Grid Driving Vs Drift Driving - The Fastest and The Safest Driving Technic

Yeah I also watched the God Hand episode. I even try to copy the driving style but still face oversteer. Can any one explain the technicality of grip driving i.e cornering angle, steering angle,entry and exit speed etc etc... It look easy than do it.

erm~~I think to improve grip driving.
Just my 2 cents.
1. more negative chamber for all wheels.
This give the car more grip during corner.
2. Caster angle (positive angle). A good caster angle will gives you better directional stability.
3. take the straightest path. Less steering angle. throttle control.

erm~~I think to improve grip driving.
Just my 2 cents.
1. more negative chamber for all wheels.
This give the car more grip during corner.
2. Caster angle (positive angle). A good caster angle will gives you better directional stability.
3. take the straightest path. Less steering angle. throttle control.

Good info. Any sifus here, pls enlighten us on how to improve your grip driving.

Yeah I also watched the God Hand episode. I even try to copy the driving style but still face oversteer. Can any one explain the technicality of grip driving i.e cornering angle, steering angle,entry and exit speed etc etc... It look easy than do it.

u should try to copy both god of hand and god of foot huhu

but u have to remember to much chamber u will lose stability on the straight.

and for me its all about practice2,cuz driving is such a subjective topic, some ppl do it that way some do it the other way,just look at track driving,drifting and also rally driving its all the same driving, but yet diff techniques.

nowdays there's a lot of racing video on youtube to learn from and also there's a few cheap defensive driving class, owh if u guys are really passionate try to get this book inner speed secret,its everything about driving.

owh im telling dis not cuz im a sifu's but im passionate about driving =D

Last edited:

all depends on what car, what setup

general rule is for RWD brake in a straight line, take the outside line, turn in a little late, aim for the apex and progressively open the throttle (this is very obvious and you obviously knwo this one i think pocong..) slow in, fast out

FWD means going for the apex early, giving you the space you need to power out of the corner.

i think more advanced drivers have variations of these two basic techniques...esp with the RWD layout

well fi you guys are interested, i have a friend who does advanced/defensive driving classes for the AAM... minimum is 15 people and its 400 bucks each

all depends on what car, what setup

general rule is for RWD brake in a straight line, take the outside line, turn in a little late, aim for the apex and progressively open the throttle (this is very obvious and you obviously knwo this one i think pocong..) slow in, fast out

FWD means going for the apex early, giving you the space you need to power out of the corner.

i think more advanced drivers have variations of these two basic techniques...esp with the RWD layout

well fi you guys are interested, i have a friend who does advanced/defensive driving classes for the AAM... minimum is 15 people and its 400 bucks each

Yeah... I know the general rule. However, it seemed that FWD car is easier to handle in grip driving compared with RWD. When I drove my Citroen ZX 16V (FWD) at Ulu Yam everything feels control-able and easy when I attacked the corners but in my 280Z I struggled to keep the tail from oversteer. In order to avoid the slide, I had to floor the trottle gently during exiting corner. By doing it, I felt the exiting speed was much slower and less aggresive than FWD. In FWD I even can do fast in-little dab on brake-turn and hit the trottle fast out with much less drama. I cant do the same in RWD. How?

pocong, i am currently organizing an advanced driving course HERE. read post #95 as its the updated one. let me know if you are interested.

pocong, i am currently organizing an advanced driving course HERE. read post #95 as its the updated one. let me know if you are interested.

yeah.... I saw the posting before. I interested but have to check the schedule on my Chiang Mai trip. I afraid there are postponement or cancellation due to " Pig Flu".

When will the last day registration?

Yeah... I know the general rule. However, it seemed that FWD car is easier to handle in grip driving compared with RWD. When I drove my Citroen ZX 16V (FWD) at Ulu Yam everything feels control-able and easy when I attacked the corners but in my 280Z I struggled to keep the tail from oversteer. In order to avoid the slide, I had to floor the trottle gently during exiting corner. By doing it, I felt the exiting speed was much slower and less aggresive than FWD. In FWD I even can do fast in-little dab on brake-turn and hit the trottle fast out with much less drama. I cant do the same in RWD. How?

hahaha welcome to the club...i think most people have this problem

hence why people always say RWD is hard to drive...hard to drive what? hard to drive fast!

but i have been in a RWD car with a qualified driver at the wheel... and around the corners and out of the corners, trust me...its a lot faster than FWD

he got on the throttle quite early(plays with it a fair bit), and even as the tail was coming out it was all under control...
steering input was like 'goreng kueyteow' la wahahaha

Agree with farizio, RWD is a bit hard to drive fast but once you get the key. Then it will be very fun to drive compare to FWD. RWD let you practice your throttle control more then FWD. I have both FWD and RWD car. I drive them alternately and FWD is easier to drive but I found that RWD car is more fun with all the steering correction you have to do when the tail slips.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R73BtSujm7g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R73BtSujm7g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

heres a vid of an AE86 grip driving

RWD is faster round corners cos you can let the tail come out but still have it under control and grip your way out of the corner...it also has better turn in

bnyk main minyak/steering

takign a hairpin in a FWD car would suck compared to what RWD can do :P

Last edited:
Both fwd or rwd have their advantage and disadvantage,both are for me can be driven fast,just watch british touring car championship(btcc) or wtcc, those chevy are fwd and yet there are as competitive as the bmw's which are a rwd.if rwd are faster y choose a fwd rite?

but there are saying frm the westerner that a proper race car shud be a rwd.
its a personal thing haha:rofl:

Most proper race car is RWD, most high end race is RWD.... F1 F4 A1, Super GT500 GT300.Sometimes it`s not about who fast at the corner when racing....it`s about tires management.FWD car is fast at corner but when losing grip (after hard braking/running), they will losing traction and control.They will having difficulities to maintain position

Last edited:
Most proper race car is RWD, most high end race is RWD.... F1 F4 A1, Super GT500 GT300.Sometimes it`s not about who fast at the corner when racing....it`s about tires management.FWD car is fast at corner but when losing grip (after hard braking/running), they will losing traction and control.They will having difficulities to maintain position

Very2 bright infos. Yes, tires management is one of the BIG factor why most racing car are RWD.

Bump:

Very2 bright infos. Yes, tires management is one of the BIG factor why most racing car are RWD.

pocong - 280Z requires a little more care when driving. Due to its age and overall design, its handling is not on par with the newer cars today.

Just practice. Enter at speed but do not press too much throttle until apex. From there, gently squeeze it out. The tail comes out just right on throttle at the apex until you have exited and straigthened out.

The number one problem is fear. Most people automatically counter-steer as a normal reflex. The key is to keep the line tight as you can, straight as you can, minimum counter-steer using throttle control.

But yeah, you have to counter steer if you have too much tail out.

it doesnt matter on FWD or RWD..most important is Driving Skills and you must have "Ball of Steel"..:thefinger:

Top Bottom