Advice on the best rim size for astina!

MajPayne

Known Member
Greetings Gear Heads,

I would like to ask some advice with regards to choosing the right rims and offset for my car an astina 323fbg. recently, i went round to the various dealers looking for a nice set of new shoes for my lady and came up on some questions, like whats offset? or whats the best for my car? im interested in a 17" x 6.5 0r 7 Largo 3. anyone knows if it'll fit? can't seem to find the offset info though...

my biggest concern is choosing the wrong rim and offset seize that will sacrifice comfort (im already sacrificing by choosing 17") and rubber (rubbing the side wall)...

can anyone point me in the right direction..

Cheers

Safest way is to get the tyre shop to "show fit" the rims ontu your car.
As in get them to temporarily fit one rims ontu your car preferably with tyres.
Youre main concern would be the tyres hitting your wheel arches and your absorber housing.
The arches you can knock out, but the absorbers you either gotta change them to adjustable ones or find some other rim...

CHEERS

Hey ya guys,

Found out that for an astina nothing will work for offset under 42, nothing less. I went to the tyre show fitted, tried, didn't work kept rubbing on the walls. the rims i wanted were 38's but i didn't try them on with spacers (crossing fingers will try again) cause it rained heavily that day. Well off for another try. am looking at offsets with 38's + 8mm spacers, or 40's with 6mm spacers..... looks to be another adventure, will postup some pics later.

Cheers.

I would advise against spacers unless they come with spigot ring.
Don't wanna screw up your wheel bearing and bolts seeing that Astina's are over 10 year old cars... I just changed my rear wheel hubs cause the wheel spacers screwed up the bolts...

Take your time to look around for rims, if youre lucky some chop shops might even have a perfect fitting rim for your ride...

If you are to use 8mm spacer then it would be advisable to change the bolts to longer ones... Don't want your wheels to come off while driving now would you...

CHEERS

hmm, now thats some worry right there... true that, didn't think of it. and i don't think the rims come with the correct O/spigot rings, this is a worry. thanks dude.

The 323F BG can accommodate alloy wheels with an offset between 35 and 45. Ideally you should go for something like et38 for up to 16" wheels. For 17" and above i would recommend buying the exact correct size wheels for your mazda, or the bigger wheels will rub against the suspension strut or wheel arch.

Quote it from: http://www.popuplights.co.uk/alloys.htm

Offset

Offset is the distance from the centerline of the rim to the mounting surface. More offset moves the rim in, less moves it out. So if you go from 50mm to 40mm the new rim will be 10mm farther out than the old rim. 25.4mm equals 1 inch.

The problem we will face when offset is less is tyres hitting the fenders not the inner wall or the absorber / springs ( those with adjustable asb can use rims with less offset by making the car higher to prevent the tyre from rubbing the fender). The only thing is ur car might look like a 4 wheel drive, where the left and right tyres has a broader base, for some they like it that way.

When the offset is more that the stock, this will be a problem for all. because it will hit the inner walls and the absorber. There is no way to correct it.

I think is nice to get a rim with lesser offset but not too less. For those who are using spacer, plz dun use it unless u got a custom made spacer which fit it properly, not those u get from tyres shops. If u want ur wheel to be out get a rim with low offset. then match with the proper tyres to prevent hitting on the fenders.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey guys,

after all that consideration, i've decided to go safe with 16" s for now.
until I find a set of 17"s that i can't live without hehehe... Thanks for all the feedback though.

Cheers.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom