If I Were An Automotive Engineer - PROTON

Ok, I can see that most of you guys here don't know much about Proton's story. There have been a number of great running prototypes of Proton cars that have been produced in the yesteryears.

I have a pal, from Lotus UK, who were here from 2000 - 2002. At that time, they were researching the feasibility of a Perdana with an all - new 2.5 litre V6 and a chassis designed and tuned by Lotus Engineering itself.

They were also continuing the secret Putra project ( sorry, I can't say much about this particular car ) which was first mooted and built by our own local, Malaysian Proton design and engineering department. I myself got the chance to ride shotgun in this particular black mule years ago. It was fast, and handled very well, like a EG6 in fact.

Sadly, these black projects never got out from the design house, the engineering room and the test areas.

Mahaleel got a lot of creative ideas, and mind you, he was instrumental in bringing in Lotus into our stable. Apparently someone doesn't like him and decided that his days was over. There was also a good reason why they bought the MV Agusta company : the design house. At that time, the most sexiest superbike did not come from Ducati, but MV Agusta with the MV 750cc super - sexy bike.

The current management is now trying to repair the damage they have done by boosting the R3 dept with more funding and power. Let's hope they are going the right direction.

did u guys watch Discovery? Proton has the latest technology stuff. Quite impressed though but i still think the quality is cheap.

ace79 said:
....with an all - new 2.5 litre V6 and a chassis designed and tuned by Lotus

Mahaleel got a lot of creative ideas, and mind you, he was instrumental in bringing in Lotus into our stable.

The current management is now trying to repair the damage they have done by boosting the R3 dept with more funding and power. Let's hope they are going the right direction.

dear ace, in my knowledge the V6 2.5 is a Mitsubishi unit also used in Galant, Sigma and Debonair. IMHO, it wont be economical for Proton to design and built a 2.5 V6 engine when their sales market is relatively small.

and fyi, it was the late Tan Sri Yahaya Ahmad responsible in bringing in Lotus into Proton's stable. he dies in a heli crash some time in 96 when he was DRB was in control of Proton over Hicom.

it was his idea to sell the Proton Tiara in 1.4 EFI sporty model as well as the 1.5 diesel. it was his company, DRB (Diversified Resources Berhad) responsible to produce the Satria (CC0 and CC1) as a joint venture with Proton. Proton wasnt interested at all to produce a 3 door hatchback earlier.
It was then USPD(USahasama Proton-DRB Sdn Bhd) was created which is now known as Proton Edar Sdn.Bhd.

such success traced back to the 80s when Tan Sri Yahaya brought in the Mitsubishi Pajero and Isuzu Trooper into malaysian market when 4WD market was dominated by Land Rover and Toyota Land Cruiser.

i wonder what will happen now if he is still alive.

Hope to see different categories of Proton cars in future.
Why don't we have our own SUV, MPV, 4 BY 4?

1st of all, Proton should not view themselves as a national car manufacturer anymore, they should try to adapt their strategies to the changing market's needs and wants, try to come out with their own designed-model, and not just imitating other's model.

Yup, quality parts is the must in today's automobile world.

Why Hyundai can be so successful?

As a Malaysian, of course majority of us will support Proton, if Proton would promise us with performance, safety, solid-designed models, etc.. And not just blindly emphasize on the price of the car alone.

Is it the price for a Perdana V6 is reasonable?

Last edited:
Hyundai is using mitsubishi engine as well... I can't say that Hyundai is success. Do you guys know in Korea, their people are not allow to buy foreign except local car. If you have a lot of money, then different story. Try to go and visit in Korea and see, you will not able to see foreign at all!

In my view, Hyundai is successful, of course, we can't compare it with the big guys in the industry.

Yup, you might see that Hyundai is not success, but the fact do telling us that it is, as Hyundai Sonata was being awared as one of the Car of the Year 2005, 2006 by Autocar Asean.

Hyundai is well-accepted by Singaoprean, but how is Proton's sales volume in the country?

Avante is the latest Hyundai's model available in Singapore, it's a great car, u might seach for it's info.

Last edited:
kk9972 said:
Hyundai is using mitsubishi engine as well...
har!!!
i thought only malaysia use ppl engine...
korean also need other country tech ar!!!

hhmm... if I was a proton automotive engineer. I'd take the R3 17" advanti rims and smash it on the head of the proton management and board of directors. Kill all of `em and then hire japanese to take over the already mampus company to see if it can be revived. If cannot, then start producing proton massage chairs with the engines. I think even the 1.3 engine could make one helluva massage chair if the engine runs at 6500rpm. buahahaha

If the company could be revived, I'd use super steel to make the body of proton cars. Then use super strengthened steel to make the chasis. Then, put in a turbo engine and some tough rims. I will also include spiked door trims, razor bladed front and rear bumpers and fire and break proof glass. I will then mass produce this car at RM20,000 for those who.....
HATES REMPITS. buahahaha With all those stuff, it'll be so much fun to drive and bang those rempit especially with the spiked door trims and razor bladed bumpers. You'll hear.... shing.... shing... shing... shing... shing... shing.... "aaahhh".... "aaahhhh" .... "aaahhhh" .....

hahaha...
bro funny la... that time its called PROTON REM-IT, d brand new proton car...
for sale at rm 20k

kk9972 said:
Hyundai is using mitsubishi engine as well... I can't say that Hyundai is success. Do you guys know in Korea, their people are not allow to buy foreign except local car. If you have a lot of money, then different story. Try to go and visit in Korea and see, you will not able to see foreign at all!
Hyundai is not a success? well, maybe Proton is very successful in your mindset.
Shall I bring the global automotive sales report again?

Hyundai using mitsu engine? oh man, your news is so yesterday, Did you ever try fit in new hyundai model with mitsu engine?

Not allow to buy foreign? You still can buy foreign car, but with a much higher price, Malaysia goverment practise the same thing, 300% import tax, after sales tax, and what's the fucking new tax that replace the asean car maker import tax? you name it. Evo IX is less than RM 80K when it reach port Klang, and tell me how much Mitsubishi Malaysia need to sell it in Showroom? Answer: RM284K

I can bet, if Malaysia really do the car import locking (no AP, no NAZA, no Merc S-class, E-Class, no Bimmer, 5-series, 7-series), until now, all of you will still driving SAGA 1985 model and you think that's the BEST of the world. Proton's "Champion Kampung" mindset doesn't feel to improve (and release new car model) since thier product is so sellable in Malaysia.

Just tell me how long Proton selling Wira?
Draw the chart and compare with how many Civic model Honda release for the same time frame. How many Corolla model Toyota release?

Last edited:
No offence but i think you are wrong. More practical you should think "If I am the CEO of Proton" or "If I am the Government". You think so easy to become an engineer? You need to read a lot of and have a lot of technical knowledge. Aahh... but being a CEO or a Y.B is a defferent story, you just need to talk cock,sing song, close 1 eye, money come hold out your hands and take it(doesn't matter if the money if legal or not cause u are the law). As a Y.B you only need to learn 2 words; that is Ya(Coconut), Botoi(Bottle), (both jargon pronounce in Hokkien) when you are in the Parliment. Maybe then you can lower down the tax or maybe you can accept some of the engineers idea being the CEO.

Satria_95, to get rid of those Mat Rempits is easy. I use to drive a kancil at this highway where there is a lot of Rempits. They alway hog the road if you are behind driving a kancil. 1 day I drove my uncle's 4.5 litre diesel Land Cruiser (with the car jack high with off road suspension) and met this group of Rempit hogging the road again and i cucuk them from behind at a speed of 120 km/h and press my gas pedal hard to let out a loud roar of VROOM...........they all just sway off the road lintang pukang and you should see the look of their face....

jeanloo,
buahahahaha I guess you had your clutch down when you rev your accelerator, right? I'm just afraid (which 99.9% would mostly likely happen) not press the clutch and rev hard. That time, it's not vroom already. It'll be crash bang church splat. hahaha And I'm lovin' it. haha That time, we'll have McRempits. buahahaha yeah... I'm lovin' it.

wahahahahah

that time is

"Rempit Fold Over with tartar (goodbye) Sauce

kekekeekekkeke

haha .. everyone changed thread purpose already .. one people start all the rest will follow, thats our culture.

joeker,
Even if certified, have to see where the certification come from. If it came from proton, then erm... might as well just buy it off the net. hahaha

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom