Go Light Weight

starscream

Known Member
Aug 18, 2007
And have anyone "used" the following below?
1.JE forged pistons for 4G92 MIVEC?
2.Jun high cams
3.dry oil sump
4.Jun lightweight flywheel
5.Lemburg & ferodo 580'c pads
6.Kaaz 1.5 power pot lsd
7.TORCO engine oil
8.pillow ball mount
9.GAB SS series adjustable
please share your exp on the durability and performance gains or the pro & cons....or whatever u experience with the above..thanks

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
My mech advice me not to take out my power steering..he says its not worth the trouble..please advice...anyway how long would a Hq carbon fiber would last & the cheap ones?
have u drive saga or iswara before?how do u find it?is the steering heavy for u?
if not,i'll say it worth the trouble.:).
cheap carbon fibre hood usually have trouble with their clear coting.it wont last
long under extreme heat n uv ray like our country while the hq 1 r better built.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
starscream,
if you plan to go lightweight, join the club. i've already stripped my car to almost the bare essentials. what remains are the aircon, power steering and the other parts to make the car work obviously.

so far like what gt_auto mentioned, the removal of the sound deadening material has already given me ~30kg off. also removed the interior trimmings and seats except for passenger and driver (on race days the passenger seat obviously goes, save 20kg there), spare wheel with tools another 20kg as well. changed the driver njoy recaro to a full bucket which brings a nett weight loss of 10kg. so as you can see my putra's kerb weight is below 1 ton. but, this is to offset the weight of the rollcage which is like 30kg, along with my weight, 65kg. if you do plan to reduce weight, do it properly, because you'll begin to feel that handling characteristics change due to the uneven weight distribution ie. right side is heavier.

starscream

Known Member
Aug 18, 2007
starscream,
if you plan to go lightweight, join the club. i've already stripped my car to almost the bare essentials. what remains are the aircon, power steering and the other parts to make the car work obviously.

so far like what gt_auto mentioned, the removal of the sound deadening material has already given me ~30kg off. also removed the interior trimmings and seats except for passenger and driver (on race days the passenger seat obviously goes, save 20kg there), spare wheel with tools another 20kg as well. changed the driver njoy recaro to a full bucket which brings a nett weight loss of 10kg. so as you can see my putra's kerb weight is below 1 ton. but, this is to offset the weight of the rollcage which is like 30kg, along with my weight, 65kg. if you do plan to reduce weight, do it properly, because you'll begin to feel that handling characteristics change due to the uneven weight distribution ie. right side is heavier.
Thanks you so much for share such a significant information (u provid a figure of each item reduce) i respect such detail...but if the car is to light i have a problem..which is the rebound (correct if wrong) on LDP above 120Km/h the undulation cause my car to bounce up..which is extremly dangerous in corners...so wat i had is mind in to reduce the weight in front as much as posibble to achive as much as i can to the center for a better distribution..i do understand the limitation..which can never achive a short chassis car...i beleive what is need is a GAB ss series to slowly tune my car until it satisfy me...but this is just my idealogy...it differs from individual...here is my plan please advice me...best that u give the pro & cons...

1. weld my strut tower (front)
2. Raliart top mount
3. Auto foam ( i realise that if a light accident will destroy my chassis
4. Ultra racing bars
5. GAB SS series (light & allow 32 point adjustment...)

please advice on the braking system as mine is a original single pot brakes..dont plant to change the twin pot due to weight...i believe a single pot is sufficient...but need a good pads...and do u happen to know which PCD 100 rotor is the best?? im terms of lasting...thanks

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
how light you wanna go? my own car for drag not only strip down to bare metal inside but also involve of throwing out unneccesary brackets and cut alot from the inside...there are few things that are quite heavy in weight, window glasses, hatch back door (if u are driving a hatch back car), fuel tank, i had a RCI fuel tank (plastic material) to replace the heavy metal tank,carpets,sound deadening,door panels and also the dashboard and its wiring. oh ya and the seats too ... especially the passenger seat. by throwing all this u can reduce alot.... further will be fibre bonet and drivers weight...

too add more hp in cheap way... remove aircond,power steering. use a shorter belt to drive only the water pump and alternator

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
starscream,
no worries. what do you mean by 'weld my strut tower'? are you implying that you want to brace both shock towers together? also, i don't see how the GAB SS is lighter than other suspension brands offering a similar solution.

renxun,
will eventually go this way once the putra is a dedicated track car. BUT, i think starscream is looking for maximum weight reduction while maintaining the integrity of his ride as a road legal vehicle. but yeah, replacing the windows/windscreen with perspex/acrylic alternatives would save quite a lot of weight.

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
how light you wanna go? my own car for drag not only strip down to bare metal inside but also involve of throwing out unneccesary brackets and cut alot from the inside...there are few things that are quite heavy in weight, window glasses, hatch back door (if u are driving a hatch back car), fuel tank, i had a RCI fuel tank (plastic material) to replace the heavy metal tank,carpets,sound deadening,door panels and also the dashboard and its wiring. oh ya and the seats too ... especially the passenger seat. by throwing all this u can reduce alot.... further will be fibre bonet and drivers weight...

too add more hp in cheap way... remove aircond,power steering. use a shorter belt to drive only the water pump and alternator
bro renxun,the method u mention above is not suitable for street leh....:biggrin:
sure will get confiscated if the authority see it.

starscream

Known Member
Aug 18, 2007

Thank you for sharing your information...but this is a track set up..which i cant do it cos i need to drive my car to work...

starscream

Known Member
Aug 18, 2007
starscream,
no worries. what do you mean by 'weld my strut tower'? are you implying that you want to brace both shock towers together? also, i don't see how the GAB SS is lighter than other suspension brands offering a similar solution.

renxun,
will eventually go this way once the putra is a dedicated track car. BUT, i think starscream is looking for maximum weight reduction while maintaining the integrity of his ride as a road legal vehicle. but yeah, replacing the windows/windscreen with perspex/acrylic alternatives would save quite a lot of weight.
"BUT, i think starscream is looking for maximum weight reduction while maintaining the integrity of his ride as a road legal vehicle" = PRECISELY

Initially i thought of installing a pillow ball mount..but i found out that my welded area at my strut tower might crack...so my mech advice me to add metal piece & weld it from below..the area where the strut mount is located.. as for the GAB SS i personnally carry it & felt much lighter than my current HA series...

what is want from my ride is LEGAL, responsive on both steering & acceleration, smooth reving, smooth deacceleration at high rpm..since i installed ultra racing bars i wish to make sure to strengthen other areas because my mech told me too many bars might result in chassis deformation.... please advice with any information.... i drive a proton wira please read the earlier posts for more info...

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
bro, for the daily basic use, just follow below few items are good enough already.
1. no power window.
2. light weight wind screen
3. small size battery
4. no spare tyre for the city drive.
5. look for GSR disc plate ( tinner compare with mivec )
6. use 4G91 air con compressor.
7. no ICE inside , just remain CD player with stock speaker.
8. light weight sport seat.
9. light weight sport rim with high performance tyre.
10. Performance clutch set and lighten flywheel.
11. Light weight tower bar and lower arm bar.
12. Single layer radiator and half face air con condensor.
13. After market 421.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
starscream,
i'd suggest a systematic step by step approach in order to fully appreciate the changes made. also, remove items that you would either not regret or have much difficulty putting them back in.

try removing the front and rear passenger seats and everything that's currently in your boot like the spare wheel, tools, random stuff, plastic trimmings and the carpet. then drive your car around some choice roads, preferably the ones you travel daily so that you have a baseline of how your car felt before and after the reduction in about 50kg from the car. if you've hit a sweet spot, then you know you should reduce ~50kg from the car. then put back the stuff you really need (ie. front passenger seat) and take note of the weight of each item you've removed or put back in this case, then work on removing other items or lightening them.

like i said, remove/add items that do not sacrifice YOUR personal comfort because ultimately, you're using it for street.

one more point, you should read up on the effects of reduction/addition to SPRUNG and UNSPRUNG MASS of a vehicle.

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
bro, for the daily basic use, just follow below few items are good enough already.
1. no power window.
3. small size battery
13. After market 421.
this seem more reasonable for street......:burnout:

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
if u would like to maintain as street legal car perhaps the first few things u should target will be rotational mass, example,flywheel, rims, tyres.... this few things will make your car lighter and more rev happy...further will be as i said earlier the RCI fuel tank..maintain stock audio... dont install all those subwoofer and unneccesary stuff inside your car...keep your self healthy and maintain a fit weight.your exhaust piping... use thin type of stainless steel without the mid box and a good rear muffler. for the rims maybe you can start from volk racing... i found out that the range for volk racing rims are mostly very light
... oh ya... as other members say also.... the spare tyre... remove it....and since you removed your spare tyre.. perhaps the jack should be remove too

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
starscream,
like what renxun said. i think you should go no larger than 14" wheels if you're wira is the 1.3/1.5 model and no larger than 15" for the 1.6 or 1.8 model. you could check out the volk ce28n wheels as they seem to be the lightest 15" wheels available and next in line is the desmond evo regamaster.

renxun,
could you PM me details for this RCI fuel tank? as in where you got it and for how much yeah? thanks.

starscream

Known Member
Aug 18, 2007
1. no power window.
3. small size battery
13. After market 421.
4G91 air con compressor = is it durable? how light is it compare to MIVECs?
light weight sport seats = which is one of the lightest n comfort?
high performance tyre = which 195 50/R15 82V tyre is the lightest?
thanks

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
4G91 compressor is durable for normal use, but pls do not high rev alyways.
just switch off ur air con when u want to enjoy with hi-rev.
If u are look for comfortable, then u need to stop asking about the light weight.
For those carbon seat, normally might cost u $$ few thousand.
High performance tyre u can go for Toyo R1 either Yokohama Neova.

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
4G91 air con compressor = is it durable? how light is it compare to MIVECs?
light weight sport seats = which is one of the lightest n comfort?
high performance tyre = which 195 50/R15 82V tyre is the lightest?
thanks
first of all,sport seat is not comfortable especially the light 1 as the lumbar
support is thin.second,light tyre???the different among them r mere grams
not kilo bro.

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
first of all,sport seat is not comfortable especially the light 1 as the lumbar
support is thin.
second,light tyre???the different among them r mere grams
not kilo bro.
not to question your opinion, brother. but those grammes, they really add up to quite a lot!

that's how superbikes are lightened over the years what?

engineers removes a gram here n there.
waisted bolts, drilled calipers, magnesium and carbon fibre instead of alloy or aluminium, miniscule stuff that we ignored.

we haven't talk about F1 weight saving techniques yet, have we?
like how they weigh the car before and after paint, how much weight the stickers are n stuff like that?

starscream

Known Member
Aug 18, 2007
thanks to all whom give opinion...im gathering as much info as i can to modify my car to suit me...i believe i need all the info on weight reduction so i can achieve a better weight distribution of my ride..hence i would reduce my front weight as much as possible (i believe it would reduce under steer expecially downhill)...i even thought of fabricating my own crossmember to a light weight ones..(im in steel fabricating industry..but not automotive)..well conclusion is MONEY..haihzz ill try my best...