Fixed vs hinged strut bar...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Confused... Different people say different thing... Which is better? Some report that fixed strut bar do not have hinge and will cause you chassis at the strut tower to tear during chassis flex. Is it true?

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
The rigidity of most fixed strut bar is not enough to cause the chassis to tear. At most, the fixed strut bar will flex at it's weakest point. Hinged strut bar only limits chassis flex if force is applied at certain direction only, like:

(force)---> <---(-force) OR (force)<--- --->(-force)

while fixed strut bar is more effective in limiting chassis flex from more directions.

Last edited:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
The sole purpose of strut bar is to prevent chassis flex..

a fixed strut bar will do just that..

a hinged strut bar will bend at the joints. thus allow chassis flex.. in other words is useless..

peace.. out :burnout:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
The sole purpose of strut bar is to prevent chassis flex..

a fixed strut bar will do just that..

a hinged strut bar will bend at the joints. thus allow chassis flex.. in other words is useless..

peace.. out :burnout:
Haha... Af first I also thought of this.... but after some study and simulation, I found that the important thing in the function of the strut bar is that as long as the length of the bar remain the same, is serves its purpose. The angle between the mounting and the bar doesn't matter. I mean of course if it is fixed, it is better. But the incompressibility of the bar (side to side ---> <---) is more important than the angle between the mounting and the bar. Erm... You get what I mean ka? As in when one strut tower tries to pull/push away from the centre, the bar will resist it because it cannot be compressed. The length of the bar is still fixed.

Actually I'm just afraid that the bars tear the chassis haha... Still confused...

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Veloc, actually installing a strut bar helps to prevent chassis tear, not the opposite.. :biggrin:. The area around the strut tower is very strong and rigid. Try to knock the metal and you'll get what I mean. Also, any kind of metal however strong it is, can still flex and so does the strut tower. So, it won't just crack like that, don't worry.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
imho, a hinged STB will still allow some movements at the hinges, but it still does its work though less effective than a one-piece fixed STB. Will fixed tear apart the chassis? I think the chassis will suffer more metal fatigue from chassis flex than the cons from a fixed STB can cause, in actual fact fixed STB help to reduce the flex for you.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
A fixed strut tower bar

A hinged strut tower bar

Danz, you are no newbie:thefinger: wolf in sheep's clothing nia.:tongue:

Last edited:

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
i cant see whats the differ between both of em,he he.
both are fixed,the differ is that the below one can give some flex .owhhhh i get it.haha.bye!

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
YYC : thanks bro.....i thought so it was like that...i just wanted confirmation......
mine is hinged ones....cos can adjust.....but if UR all fixed rite?

hehe....but really la...i got confused a while just now between fixed & hinged ones....

but my suggestion if a person's car had a front accident before, better to use hinged ones.....cos the chasis might be bent, if use fixed ones scared cannot fit......happened to me in my satria.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Give a thought on the type of material used in the strut bar, different material and diameter the strut bar gives different level of strength. So imho a proper spec strut bar will snap upon impact when force exceed certain limit. But I have not seen or encountered such event. Anyone can confirm or share this?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Haha... Af first I also thought of this.... but after some study and simulation, I found that the important thing in the function of the strut bar is that as long as the length of the bar remain the same, is serves its purpose. The angle between the mounting and the bar doesn't matter. I mean of course if it is fixed, it is better. But the incompressibility of the bar (side to side ---> <---) is more important than the angle between the mounting and the bar. Erm... You get what I mean ka? As in when one strut tower tries to pull/push away from the centre, the bar will resist it because it cannot be compressed. The length of the bar is still fixed.

Actually I'm just afraid that the bars tear the chassis haha... Still confused...
ok.. lets do an experiment..

take a piece of paper (preferably from ur dustbin to save paper & trees..)

now tear it with ur hands.. easy right? coz ur hands are independent from one to another

then, take a regular/hinged handcuff & handcuff urself & tear the same size paper.. not so easy right? but still can tear..

now, take a fixed handcuff (one piece of metal to handcuff urself) & tear.. almost impossible right?

ok.. now read the experiment again & replace this words..

Paper = Chassis
Hand = Absorber
Handcuff = Strut bar..

Gudluck :burnout:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
ok.. lets do an experiment..

take a piece of paper (preferably from ur dustbin to save paper & trees..)

now tear it with ur hands.. easy right? coz ur hands are independent from one to another

then, take a regular/hinged handcuff & handcuff urself & tear the same size paper.. not so easy right? but still can tear..

now, take a fixed handcuff (one piece of metal to handcuff urself) & tear.. almost impossible right?

ok.. now read the experiment again & replace this words..

Paper = Chassis
Hand = Absorber
Handcuff = Strut bar..

Gudluck :burnout:
Hahaha.. Very nice analogy... But sure is you use the fixed handcuffs, and got a strong force pushing the hands, the hand won't tear away ya :tongue:... :vroam:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Hahaha.. Very nice analogy... But sure is you use the fixed handcuffs, and got a strong force pushing the hands, the hand won't tear away ya :tongue:... :vroam:
hehe.. good question..

of coz the 'hand' will brake..

but.. i rather replace the 'absorber' then to replace the 'chassis'..

:driver:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
the meaning is..

it's better to get a fixed strut bar (one piece of metal) like this..

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
front absorber chasis area is flex inward or outward rather than flex upward/downward.

other word, either fixed or hinge both can help reduce unwanted flex. but fixed will works better. my car all is use hinge type just wori too strong chasis in front will make my car center chasis too soft. the force from cornering cannot be stop but rather than transfer to chasis other part such as A-pillar.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

If you follow the industry updates, you would be aware that the first-ever Mercedes pickup truck is based on the current Nissan Navara, and to be officially launched Oct 25 in Stockholm, Sweden.

Knowing what the 3-Pointed Star pickup truck will be based on, it’s easy to imagine that the company will aesthetically make it blend with its brick-ish commercial vehicles; Actros and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience