CPS (Cam Profile Switching) vs VVTI vs DVVT

So, what is the catch here? Thx for your view....

The Cam Profile Switching (CPS)

The Campro engine is the first automotive engine ever developed together with Lotus by the Malaysian carmaker, Proton. The name Campro is short for Cam Profile. This engine powers the Proton Gen-2, the Proton Satria Neo, the Proton Waja Campro, the Proton Persona as well as Proton's future models. The Campro engine is aimed to show Proton's ability to make their own engines that produce good power output and meet newer emission standards.

All Campro engines incorporate with drive-by-wire technology (specifically electronic throttle control) for better response,[1] eliminating the need for friction-generating mechanical linkages and cables. There have been some issues with cracking oil pumps but apparently Proton have introduced a new part recently to solve this problem. A recall has not been announced.

All Campro engines incorporate with drive-by-wire technology (specifically electronic throttle control) for better response,[1] eliminating the need for friction-generating mechanical linkages and cables.

no friction but throttle is now got S-L-O-W response.. :stupid:

yes, direct fast response still is cable throttle....
still very miss those 90s 2 stage cams engine such B-series and Mivec :biggrin:
especially those machines are set up with simple and basic ( no ABS, No friction control ..bla..bla )

Boyzone,
Why you said you missed those technologies? I believe in today's technology, it is more fuel efficient but in terms of power, I am not sure about that. The traction control thing, will make your car slower right...? I am interested to know what the new Perodua MPV got to offer....it looks nice but with 1.5L engine in it?

yes, direct fast response still is cable throttle....
still very miss those 90s 2 stage cams engine such B-series and Mivec :biggrin:
especially those machines are set up with simple and basic ( no ABS, No friction control ..bla..bla )

The Cam Profile Switching (CPS)

The Campro engine is the first automotive engine ever developed together with Lotus by the Malaysian carmaker, Proton. The name Campro is short for Cam Profile. This engine powers the Proton Gen-2, the Proton Satria Neo, the Proton Waja Campro, the Proton Persona as well as Proton's future models. The Campro engine is aimed to show Proton's ability to make their own engines that produce good power output and meet newer emission standards.

All Campro engines incorporate with drive-by-wire technology (specifically electronic throttle control) for better response,[1] eliminating the need for friction-generating mechanical linkages and cables. There have been some issues with cracking oil pumps but apparently Proton have introduced a new part recently to solve this problem. A recall has not been announced.

u sure tis campro engine is developmant by lotus?? if i nt wrong, 5 years ago elise ord use TOYOTA 1.8 VVTL-i until now. if SNeo use toyota 1.8 vvtli plus 6speed, sure ll be best selling hatchback in malaysia, maybe world oso.

well...not sure when Lotus has connection with Toyota though. Anyway, 1.8vvti in Toyota Celica is not that powerful also but it sure looks good. Maybe I am wrong...:burnout:

u sure tis campro engine is developmant by lotus?? if i nt wrong, 5 years ago elise ord use TOYOTA 1.8 VVTL-i until now. if SNeo use toyota 1.8 vvtli plus 6speed, sure ll be best selling hatchback in malaysia, maybe world oso.

Boyzone,
Why you said you missed those technologies? I believe in today's technology, it is more fuel efficient but in terms of power, I am not sure about that. The traction control thing, will make your car slower right...? I am interested to know what the new Perodua MPV got to offer....it looks nice but with 1.5L engine in it?

I'm not sure with CPS fuel consumption.
But, my 90s engine still can provide me with 10km~12km /L in city drive. :driver:
Btw, 10cc with 1ps++ engine output is consider push the engine /technology to the limit for those 2 stage cams engine :biggrin:

The 2-stage-cam engine, I like it when it is engaged on the 2nd stage-high cam...but would it be a limitation without a turbine in it? I have seen a Mivec N/A with ~190bhp, not sure whether the block is 1.6L or 1.8L (rojak). As for my personal ride, I still prefer Turbocharged engine...

I'm not sure with CPS fuel consumption.
But, my 90s engine still can provide me with 10km~12km /L in city drive. :driver:
Btw, 10cc with 1ps++ engine output is consider push the engine /technology to the limit for those 2 stage cams engine :biggrin:

The 2-stage-cam engine, I like it when it is engaged on the 2nd stage-high cam...but would it be a limitation without a turbine in it? I have seen a Mivec N/A with ~190bhp, not sure whether the block is 1.6L or 1.8L (rojak). As for my personal ride, I still prefer Turbocharged engine...

me more + on an all-motor setup.
turbos is like too much power.
the car then hafta be beefed up to take all of 'em = higher overall car price.

IMO they have a lot more on areas where they can improve the CPS la. 125bhp @ the fly fer the cps is like wtf? honda did it with a sohc vtec years ago (and it's a 1.5 litre motor )

faster throttle response, more power, better delivery, maybe switchable fuel maps between aggressive-normal-limited (i can dream can't i? :rofl:)

If cps can reach 160ps with 1.6 engine, then only consider improve.
But, still behide ppl 15~20 yrs.
Actually, that is not easy to lead the technology as need to invest a lot of money in R&D.
Anyways, cps in proton consider good improvement. Just wait for turbocharge in campro.
:biggrin:

Yeehah !! Turbocharged engine...I like it though. but turbo engine has turbo lag problem...not sure about the campro. Anyone heard about the Surbo system?

If cps can reach 160ps with 1.6 engine, then only consider improve.
But, still behide ppl 15~20 yrs.
Actually, that is not easy to lead the technology as need to invest a lot of money in R&D.
Anyways, cps in proton consider good improvement. Just wait for turbocharge in campro.
:biggrin:

below 0.5 setting should not have turbo lag, just mainly to improve on torque. :biggrin:

me more + on an all-motor setup.
turbos is like too much power.
the car then hafta be beefed up to take all of 'em = higher overall car price.

IMO they have a lot more on areas where they can improve the CPS la. 125bhp @ the fly fer the cps is like wtf? honda did it with a sohc vtec years ago (and it's a 1.5 litre motor )

faster throttle response, more power, better delivery, maybe switchable fuel maps between aggressive-normal-limited (i can dream can't i? :rofl:)

The switchable fuel mapping theoritically can be implemented quite easily if 'they' want to.

Recently, there was a review in Top gear Malaysia for Satria Neo CPS vs Suzuki Swift vs Nissan Latio...the road was genting highlands, going up hill. Outcome of the verdict was Swift came on top in terms of performance, stability and N.S.H. They commented that CPS was underpower eventhough it is a 1.6L CPS. Any comment anyone?

Recently, there was a review in Top gear Malaysia for Satria Neo CPS vs Suzuki Swift vs Nissan Latio...the road was genting highlands, going up hill. Outcome of the verdict was Swift came on top in terms of performance, stability and N.S.H. They commented that CPS was underpower eventhough it is a 1.6L CPS. Any comment anyone?

In auto or manual tranny??

btw, power to weight ratio should be put in comparison.:biggrin:

Sorry, not sure about that...but I believe it's a fair comparison though. Did you guys see the review?

In auto or manual tranny??

btw, power to weight ratio should be put in comparison.:biggrin:

Hi,
I owned a Vios 1.5 vvti auto before and now driving a Statria Neo CPs auto 1.6.
These are my impressions;
Vios vvti 1.5 auto:
Quick throttle response from the start
Revs freely all the way to 160 kph
Feels powerfull for 1.5 engine
Very feul efficent 14.5 km to a litre of petrol
Neo cps 1.6 auto:
Slow throttle response,
only really gets working from 4,000 rpm onwards.
Struggles to reach 150 kph
Engine feels gutless and needs constant high rpm to feel some rush
Drinks petrol! 8 to 9 km to a litre of petrol