at their car today. Variety range of car with good safety feature are availbe at a very reasonalbe price(not in Malaysia lah).
We on the other hand,Proton is a laughing jokes.
Tell me ppl, which car manufacturer in this world that still sell brand new 10 years ago model.I believe only proton can and will do that. Is really MALAYSIA BOLEH, APA PUN BOLEH.
Nowadays world car manufacturer will put first priority in safety before they design any new car. And what Proton had did so far? Nope. Did we have airbags,abs with ETC in our Wira..No.. Waja..., Gen 2???(Ps the latter one might have I guess).
I don't think it is fair to compare Proton and the giant car maker out there but at least I hope you guys here will compare the Proton to Hyundai. Not because I drive a Hyundai that make me praise it like hell. No.. I praise Hyundai as I do really see how a small timer car manufacturer can grow so big to compete head to head with other giants. Proton..... balik kampung lah.I believe that even the next 10yrs we still unable tot compete with the big player out there. My prediction, next 5 years if Proton can achieve what Hyudai achive today as of 2005, I will be damn.
We have a good setup as a giant car manufacturer but I think our gov just keep on protecting them in every mistake and stupidity that Proton make. Anyway, who is going to suffer at the end of the day. It is not the gov, it is me and you guys out there.We are being force to buy a cheap car with skyhigh price. Go check on the net, what can Rm60,000 or USD 15,000 buy in the state. You will be surprise.
Price is one thing but betting our lives to accpet a low standard, unsafe car , now that my friend are real B.S. Rm50,000, you get a Wira or Waja, no airbags, no nothing, Accident and shit happen, then you are deadmeat .
If you ask me, I will tell proton to stop production. Just like Taiwanese car Manufacture, they stop producing cheap, stupid car. Instead they use the facility that they have to build for foreigner car, Part of their plant had been converted to produce spare parts for the local popular car. They have gone from a negative income to today a profitable company. But then again, I don't think in my lifetime this scenerio happen,Why, I guess if we close down Proton, then there will be so so many ppl lost their"side"income. :)
All and all, I do really hate Proton for giving out such a piece of shit to us the consumer. But what can we do. We malaysian are just too kind too protest any gov. decision. Haiiiiiii........Sad Sad country........

Dremel

1,000 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Ampng Nrdschlff
Visit site
woh kelisa in UK got multiple airbags meh?

dun watch those UK car shows ler...

still remember last time "SMGII gearbox.. NO GOOD!!" - jeremy clarkson

they really hate BMWs.. hahaha

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
SMG really no good mah, so is Ferrari's pair of flappers.

H pattern still rulez.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
that jeremy is kinda bias if you ask me, i like james and "little" richard more :lol: jeremy like the aston martin like no other.. come to think about it, aston martin is their national car.... how i wish i can be them.

one might say you have to give proton more time, yes i agree with that. BUT, compare to hyundai (btw, the accent deseil, worst car of the year lolz.. "beaten by a corner" - James ) proton is kinda move too slow!!

however, if waja is the budget level car at RM40000 and perdana at mainstream RM60000 i'll shut up imediately :D

K20AEK

Known Member
Sep 27, 2004
budget wise, proton cannot compete with all the other big brand. r&d wise, maybe source from mitsu one ler. the design dunno even got do some marketing research or even apply some creativity with common interest into it. making something different from other does not mean it will sell well. Quality part, aiyoo i see everywhere in malaysia, in timber, in furniture, even in food, ppl close their eye and pass the damn thing only. who care more about the how many point to pass kinda thing. if all fail, proton bankrupt lor.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
honestly i don't mind the pricing if they can make the quality as good as imported cars... and for god sake please at least build an FR car lar... sob sob..

revfast

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Selangor
Visit site
guys,

I almost can remember the quoted price from proton. In year 2000, my dad bought an aeroback 1.6 (M) milenium model. I had glimpsed for the price list, it stated:

price of manufactured: arround 40k+-

then add sport rims $1500, ''Lousy'' Cassette Audio set $ 800, airbag= $1200, tyre..... so many listed out untill it reached the final OTR price $ 59,967...!!!

You see, how obvious and ease Proton graps your $$... :D :D :D

Do all the '' necessary '' worth this price? :angry: :angry: :angry:

All I can say is: BULLSHIT

WinDz

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by Itab@Feb 1 2005, 05:40
watch top gear......its not juz proton....
in fact korean cars also they kutuk
but surprisingly in tht episode,Gen2 got the least critisizm,remember jeremy clarkson critisized its cheap interior only,otherwise i recalled him saying tht the car handles quite ok and performs quite ok
in topgear.. even EVO8 also kena kutuk lerr.. :D
"i hate the damn audio,stupid flasy lights!!" :P

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Here's some extra jalapeno sauce to sprinkle on yesterdays static shots of the Scion FR-S Concept, basically Scion's take on the Toyota-Subaru jointly-developed rear-wheel drive coupe. Toyota have now been so kind as to release two videos of the FR-S, a really short one and a really long one, to further stroke our loins and tease us silly whilst...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience