air filter setup

kenzui

Known Member
Nov 6, 2008
hi zthians and sifus out there..modifying standard air filter to open pod air filter with heat shield and CAI will improve the car horsepower dramatically or just a little?and roughly how much will it cost to do this?thanks alot :biggrin:

kenzui

Known Member
Nov 6, 2008
thanks for the info csl but y is it not worth?not much gain?cause most of the modified cars i seen mostly install the drop in with CAI..so better go with the normal intake n just add a drop in air filter?thanks

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Without tuning, the gain is limited. Drop in K&N has the best reputation. Some people put in all the gadgets from the market but the car perform worst than an ori car.If buy high end CAI, you better get Emanage or something else with the same or lower price. Buy chepo CAI may lead you to bad fuel consumption or lost of pickup and dirty things are not filter properly. Lead to long term sickness. Car nowadays are intelligent. The ECU or PCM will control the AFR. Regardless how good is an air filter or system, your engine suck this much, the injectors will inject accordingly. Even you don't use CAI, you open a hole in your bonnet and put a funnel onto your throttle body, you will get about the same. Then people will tell you big throttle body lar, this lar that lar.

If you are using a normal car, keep it standard will make you happy. Want power? Save money for engine transplant or turbo kit/supercharger or etc. Spend money wisely. Those filter, exhaust and etc can forget about it. Don't you see many car mod till kaw kaw but when pickup from traffic light, can hear sound very power but the car moves like a turtle.

zenlim

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Don't you see many car mod till kaw kaw but when pickup from traffic light, can hear sound very power but the car moves like a turtle.
Lol bro..your description is damm funny.:rofl::rofl:

kenzui

Known Member
Nov 6, 2008
thanks for the advice bro..but what would u suggest to modify for satria gti?stock standard quite boring la..hehe

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Whats your budget again?
We all here can suggest you to make ur GTI to become a showcar if unlimited budget man :rofl:

kenzui

Known Member
Nov 6, 2008
Whats your budget again?
We all here can suggest you to make ur GTI to become a showcar if unlimited budget man :rofl:
haha..nice one bro..im planning to do a little by a little..what can i start of with 1k?thanks in advance

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Haha ok, now weve got a budget.
Your car is totally standard right?
I'd just got for an open pod + entire exhaust system for 1k... Extractors all the way to muffler change :biggrin:

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
go for apexi dual funnel.foooo,gain most horsepower.
rather than hks mushroom,but u can get cheap hks mushroom from as low as rm50.
muehehehe.

m using it,sr20det,my frens using it,B8,all ok,no problem

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
The HKS 1 damn fast the throttle body gets dirty if you live in a dusty area...

I'd vote for the Apexi or K&N air filters! Buy ori, the pirated ones suuuuuck (Not in a good way)

kenzui

Known Member
Nov 6, 2008
Haha ok, now weve got a budget.
Your car is totally standard right?
I'd just got for an open pod + entire exhaust system for 1k... Extractors all the way to muffler change :biggrin:
thanks for the advice bro..actually the car is not mine yet..its in the process..getting it soon already..hehe..the car is not exactly standard..the previous owner changed the exhaust already but dont know what brand la..n the extractor doesnt look like the standard one so im guessing he changed s well..i just need some opinion on what to modify after i get the car with 1k...hehe..u suggested open pod rite?whats the difference between open pod and cold air intake?open pod is the filter and cold air intake is the steel pipe that connects the air filter?:banghead: correct me if im wrong..really new to this..hehe..thanks again

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Yeah, the CAI/cold air intake is just the pipe leading to the filter. The open pod is an exposed air filter, not the drop in type... If its a manual I rather go for open pod cause its easier to mod the engine in the future, compared to drop in it still has the stock airbox and whatever~~

Haha no probs dude, take a picture of the engine then share it with us :biggrin:. Im sure we'd love to see it...

kenzui

Known Member
Nov 6, 2008
Yeah, the CAI/cold air intake is just the pipe leading to the filter. The open pod is an exposed air filter, not the drop in type... If its a manual I rather go for open pod cause its easier to mod the engine in the future, compared to drop in it still has the stock airbox and whatever~~

Haha no probs dude, take a picture of the engine then share it with us :biggrin:. Im sure we'd love to see it...
hmm..so meaning to say by modifying the air filter i will have to change to the cold air intake/CAI with an open pod filter is it?correct me if im wrong..hehe..u recommend apexi air filter rite?for the cold air intake what brand should i look for?thanks alot

sure bro..once i get the car i'll take a few pics n share with u guys to have a look at it..hehe

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Oh no need weih, if you install a CAI u got to drill ur bumper to pasang. Im not a fan of it, I think change the filter is good enough... :rolleyes:

The CAI no branded ones that I can think of except billion, no point branded stuff lah. The cai is like ur plastic flexible lonkang pipe with a cover in the front thats all, it just directs fresh air to ur air filter...

I'd go for K&N first choice though, personal preference and I trust them :driver:

Youre welcome!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My 10 year saga has already experinencing "makan engine oil' symptom where smokes coming out from exhaust. Does it really need to overhaul to cure this. normally how much does it cost? Any alternatives(cheaper). Thnks for helpin.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience