Help! car feeling very bumpy

soong2020

Known Member
recently i've found out that my car ( iswara 1.3 a/b) feeling very bumpy whenever i run on normal roads. not to say that the roads are in very good conditions, but it shouldn't be so bumpy. does this mean that i'll have to change a whole new set of absorbers for my car? how much would it cost if i wana change all of them with some better shocks that are serviceable in the future?

cos my car is 7 years old and i don't think that it's been changed before since i got it 2nd hand a year ago. btw, i've only changed its rim into 15" rims plus running on 195/50/15 tires on pressure 220psi (notify me if the unit is wrong)

appreciate all of u guys' help :)

when u do that, dont forget to check all the bushes too.

hmmm... budget wise i'm not sure yet cos i don't know the market prices for std oem shocks and aftermarket ones but don't think i have alot for it though. i was told that if change standard ones then every 5 years will have to change is it? and recently i was told too by an eneos guy that those aftermarket ones like GAB are serviceable by just changing the oil etc etc.

but now i'm not sure how big the difference is in terms of price of those two. so can u guyz tell me the prices of these two types so that i can see the difference? is it worth investing in those aftermarket ones or just stick to oem??

can also try 195/55 since you're on 15".......
more comfort...
anyway, I think for normal OEM shocks the price is less than RM400 for the whole set.
Yes, most aftermarket shocks are serviceble....but 1 time charge per piece is around RM100 for changes of seals, gas or oils....
obviously when u change to aftermarket shocks; you'll be getting performance stuffs whereby you'll need to sacrifice comfort...
all up to you!

mine too my wira se too the shocks i mean the car whole suspension sucks .... so floaty .... go to check already but everything is ok ohh .... i also dunno now still thinking any low costs run shocks ? or issit my spring problem ?

IMO its probably due to weakened absorbers.

absorbers are recommended changed every 100,000km or 5 years which ever comes first.

an almost new absorber can be changed as single unit when it has leaks but shocks that have weakned must be changed in pairs; either front pair or rear pair.

new absorbers are not expensive. a basic hydraulic ones will set u back between 120-150 per unit (front). rear is about 30 per unit. a gas-charged absorber will burn a bigger hole in ur wallet. but APM does produce reasonably cheap gas shocks for wira/iswara. just shop around first for best price!!.

becareful however if the price gets too cheap - it might be rebuilt absorbers. nothing wrong with them but normally u get shorter warranties. maybe 1 month??

i suggest its a good time for you to consider changing a set of suspension with different setting. lowered sports spring, adjustable or pregresive rate springs...

the options are just as wide :D

I think for most wira SE; there's this problem of feeling floaty; especially at the back...
dunno why....when I sat in my friends car also felt the same thing.

zan said:
IMO its probably due to weakened absorbers.

absorbers are recommended changed every 100,000km or 5 years which ever comes first.

an almost new absorber can be changed as single unit when it has leaks but shocks that have weakned must be changed in pairs; either front pair or rear pair.

new absorbers are not expensive. a basic hydraulic ones will set u back between 120-150 per unit (front). rear is about 30 per unit. a gas-charged absorber will burn a bigger hole in ur wallet. but APM does produce reasonably cheap gas shocks for wira/iswara. just shop around first for best price!!.

becareful however if the price gets too cheap - it might be rebuilt absorbers. nothing wrong with them but normally u get shorter warranties. maybe 1 month??

i suggest its a good time for you to consider changing a set of suspension with different setting. lowered sports spring, adjustable or pregresive rate springs...

the options are just as wide :D

ohh icic. in that case may i know what's the difference between hydraulic and gas-charged ones in terms of performance and comfort level? haha i don't think my pocket's deep enough to change to those adjustables as they will cost me a bomb

since my car also needs to change its drive shafts which will cost me another few hundreds so add up together will be like around 1k already ... damn

:sad_smile:

hydraulic absorbers are actually the most comfortable in standard form.

the gas type absorbers also contain hydraulic inside, but combined with another tube filled with gas. the ride is slightly harder but u gained better body control.

coil springs do weakened also after some time. it is called metal fatigue.once happened, it will go out of shape especially when compressed and the rebounce wont be same to new unused ones.

what happened to the drive shafts?? making noise is it?? normally the problem lies at the outer end of the drive shaft...or known as kepala. that can be changed separately. many2 types available for us to choose

from the taiwan made RM60 per piece to genuine costing about RM150. RM80 also have, RM120 also have. the differences are in quality and warranty.
get advice from a trusted mechanic first. let's say must change complete shaft, u may consider either used one, rebuilt or new whicc does not cost a bomb. max RM180 per side...defeinitely can get lower.

get quotations first although workshops will hesitate to do so if they think u want to compare prices. he he he...

yeah the driveshafts are making sound whenever i turn left or right. i asked a mech before and he said that the kepala there already worn out. can do the easy way by changing the rubber cover but won't last long. so that's why hav to change whole batang. back ones also i think kinda worn out according to him.

btw, thanks man for your advices. i'll ask around the prices from different workshops to make comparisons :regular_smile:

for now, i'm planning a set of oem hydraulic absorbers for front and back. hehe hope i get some sponsors then can change to better ones :_:

Top Bottom