How to Detail your Engine Bay (Basic)

From my 'trial and error' experience, before start spraying any water on your engine make sure u covered the 'exposed' wiring if any(many wiring running around exposed in older engine i.e. distributor), ballast and relay if u have hid system for your lighting.

Also if your spark plugs are on top of the engine i.e. b20 engine, cover it as well unless u have an air compressor standing by to blow out the water seeping into the spark plug holes.

The rest i believe is pretty much covered by others.

Ya also, my 93t old engine. Many sockets, like expose.
Need some times to prep it before do cleaning.

saw some videos in youtube. Seems like japanese cars wont have much problem with engine bay jet-washing, provided some proper covers of vital components....

Continental cars, have to be very careful though. The car might not start after engine bay wash.....and RM will fly away....

saw some videos in youtube. Seems like japanese cars wont have much problem with engine bay jet-washing, provided some proper covers of vital components....

Continental cars, have to be very careful though. The car might not start after engine bay wash.....and RM will fly away....:bawling:

Continental cars, have to be very careful though. The car might not start after engine bay wash.....and RM will fly away....

Yup, My VR, Hyundai (Mitsu Base) an even my Chery, I just wash and spray water all over. No cover anything. Hyundai have old spinning distributor, That need to open and dry just in case....lol

Yup, My VR, Hyundai (Mitsu Base) an even my Chery, I just wash and spray water all over. No cover anything. Hyundai have old spinning distributor, That need to open and dry just in case....lol

Actually need to worry or not if water gets into places with wiring like top of the injector?

Friend bought 2nd hand send to me for detailing, so clean his engine bay for him also....

Before

After

1) Best to wash when engine is cool
2) Cool the engine down with fan if it was running earlier ( an hour )
3) Cover vital areas ( Electronics, Plugs, wiring etc )
4) Soap it
5) Brush it
6) Dry it

* Detail engine bay only if you have air compressor

Here's a picture of my cleaning. No chemical or any special cleaning agents. Just wipe with plain water on wet cloth. 3SZ-VE on Avanza.

attachment.php

Before

attachment.php

After

Attachments

• DSCF9458.jpg
    DSCF9458.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC00304.jpg
    DSC00304.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 337
1) Best to wash when engine is cool
2) Cool the engine down with fan if it was running earlier ( an hour )
3) Cover vital areas ( Electronics, Plugs, wiring etc )
4) Soap it
5) Brush it
6) Dry it

* Detail engine bay only if you have air compressor

1) Sure must be cool loh......
4) Soap? Cannot loh! Most of the time need de-greaser, but nowadays got water base ones....:biggrin:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom