Cooling System Question...

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Just need some inputs....

Have been noticing that my radiator's spare tank water decreases about 1 cup every 1~2 days drive...
Done preassure test, no noticable leaks are detected anywhere and preassure does not drop...

What could be the problem?
Should i add coolant or just plain sky juice?

Thanks,

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Decreasing water also means a possible gasket leak (coolant leaking into combustion chamber), among other things related to the coolant system like the water pump seals, radiator tank/hoses, etc.

10KRPM

Known Member
Dec 24, 2006
Just need some inputs....

Have been noticing that my radiator's spare tank water decreases about 1 cup every 1~2 days drive...
Done preassure test, no noticable leaks are detected anywhere and preassure does not drop...

What could be the problem?
Should i add coolant or just plain sky juice?

Thanks,
Not much point using coolant in a warm country like malaysia. Coolants only used in 4 season climate countries coz the coolant doesnt freeze up unlike water.

A

achor

why don't u check the hose that goes on the top part of the engine. rev the engine for a while. if there's a leak with the hose,i might show itself then.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Not much point using coolant in a warm country like malaysia. Coolants only used in 4 season climate countries coz the coolant doesnt freeze up unlike water.
There is a point in using coolant to an extent, and that is to prevent 'tarnish' that plagues most aluminium radiators.

A

achor

i have to agree with shiroi...

using coolant to prevent rust. using normal tap water which is full chlorine is bad for the radiator. i'm using filtered water which seems to last my water pump without any rust for a full 70,000 to 80,000 without any signs of rust.

after all if stop and go traffic; which is by the way too common in kl, i think u'll need some coolant to help lower down the working temperature of the engine.

10KRPM

Known Member
Dec 24, 2006
true that guys. Well when i live in malaysia, i never used coolant in my cars but in saying bout rust, i have seen a car here in nz having its radiator rust even after using coolant. How do you explain that?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
A lousy coolant perhaps?

Incidentally, I don't think you're supposed to to put 100% coolant into the radiator. And distilled water is better as it doesn't have any minerals and what not that might collect at the bottom of your reservoir or anywhere in the radiator.

Aluminium radiators use a different type of coolant compared to copper based radiators. I read somewhere u can't mix and match between the two coolants.

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
true that guys. Well when i live in malaysia, i never used coolant in my cars but in saying bout rust, i have seen a car here in nz having its radiator rust even after using coolant. How do you explain that?
coz u didn't using "Air Tulin Kaki Tiga" or Osmosis Water...

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
As for rust, that one is probably because the water mixed with coolant is full of sediments..

When I meant 'tarnish', I mean like your aluminium block, you notice that left long enough, it has that whitish spots you can scrape off. That's the tarnish I was talking about.

Rust will occur, because water + salty sediments is ever present, unless you use filtered water/RO water/etc.. but that's also not 100%.

Coolant is supposed to be mixed with water.. for me, I go with filtered water + coolant

I use the Motul Inugel Expert Ultra, premixed with filtered/RO water.

Some part of the instructions.
Do not use pure product. Mix with soft water according to the required freezing protection : refer to chart
To maintain anti corrosion properties, do not dilute below 33%.
Water for dilution : If possible use soft water : Maximum hardness 35°Fr and chlorides and sulfates
maximum contain 50 ppm.

As you can see, you can't dilute it too much, or it loses it's anti corrosion properties, and you HAVE TO use clean filtered water.

I've used it for the last 100,000kms, and the water's still blue in colour, the radiator is still clean, and I only needed topping up twice since I first filled it, the first time when the radiator wasn't full yet, and another, when I changed my fan switch and water leaked out (if you know how to do it without the coolant leaking out, let me know, I'm VERY INTERESTED :P)

So far, I've never topped it up since those two times, and the radiator cools pretty well, my temps are in the 80-90 range, and never exceeds 90 degs celcius.

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Well well well just some update...
problem lookk like solve by changing to samco hoses.... he he he
No , actually added coolant, top up h20, ran engine to ensure all
air bubbles was out, changed another radiator cap and so far level
of water i spare tank is maintaining the max level after some driving...
So not really sure the actual cause...anyway happy that it is solve...
And one with spare spoon 1.3b radiator cap for sale?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello guys.

I can't find any thread on NGV. Any idea about NGV?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of NGV vs Petrol/Diesel?

From what I know NGV price is cheap, which means by installing NGV tank into our car, we are gonna save lots of money. But bearing in mind, the tank is heavy which will cause the fuel consumption higher. We are also gonna sacrifice our boot space..

But currently lots of NGV stations are being opened...what will happen if all new Proton and Perodua vehicles use...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience