help help~~ Everything about brakedisc skimming

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

dmi3

Known Member
Jul 25, 2006
SIFU SIFU out there.... pls help ..
need to know where can i do slotted brake disc skimming and everything about brake disc skimming....
:confused_smile:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Bro, just take to any tyre shop they will do it for you. i think they charge more on cross drilled disc mine also cross drilled.

they are 2 method to skim the disc.
1. take out your disc and send to machine shop
2. attached a skimming device onto the brake caliper bracket and put the car into gear and let the wheels rotate by itself and the skimming process begins..

Jul 15, 2006
just go to the tyre shop and ask the person incharge...hehe skimming just only rm35...but if ur disc is damage already...go to kedai potong la...

dmi3

Known Member
Jul 25, 2006
hmm.. oh sifuss... thankz for the tips :D
but then .. as far as i know .. tyre shops must have the skimming machine only they can do ...
and i'm just not too sure that any tyre shop has it ...
and my disc i already taken out ... planning to slot skimming ....
just dunno where is the ideal place to do it only..
any recommendation ??

dmi3

Known Member
Jul 25, 2006
coz i just bought evo brakes set from chop shop
need to do skimming to have nice feeling lor.
usually skimming is needed when ur disc is already bend....
for my case.. i have the disc separated dy mer.
so mind as welll just go skimming it only lor .... coz if i put it on my car later and found out that it needs skimming arh .. charge more lor to take out and skimming..
so its just do everything once lor

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
dmi3,
Since you mentioned that your disc is slotted (means it has deep lines on it), I think you ought to be careful when skimming it. Maybe there is a special machine to skim slotted discs. I'm not sure but that's what I roughly think. Why I think so is because the last time I skim my disc, they use something like a machine. This machine has a small sharp thing that does the skimming. If your disc is slotted, my concern is that the small sharp thing may get "caught" in the slot and spoil the slot. Know what I mean?

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
may i ask a question ...

right now my disc have those lines .. like calar lidet , they call it "grooves" ? coz i din skim last time when i changed my brake pads ..

so if i go skim the brake disc now ... does it mean i have to skim the brake pads too?

if not after i skim the brake disc, the brake pads still wont be even right?

any advise?

AXXeLL

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Subang
Visit site
nitrus said:
may i ask a question ...

right now my disc have those lines .. like calar lidet , they call it "grooves" ? coz i din skim last time when i changed my brake pads ..

so if i go skim the brake disc now ... does it mean i have to skim the brake pads too?

if not after i skim the brake disc, the brake pads still wont be even right?

any advise?
dude, you skim your brake disc, and replace your brake pads if necessary.... never heard anybody do skimming on pads before...

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
AXXeLL said:
dude, you skim your brake disc, and replace your brake pads if necessary.... never heard anybody do skimming on pads before...
ohhh ok ok, whoops.. :cyclops: hmm.. if this's the case then have to wait until the next brake pads change first ... wow, dunno how long more..

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
nitrus,
What my mech did with my pads was he took it out and gave it a good clean scrub. hehehe No difference though. haha

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
satria_95,
u mean u went to skim ur disc after it had the grooves/lines , and used back ur same brake pads after ur mech gave it a good clean scrub ..?

Mr. Slow

Jun 7, 2005
Subang
My best advice, skim the disc and buy new brake pads. Makes BIG difference. If disc got grooves, go to any performance accesories shop and 99% they'll point you to a place that can do it.

simplythebest

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Selangor
nitrus said:
satria_95,
u mean u went to skim ur disc after it had the grooves/lines , and used back ur same brake pads after ur mech gave it a good clean scrub ..?
It is a brand new brakepad, before they install the pad, they will smoothen the surface abit.

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
simplythebest said:
It is a brand new brakepad, before they install the pad, they will smoothen the surface abit.
i c i c .. hmm, maybe my next brake pads change only i do it la .. hehehh.. coz think will waste my current brake pads if i skim n change them now, the brake pads are still not too old, not too new ...

Mr. Slow said:
My best advice, skim the disc and buy new brake pads. Makes BIG difference.
what do u mean makes big differences, as in the braking performance? better bite than with grooves?

dmi3

Known Member
Jul 25, 2006
satria_95 said:
dmi3,
Since you mentioned that your disc is slotted (means it has deep lines on it), I think you ought to be careful when skimming it. Maybe there is a special machine to skim slotted discs. I'm not sure but that's what I roughly think. Why I think so is because the last time I skim my disc, they use something like a machine. This machine has a small sharp thing that does the skimming. If your disc is slotted, my concern is that the small sharp thing may get "caught" in the slot and spoil the slot. Know what I mean?
bro .. my disc is not slotted yet...
its a half cut item mer..
so u can imagine ler.. how karat it is..
when i got it .. i kinda like brush up all of it .. and spray some anti-rust lacquer to it..
and now .. from a really bad looking disc but no more karat...
i need to skimming it .. and if can .. i need to slotted skim it..
and the thing is .. i need the sifu-sifu's recomendation where to do it?? around klang valey and selangor area ler..
THANKS~!

Mr. Slow

Jun 7, 2005
Subang
nitrus said:
what do u mean makes big differences, as in the braking performance? better bite than with grooves?
Easier to maintain lor, disc wont get damaged easily. If you just skim the disc but used the old pads chances are your disc will be just like before you skimmed it in 2 days time. Thats what most guys told me. So when I change my pads I always look at my disc too see if the surface were smooth or not. Easiest way to do this (when it's hot) is to run your car keys on the surface.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Helo all sifu, :adore:

Was wondering what the maintenance cost of a toyota supra..

example:

how much is servicing?

if i overhaul the engine how much?

if i change from auto to manual how much?

reliability?

and anything else that you think i should know...

plz help, thank you very much..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience