CPS (Cam Profile Switching) vs VVTI vs DVVT

Hi Erik,
Thanks for your feedback. In terms of top speed, have you tried it comparing both? I believe CPS Manual is more responsive?? About the FC, it is really painful to know it...

Hi,
I owned a Vios 1.5 vvti auto before and now driving a Statria Neo CPs auto 1.6.
These are my impressions;
Vios vvti 1.5 auto:
Quick throttle response from the start
Revs freely all the way to 160 kph
Feels powerfull for 1.5 engine
Very feul efficent 14.5 km to a litre of petrol
Neo cps 1.6 auto:
Slow throttle response,
only really gets working from 4,000 rpm onwards.
Struggles to reach 150 kph
Engine feels gutless and needs constant high rpm to feel some rush
Drinks petrol! 8 to 9 km to a litre of petrol

Not yet...
Btw, I still prefer CPS as is the cheapest almong the comparison.:biggrin:

Yup, cheapest amongst all the beasts out there.... should be reliable as well. Seldom heard about Satria Neo R3 though...any sharing out there so far as I haven't been connnected to ZTH for quite sometime now.

CPS vs VVTi vs DVVT...?
Where is JinKL. I like his answer on this...hehe

Bump:

Campro CPS is only 125hp meh? I'd thought it has more 140hp as few fellas claimed that it can beat certain 1.8cc car.
Vtec, no word necessary. The best in NA cat, far better than the C**pro CPS.

I doubt CPS has 125whp......

I doubt CPS has 125whp......

On paper yes...97kW or 125bhp. Not sure when go on-wheel dyno, what the reading will be....last time, like the SGTI, on paper is 137bhp but on-wheel dyno, it was tested to be less than 125bhp. Would it be the same case here?

my 160bhp engine turn out to be 130whp on dyno, I reckon the CPS will have about 100whp, but according to the earlier post here, which stated peak torque of CPS is 4500rpm, that is pretty bad.

I sat in satria neo couple of times, i can say it has pulls, pretty impressive for a proton.

but to compare the pull with other variable engine of same displacement, CPS' engine respond is too slow, sadly to say.

still awaiting any CPS can actually archeive 120whp on a dyno (a benchmark figure for stock 1600cc)

My understanding is that with Cam Profile Switching and Variable Intake Manifold, Campro CPS is like 2 engines in 1. One is optimized for low rpm (long intake manifold & less aggressive cam profile) and another optimized for high rpm (short intake manifold & more aggressive cam profile).
The following video might explain better: YouTube- Secret behind the Campro CPS(cam profile switching) engine of the Proton Gen2
Anyway, this technology is also used by 2010 Range Rover, Discovery 4 engine LR-V8 and also - according to the video, Porsche.
So I think it all depends on how well the Engine Management System on the Engine Control Unit is set up among other things as this engine is clearly a drive-by-wire type.

ok, quite impressive video.....

but, it has to work in reality too....interesting....shall be awaiting coming results n hope to see improvements

1.6L with 125ps output which is still able to euro4 control
is consider good output already.
Btw, cam profile setup is mainly for low end and mid range for street use.
And this what we need for daily city drive.
For those 90s 2 stage cam engines, is design on low and high range.
However, high cam kick in at 5500rpm is pretty high for street use. :biggrin:

1.6L with 125ps output which is still able to euro4 control
is consider good output already.
Btw, cam profile setup is mainly for low end and mid range for street use.
And this what we need for daily city drive.
For those 90s 2 stage cam engines, is design on low and high range.
However, high cam kick in at 5500rpm is pretty high for street use. :biggrin:

When is the turbocharged CPS going to be in production? Heard since last year that they were developing it already....then, it might be interesting to find out the capability. So far, haven't heard of a heavily modified CPS on the road. Correct me if I was wrong.

When is the turbocharged CPS going to be in production? Heard since last year that they were developing it already....then, it might be interesting to find out the capability. So far, haven't heard of a heavily modified CPS on the road. Correct me if I was wrong.

I imagine they would adopt an electronic turbo and do away with the Variable Intake Manifold...most of the R & D would probably be to re tune the EMS/ECU from VIM to turbo to achieve optimum performance...

Hi,
I owned a Vios 1.5 vvti auto before and now driving a Statria Neo CPs auto 1.6.
These are my impressions;
Vios vvti 1.5 auto:
Quick throttle response from the start
Revs freely all the way to 160 kph
Feels powerfull for 1.5 engine
Very feul efficent 14.5 km to a litre of petrol
Neo cps 1.6 auto:
Slow throttle response,
only really gets working from 4,000 rpm onwards.
Struggles to reach 150 kph
Engine feels gutless and needs constant high rpm to feel some rush
Drinks petrol! 8 to 9 km to a litre of petrol

Is the Vios using a throttle cable or drive by wire?

I know proton's CPS is drive by wire, so I probably blame it for the throttle response... Have you ever heard anything electronic thats Malaysian made thats good? :rolleyes:

I imagine they would adopt an electronic turbo and do away with the Variable Intake Manifold...most of the R & D would probably be to re tune the EMS/ECU from VIM to turbo to achieve optimum performance...

What do you mean by electronic turbo?

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

I read somewhere Proton kicks in high @3800 rpm

This applies to Proton Waja, Gen-2 and Exora. For Satria Neo CPS, it changes from low cam to high cam @4,400rpm.

What do you mean by electronic turbo?

Well, there are turbo chargers that spin using the airflow from the exhaust manifold, and there are ones that spin from an electric motor that can be electronically controlled to give whatever intake airflow that is needed for the engine to reach optimum performance.
I imagine Campro will use the later...

Btw, have any aftermaket piggyback can put in Campro /Campro CPS ?
Have any info?

I think the problem with Campros is mainly in low revs...so - I may be wrong - ideally the the turbo can fix that and be used until the Campro is at its element...Conventional turbos kicks in @ a certain rpm when the waste gate closes, so I don't think this will help with Campro's low rev issues...

I think the problem with Campros is mainly in low revs...so - I may be wrong - ideally the the turbo can fix that and be used until the Campro is at its element...Conventional turbos kicks in @ a certain rpm when the waste gate closes, so I don't think this will help with Campro's low rev issues...

I thought this issue has been resolved by the CPS technology? When you press the pedal to the metal, the rpm won't go as high as you wanted and also, it will change gear at the not right rpm and speed...or what they call as torque dip. Has anyone heard of one of the inventions called 'Surbo'? It works like a turbo according to the advertisement...

Boyzone: I believe someone has said that the piggyback could be used on the CAMPRO/CPS engine before in my forum. No time to check it for you la bro... :P Feeling lazy.....

Boyzone: I believe someone has said that the piggyback could be used on the CAMPRO/CPS engine before in my forum. No time to check it for you la bro... :P Feeling lazy.....

oh ok.
Have to ask first as my next car will be Gen 2. :biggrin: