EJ/EK Ignition problem

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Hi guys,

I'm driving a local EJ Civic model without any modifications, except that i have an amp and woofer. I won't even consider that modifications. Anyways, last time i use to have this problem, that is when i crank up the car, the engine just wouldn't start. The car goes dead and then you have to crank a few times before the engine starts. Then when i serviced the car, changed the plugs, the mechanic added just a simple 15cm long cable in which he says is a grounding cable to improve cranking. It helped the ignition for like 6 months and lately, i'm suffering from this problem again. At times, i have to crank like 5-7 times before the engine starts. I just sent to another mechanic and he says its not the battery problem, as itsx 1 year old only. He says i need to add another bigger grounding cable. I just don't think this is the solution as the first time i added the grounding cable, it only reduced this problem and not fixed it. Right now its coming back and i don't wanna be adding like 30 more grounding cables, i wanna solve the problem once for all.

Today the mechanic wanted to charge me RM30 for a short grounding cable, that is probably worth RM5. He says its common for EJ/EK Civic to have ignition problem. I just told him i will consider. Meanwhile, i hope you guys can give some opinion on this ignition problem. Who has similar experience.

Thanks!

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Starter might be worn already, depending on what kind of sound you get when you get a failed start.

Test cranking your engine with a multimeter prongs in the starter plug.. if the voltage is okay.. then it's some other problem.

Dirty injectors, possible oso.. but you'd feel it while driving as well.

So much possibility, so check that starter to see if it's getting enough juice or not.. if not, then start exploring other possibilities. If power to the starter is okay, test the starter.. maybe the starter not so healthy already, so cannot turn over the engine properly the first time out.

civicmind

Known Member
Jun 28, 2005
Cheras, KL
prodigy said:
Hi guys,

I'm driving a local EJ Civic model without any modifications, except that i have an amp and woofer. I won't even consider that modifications. Anyways, last time i use to have this problem, that is when i crank up the car, the engine just wouldn't start. The car goes dead and then you have to crank a few times before the engine starts. Then when i serviced the car, changed the plugs, the mechanic added just a simple 15cm long cable in which he says is a grounding cable to improve cranking. It helped the ignition for like 6 months and lately, i'm suffering from this problem again. At times, i have to crank like 5-7 times before the engine starts. I just sent to another mechanic and he says its not the battery problem, as itsx 1 year old only. He says i need to add another bigger grounding cable. I just don't think this is the solution as the first time i added the grounding cable, it only reduced this problem and not fixed it. Right now its coming back and i don't wanna be adding like 30 more grounding cables, i wanna solve the problem once for all.

Today the mechanic wanted to charge me RM30 for a short grounding cable, that is probably worth RM5. He says its common for EJ/EK Civic to have ignition problem. I just told him i will consider. Meanwhile, i hope you guys can give some opinion on this ignition problem. Who has similar experience.

Thanks!

bro, i had similar problem like urs when i bought my car first in 2004. whenever the car stops, the starter will not work and i need to crank 6-7 time in order to start the car again.

solution for me was, change to electronic starter from chop chop shop.cost me RM150, but solve the problem once n for all.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
What is an electronic starter?

I've only heard of alternator and distributor but what is a starter?

jingut_04

Known Member
May 5, 2004
i think what they mean is starter motor ler.kena already,same model as yours,change the battery,same result.then,change the starter motor.It resolved

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A vehicle based on the Chevrolet Beat concept, which swept through auto shows around the globe and the Internet earlier this year, will go into global production, Chevrolet announced today at the 2007 Los Angeles Auto Show.

An online poll that attracted more than 1.8 million voters helped influence the decision to take the concept to production. The distinctly styled A-class car will be initially targeted to markets outside of U.S. and Canada, starting in mid-2009.

“The people have...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience