If I Were An Automotive Engineer - PROTON

if I were a proton engineer arr?

ok.. up a bit : chief engineer.

*to have QC inspectors from Volvo and Audi. Swedes never take it easy on quality.

*to have few models moulded from Pinifarina

*get back Petronas' E01W engine... that's 2.0L 214whp on a GTi. For newer performance model. and a suitable gearbox.

----get back Petronas' E01W engine... that's 2.0L 214whp on a GTi. For newer performance model. and a suitable gearbox.---

bro, not many ppl can aford such expensive engine. the cost of the engine might make the proton car price go up samor. That is the last thing the rakyat want from their proton.

My advice to proton :Keep things simple, reliable, practical and affordable to average malaysian. That would be a good start in all departments of Proton.

learn from korean car, same starting year, at initially they also got many parts share with others car maker, now they have own technology to build their own car.

If I were an automotive engineer for proton......

I would resign and feel ashamed of myself because of all the complaint and kutuks i received in zth. :regular_smile:

Lopot said:
If I were an automotive engineer for proton......

I would resign and feel ashamed of myself because of all the complaint and kutuks i received in zth. :regular_smile:

hehe agree... but if nak cari makan, mau resign pun susah~!!

resign is easy, many ppl r waiting for your post...
but searching for job is hard!

AccordRacing said:
learn from korean car, same starting year, at initially they also got many parts share with others car maker, now they have own technology to build their own car.

in my knowledge, the hyundai company started back in the 60s and in the late 70's they already started to produce Hyundai Stellar - based on the Ford Cortina. hyundai stellar was the large saloon from hyundai until the replacement came in 1990 known as Sonata. design was new but power plants came from Mitsubishi. including 4G63 DOHC aka VR4.

not long after Hyundai launched the Stellar, they launched a smaller sized sedan based on Mitsubishi Lancer - known as the Pony. the Pony grew in the 80's, just like Saga - but other then the 12v engine, it also created a coupe version of it known as the SCoupe; which later more popularly known as Coupe. It even had a turbocharged model!!

so, to say hyundai started same to proton in incorrect.

Kia also started in the 60's - more popular as bicyle maker. then they begun producing military vehicles for korean goverment. their 1st road production car was a small mini sized car based on Mazda 121. later they took Mazda 323 and created one new model on it known as the Shuma @ Sephia. the 2nd model of Sephia was actually meant to be Indonesian national car but when the projected was dropped, Kia bought the design over.

Malaysia's proton is only half the experience of hyundai and kia; we cant compare them just like that. but as we are living in the world of fast info technology - i can say that proton is super slow in developing.

actually, we cannot expect proton putting those performance accesories in every model because it's family car... actually they did putting sport stuff like r3...
im a owner of a proton wira... overall is ok... because it is still a 1.3... haha!!
my suggestion is... improve the quality!!
the mean of quality is the noisy sound come from everywhere!!
when going bumpy road is really noisy... those cit cit sound... this n that!

Super slow in design car is one thing. proton seems to be unable to improve their car. The Neo's interior seems to be more cramped compared to its old generation.
What happened? The interior design engineer body shrunk throughout his employment?

This make Neo harder to market in oversea.....unless the Mat Salleh there are stunted in their body growth. LOL

Bottom line;
Slow in design, even if can design the design come out still unsatsifactory.

ken yeang said:
Super slow in design car is one thing. proton seems to be unable to improve their car. The Neo's interior seems to be more cramped compared to its old generation.
What happened? The interior design engineer body shrunk throughout his employment?

This make Neo harder to market in oversea.....unless the Mat Salleh there are stunted in their body growth. LOL

Bottom line;
Slow in design, even if can design the design come out still unsatsifactory.
they say they reduced the size coz of aerodynamic design wor.... what shit la??... we also not using it as a track day car.... we still need interior space ler.....

SNeo is vr small in size la... i dont think they have chance to compete in oversea market.... unless, they are as good as lotus elise.... then, they have the reason...

One concern, you guys will buy SNeo as a family car? If it is a family car, why it is a 2-doors version? As my 2cents, SNeo is more for younger market who likes coupe style and sporty look. As exterior design is good and just nice for me and at least I can see it is improving from wira, satria, putra which used all the same dashboard.

skywalker said:
they say they reduced the size coz of aerodynamic design wor.... what shit la??... we also not using it as a track day car.... we still need interior space ler.....
Sporty car normally don't have larger space la... For me... small space is good you knows... when I take my gf along... hehe... get closer... goooooddd~!!!!

if they really want to produce a sporty car, make it a proper sports car mah... alamak.... half half like that, tak sampai mana...

that's why...proton is famous for their "half here, half there", "want this and want that" car design and production.

Just see the Waja Limo, the Roti shaped Juara cars....What happened?? I think all tak laku in the pasaran.....Anene oso donwan to use the cars...

those proton guys shud really watch top gear reviews.have all of u guys watch the one that waja on crash test?
they compare it to vios and another car (dont remember la).
waja was really got lowest rating..

proton should focus on producing more sedan cars ie for malaysian market.

that's how toyota became so successful today; by producing cars for what the market want

SNEO is designed for a market so small especially in malaysia and that would never make it economical for Proton.

here are list of Toyota's family sedans...

Corolla
Corona
Crown
Carina
Cressida
Avensis
Vios
Corolla
Camry
Mark II
Mark X
Altezza
Aristo
Celsior
Caldina

if the design wants the specify to any group..someone from the group have to design it..not just old designer to design youth car..the taste is no there...rite?

These are mere Cost Concern & focus on Basics:

1) Structure

~ If cant afford solid tubular, then make use of thick hollow hexagon tubular, and filled inside the tube with cross-hexagon long metal blades (like * shape) to reinforced the structure, like what VW's R&D did....

~ With stonger structure, improve rigidity = safety (& better control / handling too)

2) Car Size

~ make cars that suits market demand, dont waste $$ concentrate on development that dont bring much return, develop what most ppl want!!

Satria (Neo or not) : for a small portion of ppl only
Savvy : not small enough neither not big enough

~ MPV takda?
~ Compact sedan (eg mazda 121 / Charade) takda?
~ Mini size takda? (eg Kelisa)
~ Why not concentrate on new Wira?

3) Dont waste $$ chasing wild dreams while basics also cant be taken care properly. Wasted $$ that focus on sporty side, while a basic reliable car pun takda.

~ give us a more usable engine power: focus on low end torque!! No point having high end HP & torque that cant be use most of the time!! An old school VW 8 valves Golf is an example of low end torque.

~ cut out those unnecessary : like wira sedan spoiler, extra plastic linings / pads around the door & bumper, etc

Put in the necessary:
~ a decent tint or color windor /screen that can block out some heat
~ at least CD/MP3 single disc player
~ better sound proof (its easier to do when its in assembly line)
~ better security / alarm system (a steel ruler already can do wonder, everybody also know that)

4) QC

~ Adopt lar better QC system, dare to copy on car design, why not dare to copy other's (like Toyota) way of QC............

~ Even a loosely fitted car also can pass thru QC, no wonder can find loose clips / screws inside a brand new car, that dunno drop from where.....

~ Change lousy supplier lar, even Tier 1 graded supplier also not reliable one. Just collect some statistic from SC will tell what parts most commonly goes wrong mar......

actually, when i read the topic at first, i DONT Dare to imagine, if im one of the engineer there...u get wat i mean....

but slowly saw all the sifu's here started giving out brilliant ideas, ....i think u guys r damn creative..

why not juz share with fun here...

ok...for me...i will go for the quality build for the car 1st...apparently too many reckless fault causes dozens of poor quality cars produced..

looks, PLZZZZ......dun always changed the facelift, better think n Spend more time to design a better car in R&d.... how many facelift down the road??

u c the wira alone, from it;'s 1st batch, 1993 wira, to wira wajah baru, to wira SE, to wira CE to duno wira etc etc.....unfinished story..

Roll out some popular market cars on the road /...similarly like Vios n City...

PPL WAN GOOD FC CAR N GOOD LOOK..

PPL R WILLING TO PAY....

imagine if proton comes out with a design similarly to vios, with the price tag of RM 50K, u c how many ppl will respond into it..

Color,--- provide more color choice, if can, include some pearl color ...like pearl black n etc....not to forget, the sweet FERARI RED.......u guys dun need to re-spray it...haha

Include optional accessories---> bigger rims, bolt on turbo, body skirting , HID lamps... n etc..

Proton has no name for its selfff (sorry) its a mitsubishi i am talking about. if only proton could keep up with the same quality of a mitsubishi then its a better car. hard bumperssss NO, hard makes more impact on to the driver him/her self as well as the other driver involved in an accident. Proton should come up with some new and more simple design. The original dashboard of a 4G91 and 4G15 looks much better. The dashboard of Gen-2 n Saga Iswara is real crap. talking about the rear brake light even worse, i just cant understand how the got the idea of making things look like that. Maybe a REAL Special Edition model then to just add some accesories (side skirts and front lips). hope proton makes something which could satisfy, rather than Malaysian buying Proton bcos its famous low downpayment n easy to get loans. Making it worse the second hand value is getting lower n lower. How many of Malaysian would buy proton if the tax is reduce for import cars? This is not a criticism on the engineer of proton but where is all the idea going? since malaysian have very creative on modifing cars y cant proton come up with what a malaysian want? i am very sure malaysian dont have such a bad taste. a decent proton car Malaysia Boleh!!!

Last edited:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom