Increasing the engine performance...

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
Hi there..i'm driving a waja auto and i was wondering if i could increase the engine performance?actually, i'm quite new in car modifications..so,i've turn into this to ask some few questions.i've searched thoroughly in this forum,but i'm still not satisfied..

i'm thinking of converting my auto g/b to mivec lsd 4.6 gearbox..what do u think?

then, if i decide to change my g/b,what should i do to increase the engine performance/limit?(applies for both auto/manual transmission)

1.changing to larger pistons?what does it do actually?
2.Installing performance camshaft?what is the proper degree,more than 272 or below than 272?
3.crank pulley?what does it do?
4.cam pulley?what is the difference between crank pulley?
5.i've heard some people talking about changing the engine head...?rebore the engine head?what is it?please help me understand it..

what other modifications can i do for me to increase the power?em,i prefer to use stock engine..NA..not turbo,or engine transplant at the moment.. =) thx..any help will be appreciated!!:wavey::wavey::wavey:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Dude youre using the 4g18 engine or campro onwards?

No comment on the lsd gearbox, no experience there.

1.Bigger pistons as in bore or what? If bore then you'll have a bigger surface for combustion a.k.a more power. If you mean HIGHER compression then im not sure how to explain haha :biggrin:

2.No idea in cam tuning, anyone care to help?

3.LIGHTENED crank pulley: A CRANK pulley is a PULLEY at the CRANKSHAFT to guide whatever belts that need to be driven, a lighter one just reduces weight and makes it easier to rotate. Like for exapmle imagine ur bicycle carbon fiber wheels instead of metal ones lah :rofl:

4.LIGHTEND cam pulley: A CAMSHAFT pulley is a PULLEY at the CAMSHAFT that has to do with timing if im not mistake?* Aftermarket ones usualyl have markings to either retard or advance the timing. If its lighter than stock, the theory is same as above. It spins easier.

5.Changing the head is the middle part of your engine, the top part is the cam cover where ur cams are kept and where you pour your minyak in when you service your car. Then in the middle is ur head (No not literally your head :biggrin:) where the ports are. There are 2 types of ports. The exhaust and inake port. They both are basically holes where the exhaust gas enter and where the fresh air goes in to get combusted. By swapping the head that means lets say...

A civic b-series engine. You can take the 'head' from a type-r civic and bolt it into your normal b-series engine and get performance!

Why though?

Not all heads are the same. Basically there are some the lubang is bigger, or better shaped, or specially designed like the type-r head. Its meant for more air to go in and out.

If you want to get better performance out of your waja N/A I would recomend the basic upgrades:

1.Intake (K&N, HKS, ApexI up to you. I dont trust the unbranded ones tho)
2.Exhaust system, again this is up to you. I have a 'cap ayam' exhaust system in my car but it does give performance. I would also recomend branded exhaust's if your budjet allows
3.Spark plug cables
4.Better spark plugs? *maybe, again up to you :biggrin:*
5.Some kind of air/fuel tuning device. Apexi SAFC or a E-manage would be a good start...

Hey hope i've helped dude! :D

4G93NAPower

Known Member
Nov 23, 2008
Penang
This will increase the engine cc and the higher the cc the more torque you have

2.Installing performance camshaft?what is the proper degree,more than 272 or below than 272?
272 degree camshaft is good for daily drive and power

lighten crank pulley will reduce the load engine runs, less load and you gain more power

basically just to adjust the cam shaft, nothing much

5.i've heard some people talking about changing the engine head...?rebore the engine head?what is it?please help me understand it..
Campro and 4G18 can't change cylinder head, usually those using single cam engine and upgrade to twin cam for more power

Last edited:

ayoi84

500 RPM
Jul 18, 2006
This will increase the engine cc and the higher the cc the more torque you have

272 degree camshaft is good for daily drive and power

lighten crank pulley will reduce the load engine runs, less load and you gain more power

basically just to adjust the cam shaft, nothing much

Campro and 4G18 can't change cylinder head, usually those using single cam engine and upgrade to twin cam for more power
1. ditto
2. ditto (more power on 288 degree camshaft & not suit for daily drive)
3. ditto
4. ditto
5. ditto
6. Piggyback (SAFC2, NEO, E-Manage)

Happy mod :)

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
thx all for ur input..once again,what if i change my engine head with a mivec head?i found one costs about 1.5k..will it gives me power increment?i know the mivec will not be engaged as i will need to add the ecu,wiring,harness all that..this will be troublesome..i know i know.. =)

for the cam pulley and crank pulley,lighter means,not stable rite if high speed?i often travel back and forth from KL to penang..what will the rpm be if i'm cruising above 120?

pivot vs raizin grounding cable..and also voltage stabilizer..does this two is necessary?i know it wont increase the HP,but will it make my engine more responsive,stable,and last longer?which is better?pivot or raizin?

owh yea,about the piggyback(safc,neo,e-manage), some people said that there's no point of instaling e-manage if we didnt do major modifications...?is this true,as i know,the price of the emanage is expensive,so i dont want to waste my money if it didnt give an increase in performance...

thx all...these are my questions for now.. =)

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

oo..i'm using 4g18p..not campro..hehehe

Last edited:

4G93NAPower

Known Member
Nov 23, 2008
Penang
thx all for ur input..once again,what if i change my engine head with a mivec head?i found one costs about 1.5k..will it gives me power increment?i know the mivec will not be engaged as i will need to add the ecu,wiring,harness all that..this will be troublesome..i know i know.. =)

for the cam pulley and crank pulley,lighter means,not stable rite if high speed?i often travel back and forth from KL to penang..what will the rpm be if i'm cruising above 120?

pivot vs raizin grounding cable..and also voltage stabilizer..does this two is necessary?i know it wont increase the HP,but will it make my engine more responsive,stable,and last longer?which is better?pivot or raizin?

owh yea,about the piggyback(safc,neo,e-manage), some people said that there's no point of instaling e-manage if we didnt do major modifications...?is this true,as i know,the price of the emanage is expensive,so i dont want to waste my money if it didnt give an increase in performance...

thx all...these are my questions for now.. =)

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

oo..i'm using 4g18p..not campro..hehehe
Well.... you can't use Mivec Head on 4G18 engine =)
perhaps you can go for oversize pistons, pnp, highcam thats wayyyy more better than mivec :D

Lighter crank pulley doesn't mean not stable, it lighten the weight of your stock cam pulley
so your car respond will be faster since the crank pulley is lighter

RPM cruising depends on your gearbox gear ratio

pivot and raizin is the same thing btw, pivot made raizin voltage stabilizer stuffs

Last edited:

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
Well.... you can't use Mivec Head on 4G18 engine =)
perhaps you can go for oversize pistons, pnp, highcam thats wayyyy more better than mivec :D
owh..man..hahaha...ok,what kind of pistons am i looking at?what is the size?then..it'll increase my cc,still have to go to jpj?huhu..highcam,as in high performance camshaft?sorry,i'm not really used to all the terms here..:banghead::banghead:

throttle body...what does it do if i change my throttle body to larger TB?can i change my waja TB to other TB and notice some differences in performance?

4G93NAPower

Known Member
Nov 23, 2008
Penang
2. ditto (more power on 288 degree camshaft & not suit for daily drive)
Happy mod :)
not really la bro, my ride has extreme mods on it and its daily driven =)
-ps-
RPW 316 degree camshaft

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

owh..man..hahaha...ok,what kind of pistons am i looking at?what is the size?then..it'll increase my cc,still have to go to jpj?huhu..highcam,as in high performance camshaft?sorry,i'm not really used to all the terms here..:banghead::banghead:

throttle body...what does it do if i change my throttle body to larger TB?can i change my waja TB to other TB and notice some differences in performance?
4G18 stock piston bore 76mm

CC increasing without changing block is legal =) no need to go JPJ

yes highcam/race cam = performance camshaft

Last edited:

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
owh..so what recommended size do u recommend if u want to change my stock piston?

what about throttle body?

thx bro..

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
the 4g18 is a torquey engine, but not a high-rev engine, thus the mivec close-gear ratios wont be a good match for ur engine

if im not mistaken, one powerzone guy told me of how this waja did the mivec box swap, and had a slower o-100 time or was it the 400m? hehe ive forgotten

dude, no need to change throttle body yet...ur engine is still stock standard

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Id say you get an air filter+exhaust system first. Best 2 basic upgrades any vehicle can get, even lorries :D!

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
the 4g18 is a torquey engine, but not a high-rev engine, thus the mivec close-gear ratios wont be a good match for ur engine
yeah.

revving it above 5Krpm is somewhat pointless? :banghead:
i normally shorthift somewhere after 4Krpm.

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
Just to add

the higher the duration (degree) the less the driveability of ur car, e.g. for racing cams idle needs to be set higher to prevent stalling, n u will get crappier fuel consumption, but nice top end hehe

other than the spelling :biggrin: , the cam pulley allows u to fine-tune ur cam settings; play around with the powerband, making it come slitely earlier, or later

dont rebore ur engine head la...if ur mech sed that, throw him away :biggrin: mebbe the term u meant was skimming the engine head? the purpose is to increase compression, thus increasing power, while utilising the same amount of fuel/air but side-effects are increased chances of knocking and more heat (but skimming abit is orait la, dun go overboard)

those with the 4g18 can opt to install a twin cam 4g15 head, found in the mitsu lancer CK...NOT 4g91 ok hehe...BUT rare...so prolly expensive...n not worth it hehe

what other modifications can i do for me to increase the power?em,i prefer to use stock engine..NA..not turbo,or engine transplant at the moment.. =) thx..any help will be appreciated!!:wavey::wavey::wavey:

just do up the intake / exhaust system properly first, u can opt for an aftermarket cam (check out powerzone or matspeed) as well...and a lightened cam pulley

i feel that the stock spark plugs and cables (assuming they are in good condition) will be sufficient for now

actually...ill get a manual gearbox 1st la hehe

do state ur budget as well, if cukup...then get mivec or gsr terbalik hehe

Cheers!

jolipoli81

Aug 6, 2009
Penang
Id say you get an air filter+exhaust system first. Best 2 basic upgrades any vehicle can get, even lorries :D!
Thats what I plan to do with my 4g18 too, but recently i notice the k&n drop-in filter had increased.
btw TS, I'm a 4g18 user too, totally stock and I do travel back and forth from PJ to Penang too. maybe we could meet up one day if we were to upgrade our car performance?

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site

those with the 4g18 can opt to install a twin cam 4g15 head, found in the mitsu lancer CK...NOT 4g91 ok hehe...BUT rare...so prolly expensive...n not worth it hehe
so a 4G15's twincam head will BOLT-ON to the 4G18?
anyone did it dy? the stock intake/exhaust header will bolt on to the head? :smokin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The new 911 GT2 is fast. How fast? 7:31m in the famous Nurburgring.Auto Motor & Sport Sweden recently interviewed Porsche test driver and rally god Walter Röhrl, who discusses his experience with the new supercar. <b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>

He claims he has done the Nordschleife in an incredible 7:31m, even...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience