How to Smoke Your Tail Lights....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Just something I found on youtube that I find that it might be handy for DIY-ers to give it a try
or those who would like to save some cost to DIY yourself. Looks easy but then still, good luck! :top:

How to smoke your tail lights - YouTube

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
When he spray first layer its actually turn out nice..after the second layer it just become ugly

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yup, agree that 1st layer is good enough, he added like 3 layers. So it became too dark that it just matches the car body colour...
Killed the thing but is a good knowledge of DIY Smoke Tail Lights for everyone though. Still he deserves a credit hehe! :top:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
but the color wont be even on both sides....as the spraying pattern & distance will differ.
So, there are still pros and cons that it might not turn out to be balance? Kinda looks okay
in the video though, but done wrong, really no turning back i suppose...

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
Do we have this night shade spray here in malaysia?
I have scoured the internet for any locally availability of this "night shade"..but no success.

Instead I bough a roll of transparent sticker (guy on LYN forum selling this) & used that instead. At least it can be peeled off if you get it wrong or change your mind.

The thing with spray-on's, it almost always cures on with a rough (whats a better word?) finish, needing buffing afters to have that nice shine as well.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya, spraying, u only got 1 chance to do it right, wrong then that's it.

Maybe can try tinting your Headlights/Taillights...like Excel bro said, tinting at least if it is wrong,
there is a 'U' Turn to that error. Spraying is risky unless u r good at it.

Heard from a friend, that he was thinking to tint his headlights with a clear coat just for protection from chip stones and etcs. That way, the headlamp is protected at least.

How To: Tint Headlights Smoked & Tail Lights - Video by DECALFX.COM - YouTube

mrtuner

Known Member
Mar 11, 2012
Penang
so, since there's no "night shade" here, does this mean that the only way to darken your taillights is by tinting 'em?

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
so, since there's no "night shade" here, does this mean that the only way to darken your taillights is by tinting 'em?
I have yet to see any sort of head/tail lamp tint in a can, but like I said in my earlier post.. personally I see sticker tinting has more pros compared to spraying it, in my view anyways.

If someone has leads to a place which does carry the spray on tint..would be great.

But I can see where a spray can has its advantages, like for small side markers or signal lamps. They are so small, spraying will be the faster & easier way than trying to cut the vinyl I guess.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I got a friend who tinted clear coat. Will ask him again where to do it. I find it good as protection against sand or stones from hitting on our expensive headlamps...prevent scratches and etcs

mrtuner

Known Member
Mar 11, 2012
Penang
Did some googling and it appears that tinting ur tail lights is illegal. I don't know if there's like a limit as to how much you can tint ur tail lights or if tinting is strictly illegal. Can someone help shed some light on this matter?
N since this is the case, will smoking ur tail lights by paint be illegal too?

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
Did some googling and it appears that tinting ur tail lights is illegal. I don't know if there's like a limit as to how much you can tint ur tail lights or if tinting is strictly illegal. Can someone help shed some light on this matter?
N since this is the case, will smoking ur tail lights by paint be illegal too?
Source?

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys.

Im looking at Clifford, Viper and Commando.
Most important feature for me is 2-way, shock sensor and starter kill.
I dont need remote start since its merely a luxury but not a necessity though the brands above carry this feature.

What d'ya think?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience