How to do engine transplant for a still under loan car

VeaRN

Hi,

I've have kancil basically its mine, i pay the car monthly (until next year :proud:) and do the servicing but the car is under my mom's name. So how do i do it legally? i've seen many new cars owners do it.

(Answers... and i did it my self in Sabah)

Ok this is what i did..
1)Buy the engine and install it in your car make sure u have the receipt of buying the engine and all the customs document from your chopshop.
2)Bring the your document above to Puspakom and pay RM60 for the test (fotostat ur IC & owner IC).Make sure your brakes are good enough.
3)make a letter to ur bank for approvement to change ur engine (this was suppose to be no 1) but neither JPJ nor insurance seems to be asking for bank approvement
4)go to ur insurance company to change ur car data in their database.
5)go to JPJ on the same day as no 4, fill the JPJ form to change ur engine no & color if u want to
6)Thats it, ur done....

Last edited:
i have very sketchy info as my registration was done by a runner...its quite a long n tedious process esp the test at puspakom which is why i engaged a runner but what i know is there are a few documents that are needed...

1. endorsement letter from putrajaya
2. grant (and release letter from bank if its still under loan)
3. the halfcut AP

then only can go to puspakom to get the car inspected then legalised at jpj. i've heard its getting harder n harder to get transplanted cars to pass but dont take my word for it...this was when i did an old car a long time ago (2.0l - 2.8l)

wah, arturo really B18c coming on the way ah?
now your halfcut in the kontena is it? hehe....

SF,
u no need that engine la, better save up some $$$ & buy supra straight....
i saw in mudah that time bout rm70k++

70k supra? NA ar? SF want TT wan la...at least 1++k wooooor. cash!

u all gila ar? i where got so much $$$. 1.6 oso susah maintain liau. maybe will need to downgrade to 2nd hand kancil aredy. save petrol n can whallop b16a on small roads hehehehe

anyway, something my fren shared with me a long time ago...very detailed guide on registration process n the forms needed.

STAGE 1: JPJ APPROVAL
If your engine was 1.6 previously, you first need an approval letter from JPJ in Putrajaya before going to Puspakom for inspection. But if your car was 1.8 previously, you only need to do inspection at Puspakom, no need JPJ approval letter. This is because any engine transplant at 25% (or is it 15%?) and above would require JPJ approval. 1.6 to 2.0 engine transplant touches 25% exactly.

1.6 to 2.0 engine approval process:

1. Go to JPJ Headquarter at Level 2, Block D in Putrajaya
2. Ask for borang tukar engine
3. You'll need the following documents to be submitted together with your borang tukar engine:
* Front and back photocopy of green card/vehicle registration card
* Photocopy of your engine purchase official receipt.
* Photocopy of custom's approval note for your engine import (not sure what it is actually called, but I know it's from the custom)
* Front and back photocopy of your IC
* Submit your borang tukar engine and your photocopied documents at the same counter. They'll give you a piece of paper as prove that you had submitted the application with a reference number on it. DO NOT LOSE THIS PIECE OF PAPER. On the top right hand corner of this paper, there's a phone number for you to call up to check for status. The application process would take about 2 weeks.
* Call up to check status before you drop by. When they tell you sudah lulus, then go back to the counter to pick up your JPJ approval letters. There would 3 copies of it, all signed, not photocopied.
* Next step, would be going to Puspakom Selangor in Klang. Bring along your JPJ approval letter, and submit them with your application form you obtained from Puspakom.

TIPS:

* Make sure your engine purchase official receipt has the price and the item sold are readable.
* You can get your custom approval note from the chop shop where you purchased your half cut. Your chop shop would give you a photocopy. Make sure your engine serial number, car make, model, etc are readable
* Just in case I missed something out, just bring along any documents that has to do with your car.
* There's a photocopy shop at the food court in the basement level. Ask for direction there, it's too long to describe here.

STAGE 2: PUSPAKOM INSPECTION
Here's the continuation of the process to test your car at PUSPAKOM and register it with JPJ Selangor (Padang Jawa, Klang). I learned it the hard way, hope you all could benefit from this. This process is referring to transplant from 1.6 to V6 only. 1.8 to V6 would probably be more or less the same I think.
1. Once you got your approval letter from JPJ Putrajaya, the approval letter (Surat Sedia Kawal) is only valid for 3 months. Bear in mind, the sooner you register your car, the more assured you would be. Just in case of accident
2. With the Surat Sedia Kawal, custom letter (AP), engine purchase receipt, and other related documents that I might have missed out, go to PUSPAKOM for inspection. Cost of inspection is RM45. This payment is made at the guard house on entry to the PUSPAKOM compound. Keep the receipts. It might be a good idea to temporarily extra tighten your brakes (DISCLAIMER: Do this at your own risk). I have new good brake pads (barely 2 weeks old) and I still failed the braking test. Most of the people there failed braking test. If you happen to failed your braking test, you need to tighten your brakes some more and come back for second round of test. Note that they close from 1pm to 2pm for lunch. If it's only brakes that you failed, you only need to do brake test which cost only RM25. This payment is made at Counter 2. Tell Counter 2 you're back for "Pemeriksaan Semula". It might cost more if you are required to redo more tests that you had failed on first round.
3. After you have passed all the tests, make sure you have all your documents back. They would issue you a PUSPAKOM letter as proof that you had passed all the tests. Keep the receipts, JPJ needs to see the receipts.
4. Now, with PUSPAKOM process done, you need to acknowledge your motor insurance company of the engine transplant. They would renew your cover note with the new engine number and CC. You might be required to pay RM10 for this cover note, because you upgraded your CC. Your insurance company would need to see all the same documents you used at PUSPAKOM.
5. THIS IS OPTIONAL: If your car is still under finance, you need to go to your finance institution (i.e. bank) to get a consent letter saying that the bank allows you to do the transplant (practically your car still belongs to the bank). This one is a quick process, they would just print the letter for you without much question. You might be required to pay RM50 for this process. Again your financial institution would need to see all the same documents you used at PUSPAKOM.
6. With the amended cover note and consent letter, go back to JPJ. JPJ would only register your engine if you have these two documents included. Bring along all other documents you used at PUSPAKOM as well.
7. At JPJ:
1. Go to Kaunter Khidmat Pelanggan at the main entrance to get a form (can't remember what it's called). Just tell them you need to amend your green card because you change engine, they'll give you the right form.
2. Then go to Door 5 at the back of JPJ building to photo copy your IC front and back (cost: RM0.40).
3. Then fill up the form properly. Codes and tips are at the back of the form. It's a ludicrously long form, where you have to fill in your name, car model and made over and over again.
4. Once done filling up the form, go back to the Kaunter Khidmat Pelanggan, at the far left window, hand in your form, photo copied IC, your IC, and all documents to the officer. He's there to validate your IC
5. Then go to First Floor, Door 7. Get your queue number at the counter directly facing Door 7's entrance. Your counter should be counter No. 29. Counter No. 29 is your last stop, where you submit all your documents for engine registration. OK, now one very important note. If your existing road tax (from your previous engine) had not expired yet, you are required to submit it as well at Counter No. 29. So, this means that if your registration is successful, on the spot you are required to purchase the new road tax for your new engine (2.0 CC). Hence, bring enough money for the new road tax, RM380 per year.

So, now you're done. You are now officially and legally driving a KFZE 2.0 V6

TIPS:
o Go to workshop nearby to PUSPAKOM to tighten your brakes (I recommend the one at Esso station about half a KM from PUSPAKOM. It's the nearest I found and they charge RM10 to adjust brakes). The reason to find the nearest one is so that you don't have to drive too far with extra tighten brakes, it's bad for your brake pads and discs.
o Go do your PUSPAKOM and JPJ process as early as possible, in case it rains. That area floods bad when it rains.
o REMEMBER: To untighten your brakes immediately after the inspection before going anywhere else

all credits to the author at http://www.my323f.net/node/4

Last edited:
well...it'd be quite hard for puspakom to inspect your transplanted engine if the new engine is still in the halfcut shop lolz. :biggrin:.

just need to make sure yr new engine is compliant before going ahead. what u plan to do la? u try explain what engine u plan to transplant n the sifus here will advise u if its ok or not...

Oh sorry bout that...
Well since my car is a 850 kancil so i want to change the engine to L2/L2s or whatever that fits hehehe... i cant wait till next year (done paying all the loans) :burnout:

Got another question....
What if after i change the engine and suddenly after going out of the shop jpj stopped me and check my engine havent been endorsed yet? (worst scenario) i was going to register it

Vearn...should do search first cos was discussed before in :biggrin:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/toyota/157964-jpj-engine-register.html

anyway, police got no right to ask u to pop yr bonnet...they need a warrant to do that if not mistaken. JPJ i not sure but have heard that on trunk roads such as roads to gemenceh n such, jpj does do roadblocks n ask modded cars to pop their bonnet. anyway, if yr car looks stock, they normally wont kacau.

ur from KK? planning to do the transplant n registration over in KK?

Yup im in kk....
Sorry i make a new thread coz it doesnt says if the car still on loan.... and its quite old (maybe a few changes have been made)
And my friend told me years ago a bank/insurrance company didnt approve the transplant so he had to make a personal loan clear the loan than its approved
anyway im using L2s bodykit..... they already kacau me everytime hehehe :biggrin:

heheh no worries...was just trying to point u to another source of info.

serious ar they forced him to pay of the balance loan just to get the engine transplanted? what bank?

if they kacau u means yr car looks like a monster loh :biggrin:

Monster? nah... maybe a little la heheheh
All those other turboed kancil likes to cucuk me.... (maybe because of the bodykit.... in a standard kancil) Geram maybe hehehe
I cant remember which bank.....
Do i have to tell the bank? the car green card is in my hand already :biggrin:

Danz:
YA hor, we said to get our dream cars together lol...but i think by the time u get adi I also haven't get my car yet...

That's why now just modifying a bit on altis :smile:

VeaRN:
Give our Arturo bro here some "Thanks" la bro, he put a lot of effort to help you solve you problem with all the details tips and so on...

Member of his kind, is getting extinct adi :bawling:

hail to arturo :adore: :adore: :adore:

Arturo:
Eh, arturo bro, if u wanna get kancil 2nd hand, might as well ask VeaRN to wait for you then both transplant L2 engine together and rule the streets ma

*Cabut* :vroam:

Rule the streets? nah just going for stock setting only hehehe.... just dont racun2 me to mod :flute:
Sorry bout dat k Arturo... thanks

SF, now got good reviews bout RX7, how to buy leh...
sure the price increase wan.......if not for the initial D movie, i think RX7 price wont be so high now.....if modified altis also cun ma........slowly mod it bro......that time your altis can tapau any supra haha....

arturo..,,
now u say kenot afford la, but 1 day u will be able to........
manatau 1 day c u wid DC5......vs SF's supra Vs my RX7.

Danz...not interested in DC5 la...want play FR mah hahahah. i still prefer the old classics leh...rite now my heart towards FC3S hehehehe we both become the rotary brothers la wakakakakakakkaka but if strike toto will definitely get a AM v12 vantage. stim man see that car. hear the engine sound kaki oso lembik rooooooooar piak piak piak

SF...u apa la force ppl click thanks. :thefinger: wanna say thanks...say thanks to the person who wrote the guide. i oni copy n paste here. dun purposely put me on table can? u faster go mod yr altis...one day can tapau supra...while bringing 4 skirtties go eat McD summore. now thats wat i call monster :rofl:

Vearn...L2/L2s in kancil should be no problem la...the engine was originaly made for kancil mah. so when u going to do the transplant? found the donor car already?

Havent found the engine yet.... the nearest HC shop are stupid..... i asked i wanted an L2/L2S code EF-JL engine but they say ''theres no engine like that,all are EF only''... noob shop :stupid:

Vearn...u try contact AD EG...maybe he have lubang. from his website he's shipped halfcuts to Sabah/Sarawak n do pre-maintanance before shipping. he's a long time member in ZTH...

Danz:
Supra price gonna shoot up adi la...Initial D 5 features Supra in, really cialat, the more u pray u wont see a supra in Initial D, the more it will be there...damn! Shouldn't have think about it :banghead:

But hopefully by the time i can afford, it will be cheaper liao la...

Yes, altis is cun but no matter what surely can't beat Supra, even if convert to FR and put in 2JZ, I dun think can win, chassis not suitable for hardcore race like supra lo...

Just aim to convert to Corolla XRS nia...if got money lolz! Most probably just save most for Supra...haih...worse come to worse, just get a FD3S as well :biggrin:

Arturo:
He is new ma, teach him how to click thanks button ma hehe!

Just aid some mini skirts to my altis will do la...then can attract more mini skirties...then convert to 2-door like urs then only can see flashy stuffs...lolz!

You like classic which is why u will be putting a B18C Spec R in your EG :rofl:
Easily tapau both of us la...:adore::adore::adore:

Last edited: