DIY - help on baby power amp installation

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

boyzone

2,000 RPM
guys,

I plan to DIY on my Blaupunkt quadro BQA 120 4x30W.
Just would like to ask if I tap the supply from stock head unit, is it able to support?
For the fuse, how many amp should I put?
Pls advise.. Thanks.

should be able to power it up... but once the music is on... you might burn the wire and cause fire in your ride... its not safe... even with the fuse... unless its a 5A fuse... but then that way your amp will use a lot more than that..

anyway... a power cable at least 8awg is needed directly from the battery... safer... fuse at lest 30A.

cheers....

the in line fuse should have a value as close as possible to the one onboard the amp itself.....if more than one amp, then the sum of the fuses on all the amps.

that mean I need to tap fr battery?
If I tap from battery, that mean I should use 60amp fuse ? even though just a small amp?
Pls advise... Thanks.

well the fuse can be changed... just go to the electronic shop and give them a sample and tell you what value you need... i am sure there are pleanty of calue for you to choose from...

judging by ur knowledge... i guess its better u pay a lil for the installer to get it done for u instead of u connecting the wrong wires and burn the amp instead. However, always pay close attention if u do send it to installer. I learn most of my diy by observing:biggrin:

yes totally agree with bafukie...Dont simply DIY anything if you not too sure..
just pay some fee to any installer to get it done and you will learn from them how the amp is fixed...And when you planning to get the 2nd amp you will know how to DIY

2nd amp no nid to tarik more cable... jz change from single fuse into 4 fuse one. ask the installaer to install the fuse at the back. normally i use the fuse at the back because the fuse tend to be melt due to engine hotness... jz my opinion here. correct if im wrong

i said instead of installing the fuse beside the battery, better put the fuse beside the amp. can save the fuse from melting due to the engine hotness

i said instead of installing the fuse beside the battery, better put the fuse beside the amp. can save the fuse from melting due to the engine hotness

how hot is the engine bay to melt fuses?

if you put the fuse beside the amp and not near the battery, you need to consider the whole length between the battery and the fuse. and use a smaller fuse size.

most people would recommend a distance of around 6".

this is because, if you dont put a fuse near the battery and a short happens, there too much of unprotected (no fuse upstream) wires that can burn before the current actually reach the fuse :)

unless, you're using 0AWG wires to power your amp and you're only using 30 - 60A fuse inline.

there must always be a fuse near the battery, no more than 18 inches.

on the amp side, if one amp only usually we dont add another fuse. if more than one amp, then we will add the distribution block with fuse, got 1 to 2 or 1 to 4, see la your upgrade plans...

regarding the power cable thickness, depends on how powerful your amps are. just check the fuse on the amp. if using one amp then 8awg is ok la. if going to use 2 or 3 amps then better get 4awg. if planning to use high power amps, then better get 2awg or 0awg, kautim.

read this: http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

and this http://www.soundstream.com/Support/tech/power_cable.htm

Last edited:
liddat ka? normally i put the fuse beside the batter, end up the fuse casing will melt.... >.< buy jz normal 50 bugs fusee only. later i use the 4 fuse one and locate it under the passenger carpet. then tarik the wire until the boot since my capacitor is located there. it jz my simple solution for preventing the hotness to melt my fuse cover. the thing can be seen quickly if i often go attack genting as i maintaining high rpm all the way... :) i never realise it nid to be count coz my brother is from electrical engineering and he guide me the DIY stuff. he never mention about it b4. the only he mention is if there is any leakage of the wire b4 the fuse, it might danger la since the fuse is way too long from the battery.

Last edited:
always always always install a fuse within 18 inch of the battery. Mine also plastic but never melted. in fact i have not seen anyone fuse melted juz because its hot. Its made to withstand the heat anyway. Den from the fuse within battery only tarik another cable to ur distribution block (if u have more than 1 amp) or straight to ur single amp.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom